Page: 1

Wicked... 3 3/4 years later

CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#1
Posted: 6/9/10 at 6:10am
Well, I recently had the opportunity to see Wicked again with the latest cast.

I can officially say this is the best performance I have seen ever since I first saw it back in Sep '06!
It brought back all the original excitement and emotion for me... and it was just a standard weekday night!

So, i'm not gonna go through details of the "show" as most here have seen it and as always, it is exactly the same, so I'm gonna simply and quickly review each main actor!

Rachel Tucker: WOW WOW WOW! Her singing was perfect! You could tell a few notes were just out of her range, so rather than struggling, she almost threw them away in a whimsical fashion which just added to the characters charm and perkiness! She managed to make the songs her own without having to go OTT like Kerry Ellis did which made her come out of character! And her acting was spot on. You can really feel her journey through the show, starting as a frustrated school girl, moving to being this inspired young woman, then in Defying Gravity she truly took control and it was very admirable! My favourtie moment was her No Good Deed, rather than the usual decleration of evil it usually is, her character was almost having a mental breakdown on stage and it was just fascinating to watch, she looked like she was going insane and was about to start running around tearing the set apart! JUST OUTSTANDING!
And then her For Good, not only was it the teary goodbye, but it was a true feeling of defeat!
She is the 6th Elphaba I have seen live, and she is by FAR my favourite!

Louise Dearman: She had the charm of Dianne Pilkington, but the preppy attitude of Helen Dallimore, teamed with almost operatic vocals! She kept OUTSTANDING facial expressions up throughout the enitre show and it really made you believe in her character, which was much more likeable than any other portrayal Ive witnessed! You can really feel the emotion and love coming from her, right from her entrance, when you can tell she is just putting on a brave face and is actually devastated at the loss of Elphaba. To top it all off... her voice! OMFG! She hit every note spot on, and with such power and conviction it sent shivers down my spine, a true soprano who know how to control, and belt her voice!

Clive Carter: I am a HUGE fan of his, and my biggest problem with Priscilla was how under-used he was in it! He was my perfect vision of the Wizard. He played the part almost like a mad scientist, running around like a lunatic, and it truly communicated the Wizards state of mind. And I loved the way he looks the part sings the parts faultlessly, AND he can move! And I mean MOVE, mid Wonderful, he let out a little tap move, and he was leaping around showing how bonkers he is!
I think he stole the show for me and the simple reason is this, ever since I was 7 and first watched The Wizard of Oz, I fell in love, and I always pictured the Wizard to have been this eccentric man who is just crazy! And he completely fulfilled that vision for me, and I will ALWAYS remember that and be grateful!

Julie Legrand: Not much to say as it is a small role, but from the second she walked on the stage she was just "Uber B***H!" I thought it was fantastic, I've always had the view she is the only truly evil character and other people just get caught up along the way, and she really was evil.

Cassandra Compton: The first Nessa I have liked since Katie Rowley Jones left! For starters, she is beautiful, which is a MASSIVE requirement for Nessa. She managed to start the show as this slightly embarrassed, timid school girl, and by "Wicked With of the East" she had flipped and was very strong, controlling and actually horrible. I've seen this achieved rarely, and the thing that really made her stand out, was that she adapts her vocals to fit around the different emotions as the show progresses! I honestly think we are to see MAZING things from this young Actress in the future!

Julian Forsyth: Not much to say as yet again is a small role but he was fab. I could never stand andy mace so was lovely to see someone else take on the role. He was a strong singer, strong actor, and most importantly, he can do a REALLY good "Baaaaaa"

George Ure: FAB FAB FAB! First time I have seen the show and actually understood what Boq says during Wicked Witch of the East. His acting is superb, he looks the part, and sings well too! But ultimately, he is just adorable, and you feel so sorry for him that is for ever being cast aside!

and FINALLY Lewis Bradley: Well, I've raved about every other cast member, so you probably think the same is in store now... NO! His singing was ok, but not strong enough, where is he is soo tall and lanky his dancing is all over the place, and I never felt ANY emotion coming of him! This really is a dance role more than anything, so bring back someone who knows what there doing, Adam Garcia will ALWAYS be my favourite Fiyero. I know he is only the understudy, but he played the role for 6 weeks, so should know something!

