new Dracula musical

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
new Dracula musical#0
Posted: 9/9/06 at 11:03am
I know that Dracula (or any other vampiristic) musicals do not have a great track record for success, so I was a little trepidacious about the prospect of yet another one. But I had my pre-ordered copy of a new concept album, "Dracula", from Dress Circle last week and it's well worth a listen. The music by Chris Orton is absolutely wonderful. The cast is very strong, headed by Michael McCarthy as Dracula and including the always fabulous John Barr.

http://www.dracula-uk.com
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
tigerlily2
Understudy
Understudy
re: new Dracula musical#1
Posted: 9/9/06 at 11:12am
There was a Dracula a few years back that came out of Canada that had some GORGEOUS music. I don't know if the book was any good but the music was fantastic.
Updated On: 9/9/06 at 11:12 AM
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: new Dracula musical#2
Posted: 9/10/06 at 11:39am
Oh god no more vampire musicals grrrrrrrrrrr

I was lucky(unlucky)enought to see dracula on broadway and it was the most sleep inducing show i have ever seen.
The sets looked great and some of the effects were ace but there is only so many times you can see people flying around the stage before even that gets dull.
The score was also one of the worst i have ever heard,no effort had gone in to it at all.With the exception of the song Life after Life every song was worse than the previous.
I was amazed this ever got to broadway ,it shouldnt of got out of it's workshop stage.

I also saw lestat and dance of the vampires.

Lestat was another one what suffered from really bad music but even the sets couldnt save this as all them looked cheap to.
Hugh pinero who played lestat was good as were a couple of others but that was really it.
They were 1 good song in it as i recall ,i think it was called Sail me Away but apart from that,again the score was weak

Yet i happened to love Dance Of the Vampires,the whole show was so silly and OTT but it knew it.The sets and lighting blew me away(this decades phantom of the opera)and some of the music was really good(if not very 80s jim steinman sounding but he did write it so what the hell hehe).
I loved the songs eternity(performed in a huge graveyard)For Sarah,Vampires Dance,Total eclipse,Braver than we are,and many many more.
It was such a shame this flopped because compared to dracula and lestat this was fantastic.

xx
Carmen
Swing
Swing
re: new Dracula musical#3
Posted: 9/10/06 at 3:02pm
How can you dismiss this new recording out of hand when you haven't even heard it? Every new show should be judged on its own merit. You are rubbishing this new recording without even listening to it. I have heard it and I think that it is one of the best new musicals to appear in a long time. Considering that it is only a concept album, the production alone is worth the price of the CD. The performances are great; real musical theatre performers, the music is superb, the lyrics are intelligent and the story is faithful to the book. Maybe it's too good for some people to appreciate, but believe me, you are going to hear a lot more about this new musical. I for one wish them luck. If everyone reacted in the same way you have done, musical theatre would have died long ago.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: new Dracula musical#4
Posted: 9/10/06 at 4:26pm
I have to echo what Carmen wrote. No one should ever dismiss a musical without even hearing it. And certainly no one should dismiss this new Dracula without hearing it. Obviously, there is no way of knowing whether it works as a show without seeing it on stage - but on the CD, the score is stunning as are the performances. I urge everyone to grab a copy and judge for yourselves.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 9/10/06 at 04:26 PM
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: new Dracula musical#5
Posted: 9/10/06 at 5:52pm
Woooooh Dracula lovers calm down ,that was called an opinion!!!

Im not dismising the new shows at all,im just saying the genre has been done to death.
They seem to have run out of ways to make the dracula story intresting in musicals thats all.

Im not saying this new production issnt gonna be the greatest think since the 1st man walked on the moon ,im just saying the genre doesnt seem to have anywhere new to go,and i think most musical fans(especialy thoose stateside what had to sit through dracula or lestat)would agree.

I would like to hear the new recording of this new dracula show but would not form an opinion from a recording(a lot of the music for Carrie was great but the production was bloody awfull)
I just dont see anymore vampire shows going in to New York anytime soon,Maybee they should try london.
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: new Dracula musical#6
Posted: 9/11/06 at 3:31am
"I just dont see anymore vampire shows going in to New York anytime soon,Maybee they should try london."
Yes please, a proper English translation of "Tanz der Vampire"!
Carmen
Swing
Swing
re: new Dracula musical#7
Posted: 9/11/06 at 4:59am
Sorry to go on about this, but this proves a point. You haven't even read about this new musical, or heard it, and you assume it is American. If you had bothered to look it up, you would have seen that it is a brand new BRITISH musical, written by BRITISH composers and starring a BRITISH cast.
For God's sake, give it a chance!
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: new Dracula musical#8
Posted: 9/11/06 at 6:10am
Wasnt there a Dracula (or a vampire) musical touring the uk the other year that hoped for London but bombed on tour?! Im sure there was.

