Page: 1

Paloma Faith?

jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paloma Faith?#1
Posted: 8/31/10 at 6:22pm

Hey everyone. Pretty random but about a year ago I noticed a singer 'Paloma Faith' who's style is a little different to say, Beyonce. I was just wondering (if you know here) what you think of her? Personally I LOVE her.

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paloma Faith?#2
Posted: 8/31/10 at 6:23pm
Apologies, message was meant for the Off Topic board and clicked west end instead of off topic, and found no Paloma Faith thread so I posted it again.
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
Paterson
Stand-by
Stand-by
Paloma Faith?#2
Posted: 9/1/10 at 4:00am
Maybe I shouldn't reply, but I LOVE her. Her album is one of my favourites from the last couple of years.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paloma Faith?#3
Posted: 9/1/10 at 6:36am
The one and only time I heard her sing (if that's the word), she sounded like a cat in pain. lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paloma Faith?#4
Posted: 9/1/10 at 7:16am
^ Did you just diss Paloma Faith? If you could only see my expression now LOL
Paterson
Stand-by
Stand-by
Paloma Faith?#5
Posted: 9/1/10 at 1:39pm
Got to admit, she was terrible when she sang on the John Barrowman show on Saturday, especially her own song. But either she had a bad day, or she had a very good producer, because she sounds good on record. Her music is much more than the vocals anyway, she has good songs and a lucious big sound with feels very indulgent.

However, I am questioning if I want to see her on tour.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paloma Faith?#6
Posted: 9/1/10 at 4:48pm
Yeah - the Barrowman show is the only time I've ever heard her - to be honest I'd never even heard of her before lol. I genuinely thought when she started singing that it was some kind of joke - that she was taking the "p**s" coz she sounded like someone on the X-Factor first auditions who Simon Cowell would have dismissed as "hideous". lol

Sorry jamiekennywicked! I appreciate she must have some fans - but even my pretty eclectic taste does not stretch to that kind of singing.

As for her recordings, I've been in a recording studio enough times to know that technology can make ANYONE sound good on a recording.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 9/1/10 at 04:48 PM
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Paloma Faith?#7
Posted: 9/1/10 at 5:48pm
I've heard her sing 'live' twice now and I have to admit she sounded awful on both occasions. She appears to have a nice personality and is geuninely excited by what is happening to her professionally but being marketed as a singer she needs to have a voice.
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paloma Faith?#8
Posted: 9/1/10 at 6:04pm
Sorry I started this thread
LOL
How about Eliza Doolittle or Lady Antebellum?
musicalfan3 Profile Photomusicalfan3 Profile Photo
musicalfan3
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Paloma Faith?#9
Posted: 9/1/10 at 6:09pm
Never heard of Lady Antebellum, but love Eliza Doolittle: she's the only non musical theatre person I listen to! Great talent, and has become wildly known this summer.
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Paloma Faith?#10
Posted: 9/2/10 at 4:38am
Eliza's parentage should equip her with the knowledge and skills, oh and talent, to do well and survive in the pop industry. John Caird and Francess Ruffelle must aide her somewhere!!
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paloma Faith?#11
Posted: 9/2/10 at 8:52am
I LOVE Eliza Doolitte - especially Pack Up :)
musicfan5
Swing
Swing
Paloma Faith?#12
Posted: 9/3/10 at 6:07pm
You are totally right the first speaker Paloma Faith is amazing !! People on here should go to see her live they would be astounded !! Have a look at her singing broken doll and new york at ICA on you tube , also her jools holland appearances . Live performance videos from vicar street dublin and also sheffield worth looking at too. how people on here can say she is terrible singer i dont know !! Eliza doolittle is sweet but nowhere near the calibre of Paloma . Paloma has already gone platinum - and her live music far better than the Cd - people should do more research !!
Updated On: 9/3/10 at 06:07 PM
Paterson
Stand-by
Stand-by
Paloma Faith?#13
Posted: 9/3/10 at 6:51pm
I'm not saying she's a terrible singer. For a start, I am open to the fact that she might have been having a bad day on the John Barrowman show. I'm sure I must have seen her live before and didn't think badly of her, and I love the album. Nothing wrong with her recorded vocals.

I will check out some of her YouTube live performances to decide if John Barrowman type performances really are the exception to the rule. I hope so, as she is someone I'd want to be good live, and not just because of backing singers and the audience singing along.

She might not be a great singer, but you don't need to be a great singer to be a fantastic pop star, which is her job. She goes for the whole package, making her performances an art form, and attention to things like the album cover. It's all highly stylised and in a good way. She's also a great song-writer, which gives her an edge over better singers when it comes to sustaining a career.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paloma Faith?#14
Posted: 9/3/10 at 7:02pm
Just checked out the Broken Doll live performance on youtube - and she sounded even more hideous than I remember her on the Barrowman show lol.
musicfan5
Swing
Swing
Paloma Faith?#15
Posted: 9/4/10 at 11:03am
each to their own !! I have seen Paloma perform several times and each time its been amazing ! someone mentioned simon cowell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jools holland really rates Paloma and I know whose opinion I would go for ! I myself didnt think she was at her best on the john barrowman show either but god forbid a performer should make a mistake or not be at their best !! Paloma has loads of fans and her gigs sell out so to the few on here who dont like her it wont matter - I can only say after a Paloma gig you go away uplifted !!

Page: 1