New York-cheapest time of year?

SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New York-cheapest time of year?#1
Posted: 7/26/10 at 3:19pm
Hello

As many of you are frequent fliers across the pond I thought I'd asked when is the cheapest time to go? I've been looking at Jan right after new year as I think this is a time when hotels are cheaper and theatre availaibity is good, but flights don't seem any cheaper.

Suggestions?
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York-cheapest time of year?#2
Posted: 7/26/10 at 3:30pm
The absolute cheapest you will get flights at any time is around 400. Im currently looking for March next year and they are just over that. The further in advance you book, the cheaper you will get them. We learned the hard way that NY flights don't come down nearer the time.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York-cheapest time of year?#2
Posted: 7/26/10 at 3:30pm
Flights are always the problem. Hotels do drop in the winter, off peak, months.
Its best to just keep looking at the flights as once the summer is over in a few weeks they will start putting out some of the cheaper ones. It really is a case of just keep looking.
Cheapest we did last year was 249 return - and that was with BA!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York-cheapest time of year?#3
Posted: 7/26/10 at 3:32pm
^WHATTT!! 249!?!?!?!?

You serious??? Will I be able to get them for March??? The cheapest coming up for any time of year is 400 at the moment New York-cheapest time of year?. March currently @ 415
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New York-cheapest time of year?#4
Posted: 7/26/10 at 3:35pm
Thanks both, was thinking I'd missed my chance with flights going down as they've been going up over the last couple of weeks-from about 320 to 400, is it worth hanging on until the end of the summer you think?

Glad I'm on the right track with hotels then.

I'm no longer tied to school hols which is great but still tied to university breaks which means taking advantage of the rock bottom prices insn't an option!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York-cheapest time of year?#5
Posted: 7/26/10 at 3:36pm
I know a number of people in the airline industry and there is no set time when flights are at their cheapest or most expensive- i'm always asking.
Airlines release seats at different intervals just as a sales tactic.
The ones we had last year were just 3 weeks before we flew.
We bought out seats for FRISCO for August just 2 weeks ago and paid 450 return each!
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New York-cheapest time of year?#6
Posted: 7/26/10 at 3:45pm
when I went to FRISCO a few years back I paid less than the flights for NY at the same time (also last minute)

I'll just keep checking, and if/when there's a drop in prices I'll jump in and book, if not I'll either suck it up and pay (and hope to save on hotel/ticket prices) or think about Easter/Early summer (ugh hope I don't have to wait that long)

This damn trip has been bumped from June to Sept to Jan already!
soundofnuns Profile Photosoundofnuns Profile Photo
soundofnuns
Understudy
Understudy
New York-cheapest time of year?#7
Posted: 7/26/10 at 4:06pm
Try booking flights with americanairlines. We found them the cheapest. 1800hotels are good too.
Updated On: 7/26/10 at 04:06 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York-cheapest time of year?#8
Posted: 7/26/10 at 4:09pm
Sorry, I don't agree with what Mark wrote about flights. I have NEVER paid as much as 400. I've just paid 350 for return flights in November - the most I've ever paid is 380. And it DOES make a difference when you book, though there is no rigid pattern to it and is not dependent upon how early you book. You literally need to keep checking over and over and suddenly prices may drop for no apparent reason! (For example, just 2 days before I booked and paid 350, the same flights would have cost me 375 and now I think they've gone up again). You need to keep looking until you see the price drop to a level you are happy to pay.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York-cheapest time of year?#9
Posted: 7/26/10 at 4:11pm
BA have some great offers, as they are still in dispute with their employees, so this could spin off great deals.

Other than that I think BA and Virgin have sales in September.

January - March is the best time for cheap hotels, I would of thought hotel prices would be affected by volcano cloud (what ever happened to that, I guess it is heading west to FRISCO) and the attempted bombing of Times Square.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York-cheapest time of year?#9
Posted: 7/26/10 at 4:11pm
BA have some great offers, as they are still in dispute with their employees, so this could spin off great deals.

Other than that I think BA and Virgin have sales in September.

January - March is the best time for cheap hotels, I would of thought hotel prices would be affected by volcano cloud (what ever happened to that, I guess it is heading west to FRISCO) and the attempted bombing of Times Square.
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New York-cheapest time of year?#11
Posted: 7/27/10 at 2:07pm
Thanks all, agreed the only time I've paid 400-plus is for a Christmas break.

I have been checking AA and BA's websites so I'll keep an eye out.

lol Phantom, I hear the ash cloud is slowly taking over FRISCO and all those who call it that New York-cheapest time of year?
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York-cheapest time of year?#12
Posted: 7/28/10 at 6:55am
FRISCO I like that name- it's fun and catchy. I think I might start using it now..