Page: 1

What to do when in London for a day

actormcfamous
Stand-by
Stand-by
What to do when in London for a day#0
Posted: 7/16/06 at 8:17pm
Hi everyone

I'm a high school student from Washington state in the US and I'm travelling to the UK at the end of this month to perform in the Edinburgh Fringe Festival - I'm INCREDIBLY excited! I'm travelling with my school, and we are spending about a day and a half in London en route to Edinburgh, and though most of our time is relatively structured and planned out, we do have some free time to explore the city on our own. I've been looking around many London websites for things to do, but was wondering if any of you have any particular favorite places to go/things to see when you're in London. Any advice and input is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

P.S. If you're up at the Fringe Festival, come see "Too Darn Hot," an original musical revue performed by the Roosevelt Theater Ensemble. We perform August 2-12 in the CVenue.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What to do when in London for a day#1
Posted: 7/17/06 at 3:16am
I really enjoy going on The London eye and I also enjoy going to see Buckingham Palace. There is so much to do in London it really depends on what you like.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What to do when in London for a day#2
Posted: 7/17/06 at 6:57am
Take a walk along the South Bank in the sun with some friends. Buy an ice cream. Browse the book stalls. Walk along to the Millenium bridge and cross over to St Pauls. Not very productive, but a wonderfully relaxing way to spend a day!

Maybe visit one of the museums? Entry to most of them is free, barring special exhibitions. The Tate and Tate Modern are both good for a wander...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

sicetergo
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: What to do when in London for a day#3
Posted: 7/17/06 at 9:22am
If you're going along the South Bank - the National Theatre has a great bookshop. There are also Platform events during the day from time-to-time and there are tours of the Globe, which might be of interest. A cruise down the river is a good way to see the city The majority of museums and galleries are free.... so much to do!
Updated On: 7/17/06 at 09:22 AM
Jenny3 Profile PhotoJenny3 Profile Photo
Jenny3
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: What to do when in London for a day#4
Posted: 7/17/06 at 12:42pm
If you're in the capital city, you must see a show if possible! I don't know what you have or haven't seen but would highly recommend Mary Poppins (the amazing Scarlet Strallen is the lead at the moment and she always gives a spectacular performance - she could do a one woman show!). Avenue Q is also a corker, some excellent performances from the cast and you will laugh so much - its hilarious! Also Phantom, obviously a classic, but always worth every penny and i've heard the current Phantom (Earl Carpenter) gives a great performance. Oh and Footloose seems to be a hot favourite at the moment as well, one of which i need to see at some stage.
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: What to do when in London for a day#5
Posted: 7/17/06 at 2:38pm
What Jenny3 said would Highly recommend it!! And a little time spent in Covent Garden never seems to disappoint even nicer on a hot sunny day! It like walking back in time back to how London used to be!
actormcfamous
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: What to do when in London for a day#6
Posted: 7/17/06 at 3:03pm
Thank you so much to everyone who has replied... I really appreciate all your input!

We already have a couple events scheduled for the day that the entire group is doing... we're taking a general tour of the city as well as the tour of the National Theater, and we're seeing Mary Poppins in the evening... I've heard nothing but good things about the show and I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

As far as museums go, which ones would you recommend? Especially for a group of teenagers, some of whom with very short attention spans. :)

Once again, thanks so much for all your responses!
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: What to do when in London for a day#7
Posted: 7/17/06 at 3:42pm
Mary Poppins is GORGEOUS!!! It is stunning - I cry every time -still!!!

As for museums, the science museum is a good'n, but if you are willing to spend a bit, Madame tussauds is always worth a trip.
sicetergo
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: What to do when in London for a day#8
Posted: 7/17/06 at 4:12pm
The Globe tour is great...Science Museum is always fun - if you're on the Southbank, then the Imperial War Museum is also very good but might not be to everyones taste with displays that include the Blitz and Trench Experiences - my godchildren loved it....
Incognito
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: What to do when in London for a day#9
Posted: 7/18/06 at 7:29am
National Portrait Gallery, it's just North of Trafalgar Square. Do your best to get there, you won't be disappointed i promise you...
Life is...just a bowl of cherries...
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What to do when in London for a day#10
Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:18am
How about a London Walk? They're inexpensive and very interesting and fun. Check their website for the walks that will happen the day you're there.
London Walks
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: What to do when in London for a day#11
Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:13pm
Y not do a theatre tour?
I know of two mainly
The Royal Opera House has a great one very imformative and you get to go all over the house..which is huge as it has 10 floors and the stage is over an acre big so its really impressive
The Theatre Royal Drury Lane is just down the road and the tour there is GREAT! its so much fun with costumes and goste storys etc its great fun!
I know other theatres do tours as well but i cant remember which ones i think the Palladium does one.
Anyway those two are both in covent garden so easy to find!
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What to do when in London for a day#12
Posted: 7/31/06 at 10:56pm
National Gallery and Westminster
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
coolphantom919 Profile Photocoolphantom919 Profile Photo
coolphantom919
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: What to do when in London for a day#13
Posted: 8/5/06 at 11:28am
See Les Miserables or The Phantom Of The Opera!!
Elmokid Profile PhotoElmokid Profile Photo
Elmokid
Understudy
Understudy
re: What to do when in London for a day#14
Posted: 8/7/06 at 10:20am
i think the Prince Edward theatre does a theatre tour on a thursday morning now.
NewMusical Profile PhotoNewMusical Profile Photo
NewMusical
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: What to do when in London for a day#15
Posted: 8/17/06 at 4:43pm
If you've only a couple of hours to spare... I;d just sit in Dress Circle..

Its where I go..