Obviously I havent seen Lee Mead, but from talking to someone afterwards, he is apparently even worse and it's just like watching a piece of cardboard! WHEN are the producers FINALLY gonna cast this role properly! It really frustrates me!

Anyway, to summarise, except Fiyero, it was just spectacular! The new Ensemble are young and bursting with energy, and you could really feel it!
If anyone here is considering seeing it again, or has never seen it, NOW is the time to go, as the show has never been so strong, and I doubt it ever will be again!

And the best part is that it's one of Londons only BIG shows that stays affordable, I was in a 15 stalls seat last night, and even though SOME action was missed, I would recommend the seat to anyone! (Especially as the person next to me spent WAY over double what I did!) Infact, I can not think of another huge show like this, where you get consistent, amazing performances, such a high standard of set and costumes, and still only pay 15 for a front of stalls seat! (Even if slightly to the side!)

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#2
Posted: 6/9/10 at 6:26am
Kinda agree except Rachel who I thought was blandness personified. Very disappointed. Alexia is so far the best ive seen, and that includes Dame Ellis. Louise is without doubt the best Glinda ive seen and agree with you there.

Lewis I think is weak in general and so wet, but I saw Lee Mead who is second to Adam Gracia as best Fiyero. I liked Lee, does well with a very two dimensional role, and is am marked improvement on Oliver Thompsett.

Very strong ensemble and agree on the rest of the cast.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#2
Posted: 6/9/10 at 6:47am
So happy Rachel is getting such great reviews since she started! I've been a fan of hers since I'd Do Anything.
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
Lelana82
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#3
Posted: 6/9/10 at 7:40am
Thanks for the review. I agree with some of it but not all!

I like Rachel as Elphaba. She seemed to me to be quite an angry Elphaba. I thought her vocals were spot on and she had good chemisty with Lee.

Louise probably is the best Glinda I've seen. Comic timing spot on and amazing vocals.

I have seen Lewis and Lee as Fiyero...tend to lean more toward's Lee's interpretation. It's completely different to Oli's and previous Fiyero actors. I feel he gives it more depth, especially the changes in character Fiyero experiences. Lewis to me, was just bland. An okay voice but not much stage presence.
*Theatre 2011* Salad Days, Flashdance, Footloose, Wicked, Swan Lake, Love Story, Spelling Bee, End Of The Rainbow, To Kill A Mockingbird, Ordinary Days, Million Dollar Quartet, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Betty Blue Eyes, The Exonerated,Jekyll and Hyde, Precious Little Talent,Thrill Me, The Children's Hour, Priscilla, Jest End, We Will Rock You, Flare Path, Jersey Boys, Hamlet The Musical, Lord Of The Flies, Shrek, Edges, Lend Me A Tenor, Legally Blonde, Girlfriends, Belongings, She Loves Me, Shrek
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#4
Posted: 6/9/10 at 8:18am
Yea, that is my exact feelings about Lewis, and as I said, I've never seen Lee, just what someone else has said to me!
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#5
Posted: 6/9/10 at 8:44am
Thanks for the review. I agree with pretty much most of what you say. I've only seen the show once and it's with this current cast (apart from the fact Lewis was Fiyero, not Lee), so I can't compare any of the leads with their predecessors. I thought Rachel and Louise were both superb, great voices and chemistry as a double act. Ditto on the Clive Carter love - he brings so much fun to the role, definitely fits my 'mad scientist' vision of the Wizard too.

I will definitely make a return visit - those cheap side stalls seats are too much of a bargain to resist. Plus I loved the interior of the Apollo, would love to explore it a bit more when it's not quite so crowded as 5 minutes before curtain-up.

