Page: 1

cabaret - london

Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
cabaret - london#1
Posted: 10/25/07 at 2:52pm
I went to see this excellent production again the other day with the new cast. I know this is something of a "marmite" production, but I love it, and I love productions where there is such a split of opinion. For me this is finally a production of Cabaret that doesn't go for the easy, lightweight approach; all too often any message is lost in the superficiality of other productions. I did like the Donmar production and I do revisit it from time to time on dvd (burned from an old taping of it!)

Julian Clary was really not good at all - he lost any sense of the Emcee and was just...well, Julian Clary and this just did not work here. To be fair (or not) I didn't expect much from him so I guess I shouldnt be so annoyed that that is precisely what I got.

Amy Nuttal - very good, despite me also not sure about her casting as Sally either. She pretty much nailed the part and gave an impressive performance.

It was nice to have a Fraulein Schneider who was "up to it" - much as I liked the last cast, Honor Blackman really didn't do much for me then.

Barry James is a treasure. I have never been disappointed in anything he has done and he was fantastic here.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: cabaret - london#2
Posted: 10/25/07 at 5:00pm
Wait until Biggins takes over in January!!!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 10/25/07 at 05:00 PM
Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: cabaret - london#2
Posted: 10/25/07 at 5:42pm
And all it would need is Su Pollard as Sally Bowles to completely put me off the show!!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: cabaret - london#3
Posted: 10/26/07 at 7:12am
I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't underestimate the Biggins. He's a fine actor (as long as he can be bothered).
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: cabaret - london#4
Posted: 10/26/07 at 7:19am
Ive know Biggins for about 20 years and even im not sure about him taking on the Emcee and he knows it. Anyhow its not definate yet but he has been asked.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 10/26/07 at 07:19 AM
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: cabaret - london#5
Posted: 10/26/07 at 8:14am
he is a decent actor but it is the "when he can be bothered" bit, which has not gone unnoticed in things he has done before, that immediately negates any acting skills he has for me
Updated On: 10/26/07 at 08:14 AM
Clara's Pony Profile PhotoClara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: cabaret - london#6
Posted: 10/28/07 at 9:13pm
OK, so I saw the new cast quite recently (my third viewing of this production, with all three casts). Julian Clary is simply dire, can't sing for toffee. Can't say his acting was too great either (PS I'm a fan of his normally, absolutely love his appearances on Just a Minute etc - got the feeling he should really stick to that stuff...) Amy Nuttall wasn't bad, I wasn't blown away but the performance was fine. The only Sally I've missed was Kim Medcalf - her understudy was on that day. Rebecca Bainbridge was probably the most impressive of them all - has anyone else seen her? Excellent singing, acting, dancing, and most of all, characterization. She should really get the chance to play that role full-time before it closes (I doubt that will happen sadly).
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
frazzlemonkey
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: cabaret - london#7
Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:20am
According to an interview with Julian in a sunday paper magazine thing yesterday, he is in it until march or so it says...
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: cabaret - london#8
Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:33am
Biggins is in panto until mid January but he is quit honest in saying that he isnt that keen on doing 'Cabaret'. I met him for a drink the night he sawthe show and he wasnt taken by it!
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: cabaret - london#9
Posted: 10/29/07 at 1:35pm
" I met him for a drink the night he sawthe show and he wasnt taken by it!"

phew - then that makes most of the theatre-goers heave a sigh of relief as we would not be taken by him if he were to appear.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: cabaret - london#10
Posted: 10/29/07 at 2:35pm
Meow!
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: cabaret - london#11
Posted: 10/29/07 at 4:32pm
Well he is hardly a draw anymore. Not that he was ever taken seriously. Bless. And if he feels he can turn his nose up at productions (which is his perogative) we can certainly reciprocate towards him.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: cabaret - london#12
Posted: 10/30/07 at 5:50pm
He packs out panto every year and directs and stars in them too! The rest of time can be found at The Ivy or J.A's!
I walked past the Lyric today and i must say i thought Julian looked rather good in his Emcee drag.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: cabaret - london#13
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:35am
Why the vitriol for CB? I don't get it? Personally, in the right production of Cabaret, I think he would make a fascinating Emcee. But this is not the right production of Cabaret, as I've said before.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: cabaret - london#14
Posted: 11/7/07 at 11:21am
I love and adore Biggins and as ive said before have now know him for over 20 years since i did a fantastic 13 weeks in panto with him. He is so used to the view the public have on him. He finds it hilarious that the press take the piss of him as a celebrity that goes to the opening of an envelope. To this he will just give you one of his contagious laughs and say 'at least i get invited, my dear!' He is an absolute angel and great fun at dinner and a great critic to see shows with.
He is a great actor who's CV ranges from the Internationaly acclaimed TV series 'I, Claudius' thru 'Clue', 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' and 'Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?' to 100s of other shows. He is one of the most saught after performers and directors of panto in the country today.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: cabaret - london#15
Posted: 11/7/07 at 1:53pm
I have fond memories of watching 'On Safari' with Biggins and Gillian Taylforth back in the early 80's.

Christ i think i'm showing my age
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: cabaret - london#16
Posted: 11/7/07 at 1:55pm
'Surprise! Surprise!'