Notes From New York

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Notes From New York#0
Posted: 3/8/04 at 8:22pm
I was at the Donmar last night for the performance of the latest "Notes From New York". It was a quite delightful evening. I suppose I am a little biased as I am a huge fan of William Finn and Jason Robert Brown but this was a particularly special interpretation of their work - with some great songs by Jonathon Larson thrown in.

There was the inevitable slight disappointment of some favourite Finn, Brown and Larson songs being left out - it's impossible to include all the great songs written by these geniuses of modern musical theatre. But the songs that were chosen were woven together well - and performed with great emotion, flair, vocal prowess and acting skill by each of the four performers - Debbie Kurup (RENT, TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT), Paul Spicer (THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK, TABOO, FAME), Julie Atherton (MAMMA MIA), Craig Purnell (THE SECRET GARDEN, SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD). They were all outstanding but Paul Spicer to me seemed to possess a certain extra magic in his performance.

In a show full of magical moments, my particular favourites included: Debbie & Craig's beautiful rendition of WITHOUT YOU, Julie's combination of emotion, hysterical humour and almost electric energy in I'M BREAKING DOWN & CLIMBING UPHILL, Paul's HITCH-HIKING ACROSS AMERICA, WHAT MORE CAN I SAY? & WHAT WOULD I DO?, and the cast's highly energised AND THEY'RE OFF!. I was disappointed with STARS AND THE MOON (which is one of my absolute favourite songs) - not because of Debbie's performance, which was fine, but because I think the decision to turn it into a duet seemed to weaken the build up to what should be the heart-wrenching pathos of the final verse, which did not quite come off.

The cast - fully deservedly - brought the entire house to their feet with their finale (LOUDER THAN WORDS), which was followed by an encore (A NEW WORLD), which earned an even greater ovation.
I can't wait for the next "New York Notes"!!!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***