Its not saying the show wont be good, but either side of the atlantic vampire musicals seem a hard sell. The CD may be brilliant, but getting an actual production together is a whole other story.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: new Dracula musical#9
Posted: 9/11/06 at 6:28am
There was a pretty awful tour of Dracula as a straight play last year that advertised itself as 'Prior to the West End' without actually getting there...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: new Dracula musical#10
Posted: 9/11/06 at 6:51am
ah maybe thats what im thinking of
toby3
Swing
Swing
re: new Dracula musical#11
Posted: 9/11/06 at 11:50am
Lets bring this back to the original subject, shall we? The subject being the new Dracula musical by Orton and Evans, with orchestrations by the noted British composer and MD, Ian Lynn.
http://www.dracula-uk.com
Yes. There have been a few musicals, based on vampires that have specifically not worked on Broadway but lets not become hysterical. Several others have worked throughout Europe. It is grossly unfair to pre-judge any new musical and to dismiss it out of hand by comparing it to those that were given their chances to be produced (at a cost of many millions). They might not have worked for many people but that’s the nature of the business. It seems that some people are determined not to like this subject.
I noted on the Dracula musical site that this new work was started long before many others and, so far, the concept CD is selling very well at Dress Circle in London and via the internet. Also, judging by the synopsis of the book with this CD, I can see no reason why this particular gothic musical cannot be staged successfully by any competent director.
I have obviously listened to the CD and have done so several times. It is a very well crafted work and one which I, for one, recommend. As this is a concept, it probably does have some way to go to reach perfection. Then again, what show can claim that?
This type of show might not be to everyone’s taste in musical theatre. Those who like their shows to be jolly sing-a-long pop / rock musicals would probably not be interested in this totally original and story driven work. Alas, there are not many of those being produced in Britain these days. If you, like me, enjoy an appealingly edgy and intelligent musical for grown ups then you will love this new work.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: new Dracula musical#12
Posted: 9/12/06 at 10:42am
Ok im not dissing the show im just saying the vampire musical has been done to DEATH.

Also Toby3 you cant call this show ORIGINAL as the story has been reformated so many times in musicals films tv books cartoons etc.

Im really hoping this issnt the one that went on tour in the uk.

Carmen
Swing
Swing
re: new Dracula musical#13
Posted: 9/12/06 at 10:48am
You don't understand this at all, do you? Original means that the music is not re-hashed from a back catalogue of songs, but composed specifically for this project. The lyrics are ORIGINAL. If you bother to go to the website www.dracula-uk.com, you will see that this musical has never been performed, ANYWHERE. It really pees me off when people presume and think they are an authority without finding out details. It's the same attitude as people who complain about plays, films, etc without even seeing them.
And before you bitch back at me, I have been, and still am, a performer with West End credits behind me and I have been in the business for 25 years, so I do know what I am talking about.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: new Dracula musical#14
Posted: 9/12/06 at 10:27pm
Oh ok i must have missed the part where you put original MUSIC!!

Ive been on the site and had a listen to a few of the sample tracks and it sounds alright.
The music there though sounds a cross between dracula(broadway) lestat and Jekyll and Hyde so im sure it will do well as it's quite easy to listen to.
toby3
Swing
Swing
re: new Dracula musical#15
Posted: 9/18/06 at 1:18pm
Yes. Just to put this into some sort of context. The musical cannot justifiably be equated to any previous (and failed) attempts to bring this story to the musical stage. This musical is clearly based on the actual 1897 novel by Bram Stoker and the music is unlike that of other composers who have attempted this work, and other gothic themed works.
This concept CD includes 17 fully orchestrated tracks from the score and 70 minutes of music from the show. As a ‘concept’ album it is far and above the quality of most. Please go to the site and listen to some lower quality sample tracks. http://www.dracula-uk.com
This CD is very well produced.
I can assure everybody that the actual album is wonderful and, according to Dress Circle, is already a ‘best seller’.
One review of the album is acclaiming this new and original work as being “Dracula. The musical success”. After hearing the CD several times, I can only agree.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: new Dracula musical#16
Posted: 9/19/06 at 12:17am
curiosity got the better of me so i got the cd grrrrrrr

I think the music is quite nice but have to say its nothing to rave about.
I still think it sounds like Jekyll and Hyde and Dracula(broadway).They are def some good songs on it and it is an enjoyable listen,it would be intresting to see how it was staged since i think this kinda story always seems to look the same on stage.

I like for the angel you are and within my world but the rst was just kinda average yet still nice.