I'm intrigued to hear about casting for The Wizard of Oz and to see how similar some of the overlapping characters are between both productions. I may even do a Wicked / Wizard double bill next year.
Seen some shows in my time....
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#6
Posted: 6/9/10 at 1:18pm
Louise was off when I saw it, which sucks.
Thought Rachel terrific, lee was pants in the first half then much better second.
Agree about Clive and cassie too, both great.
Still not at all keen on the show but a friend wanted to see the new cast.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#7
Posted: 6/9/10 at 6:53pm
"Well, I recently had the opportunity to see Wicked again"

Recently? Does that mean you seen it 5/6 this year?

Was Lee Mead in it?
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#8
Posted: 6/9/10 at 8:04pm
I say recently I mean Tuesday night!

And no, as I said above, Lee Mead is on holiday this month, and my comments on him were purely based on what others have told me!
:)
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#9
Posted: 6/10/10 at 9:46am
In it a week and off a month- mmmm nice contact Mr Mead!
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#10
Posted: 6/10/10 at 1:53pm
In all fairness, he did become a Dad last week, as far as I'm aware, this is the reason for him having this week off!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#11
Posted: 6/10/10 at 1:59pm
Um, he knew he was gonna be a dad 9 months ago long before he was offered 'Wicked'!
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#12
Posted: 6/10/10 at 2:05pm
This is true, and I am still wanting to know why he didnt go into the show start of April with everyone else!?!?!?!?! And if you're gonna wait, why not wait until after your wife has her baby break, to avoid this situation, which did cause disappointment by some audience members!
Lelana82
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#13
Posted: 6/11/10 at 8:11am
He's been in it from 10th May (that doesn't make a week to me) and his wife gave birth on 1st May. His holiday dates are on the website when you book. Back on Monday so he's not off for a month. He didn't go into it in April because he was on tour in an Oscar Wilde play. (Thanks Google!) I assume the Wicked casting team knew this.

I also don't believe you should judge someone on what other people have told you. :)

*Theatre 2011* Salad Days, Flashdance, Footloose, Wicked, Swan Lake, Love Story, Spelling Bee, End Of The Rainbow, To Kill A Mockingbird, Ordinary Days, Million Dollar Quartet, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Betty Blue Eyes, The Exonerated,Jekyll and Hyde, Precious Little Talent,Thrill Me, The Children's Hour, Priscilla, Jest End, We Will Rock You, Flare Path, Jersey Boys, Hamlet The Musical, Lord Of The Flies, Shrek, Edges, Lend Me A Tenor, Legally Blonde, Girlfriends, Belongings, She Loves Me, Shrek
Updated On: 6/11/10 at 08:11 AM
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#14
Posted: 6/13/10 at 8:11am
I haven't judged him in the slightest, I quite clearly said, this is what other people have told me, and I passed on other people's comments!

I still dont think it is right though to go into a show and have a holiday (even if it was only a week... my bad!) straight away, he should of just waited and not gone into the show AT ALL until now, his holiday dates may be on the website, but his fans who booked in person, on phone, or who went straight to a ticket agency and not to the Wicked website, would not have known this, and I heard countless people in the bar in interval complaining that they had gone to see Lee, and expected him to be performing so soon into his run!

You can not just post someone's holiday dates in a tiny box, on one page of one website, at the bottom, and presume that because you've done that, EVERYONE who watch's the show will be aware of his holiday!
soundofnuns Profile Photosoundofnuns Profile Photo
soundofnuns
Understudy
Understudy
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#15
Posted: 6/13/10 at 9:03am
It's not really Wicked's fault that the other ticket agencies don't have Lee's holiday dates on their website. I'm sure they've got better things to be doing... But I agree that they should have let Lewis have a longer run until Lee was ready to give full commitment to Wicked instead of him taking all this time off. Most people I've talked to have preferred Lewis anyway.
Updated On: 6/13/10 at 09:03 AM
Lelana82
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Wicked... 3 3/4 years later#16
Posted: 6/16/10 at 6:10pm
Most people I've spoken to preferred Lee. To each their own.