Good luck to it though it will def have it fans
toby3
Swing
Swing
re: new Dracula musical#17
Posted: 9/26/06 at 3:11am
What a fantastic album launch at Dress Circle last night. There are such lovely and talented people behind this wonderful new Dracula musical. My fellow guests, the cast, production team, and the staff at the shop, were a pleasure to spend a few hours with over champagne. I was informed that the CD is selling very well in the UK and has just gone on sale at Footlight Records website. Everybody appeared to have a great time at this successful event. Especially me! (lol).
Updated On: 9/26/06 at 03:11 AM
Carmen
Swing
Swing
re: new Dracula musical#18
Posted: 9/26/06 at 9:45am
Just want to echo what Toby3 said (if I had known what you looked like, I would have said hello!) I was lucky enough to get invited to the launch, and it was a great evening. The atmosphere was buzzing and the press seemed really enthusiastic.
It was also great to meet the cast, including the brilliant Michael McCarthy. I really hope this musical gets the recognition it deserves because it is certainly head and shoulders above the majority of shows out there at the moment.
Thanks again for the invite. All the best for the future
Ruthi
Swing
Swing
re: new Dracula musical#19
Posted: 10/1/06 at 10:34am
As someone who is constantly disappointed by new musical fluff promising great entertainment (Daddy Cool, need I say more?) I was thrilled to listen to this brilliant concept album. Finally... some real drama and story telling thru the songs and what great singing from the likes of Micheal McCarthy and John Barr. I think this album deserves more than a good chance and hope to see it produced sometime soon!
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: new Dracula musical#20
Posted: 10/1/06 at 11:39am
Ok it might just be me but theres something a little bit odd here.Now as i say this could just be me but a few of the dracula lovers on here seem to be the same person under different names ,either that or they just happened to join round about the same time.Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

xx
Carmen
Swing
Swing
re: new Dracula musical#21
Posted: 10/1/06 at 2:22pm
I take offence at your remarks. I don't know who the other people posting are, but yes, maybe we did join about the same time because, for once, there was something new and exciting to talk about instead of slagging off the same shows and the same people. This seems to be about the level of these message boards. There should be a condition in the rules saying that only bitchy, derogative comments can be left. If you are excited about a musical, don't post (unless it is called 'Wicked'). As I said before, I have been in the business for over 20 years, and I like supporting friends and colleagues who take a chance and do something for themselves. If you feel that that is wrong, then sorry, but we don't all get our kicks out of being rude and offensive.
toby3
Swing
Swing
re: new Dracula musical#22
Posted: 10/1/06 at 2:40pm
I am a subscriber to this thread and have just read one of the emails I was sent, which included your remarks, “West End Artist1”.
I think you could have done with a few more sarcastic “mmm’s” in your message, just to ensure people got the measure of your arrogant condescension.
Errmm… I rather think the reason that so many people, that you have termed “Dracula lovers”, like the CD of this new musical is that it has only just been released and is obviously gaining its own fans. According to the Dress Circle website, it is no.2 in their best seller musical theatre albums at the moment.
Although you are obviously not a fan, I remind you that your unfounded and spurious accusations are unwarranted. It is an attack on the other posters in this thread and has nothing directly to do with the topic of this thread (other than to accuse those who like this musical of being dishonest). Maybe, and this is only a suggestion, you should not post to a thread that you seem to dislike so much. After all, everyone would have got the gist of your ‘opinions’ by now.
Personally, and to my knowledge, I have no connection with the other posters in this thread but I do like the Dracula concept CD. That is my opinion and also seems to be the opinion of several other posters here. Or are we not allowed to leave favourable opinions without them being derided?
I, for one, reserve the right to my own honest opinion of this new musical and take exception to those who wrongly accuse me of being anyone other than my username in this forum.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: new Dracula musical#23
Posted: 10/1/06 at 8:49pm
Hmmmm im not dissing the show i just made on observation that a few seemed to join near enough to the same day thats all.

Ive already said i thought the music was good and i got the concept album so that point is invalied

It just seemed odd that people joined a board because they liked a CD thats all.

you guys must be in tune with each other to as your responses to my message came very close together to haha x

so calm down it was just an observation im sure u all joined at the same time because of your love of dracula.

thats fair enough

Updated On: 10/2/06 at 08:49 PM
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: new Dracula musical#24
Posted: 10/2/06 at 6:35pm
Hi there West End Artist 1.

You mention earlier in this thread dated (10/09/06) that you actually saw "Lestat" on Broadway.

I'm curious as the show ran on Broadway for a limited period of time (Apr 25, 2006 - May 28, 2006).

This is the same time as you appearing in "Footloose" is it not?

How was that possible?