Page: 1

Next Reality show..

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#1
Posted: 5/14/10 at 7:18am
A spy I have working on Over The Rainbow told me apparently the BBC are keen to produce another relaity hunt for 2011 as ratings have been good and steady...

The question is whether Webber will return and what show? BBC are currently not wanting to do A search for Jesus, as Webber wants to do a revival of Jesus Christ Superstar, but the beeb are worried about promoting that show and fear it have backlashes of complaints over phrases like "Are you Jesus" and "You're just not Jesus" !!

They are keen to find a show where the search hunts for a leading man, as Joseph was the most successful, so other shows apparently being discussed are Saturday Night Fever, Singin In The Rain. Also discussing West Side Story male and female hunt, which Webber is keen to do, but can't get the rights.

We'll have to wait and see... but it looks like the musical "star" hunt reality show will be back again next year!
Updated On: 5/14/10 at 07:18 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#2
Posted: 5/14/10 at 7:59am
First off it NEEDS to be a male role.

My vote, and im no fan of the show or have any desire for it to come back is Saturday Night Fever, that would make for the best TV as they can look for both singing AND dancing this time round. Plus its a pop score so fits in with the types of songs contestants have to sing

Judges - Arlene Phillips, Adam Garcia, and Denise Van Outen (always fun when judging men)
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Next Reality show..#2
Posted: 5/14/10 at 8:08am
Saturday Night Fever won't happen without Robert Stigwood's permission - and David Ian will probably want a slice of the pie again, as original producer in London.

Both SNF and SITR seem like poor choices to me - they're shows that rely on dancing, not singing. SNF maybe, singing pop songs would work for that, but how are you going to showcase your tap dancing skills for Singing In The Rain? And imagine the 17 year olds turning up to audition for Don...
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#3
Posted: 5/14/10 at 9:34am
denada you are kidding about the dance issue? There are loads of shows about finding dancers! I think looking for a role that requires singing, dancing and acting in equal measure would progress the show somewhat.

And if they are looking for an older character, then older people apply! Simple as that. Worked on the previous shows
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#4
Posted: 5/14/10 at 9:41am
Perhaps a miracle will happen and they'll actually have a reality hunt for a star for NEW show instead of yet another unnecessary revival. But I know the reality is that will never happen.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#5
Posted: 5/14/10 at 10:10am
It needs to be a role that is well known by the public.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Next Reality show..#6
Posted: 5/14/10 at 10:12am
I don't mean they don't look for shows for dancers - lord knows I've watched enough So You Think You Can Dance - but it doesn't fit the format that ALW and the Beeb developed and make money off all over the world, which is people singing pop songs and a dash of acting in the "missions" which count towards absolutely nothing. It would have to be something else.

I just don't think Singing in the Rain appeals to a Saturday night light entertainment audience for casting. No-one dreams of playing Don Lockwood (admittedly I don't think anyone dreams of playing Joseph or Nancy, but there you go...), you don't need to be able to sing particularly well, and it just skews too old - especially if the show's up against Britain's Got Talent again next time round.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#7
Posted: 5/14/10 at 10:16am
One thing i've ALWAYS wondered... does it have to be a NEW show?

What's stopping ALW casting an already rooted show IE, Next Phantom, or even (and my choice would be) Next Adam/Felicia in Priscilla!

Would work as people would be familiar with the show, and may give a slightly struggling show a much needed boost!
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#8
Posted: 5/14/10 at 10:49am
I don't really like the thought of searching for a maria and a tony... it'd end up like the Grease format and it didn't really work all that well tbh. Personally i'd love to see one that searched for a Norma or a Mamma Rose... give the belters a chance and it'll also be more rounded people who get through to the final stages. Failing that i say cast BARE... even if only to p**s the new 'equalities' minister off :p x
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#9
Posted: 5/14/10 at 11:27am
They'd never do Rose or Norma.. it needs to be a search for a young (16-30) part, be a well known role, have a wide appeal and audience and from a show a lot of people know! So you're really left with Webbers hits from the 70s or 80s and shows like Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Wizard of Oz, Singin in the Rain etc ...

Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#10
Posted: 5/14/10 at 11:37am
It's hard because they've done most of the iconic musicals, my vote would be West Side Story or Jesus Christ Superstar.

My Fair Lady is another obvious choice but I would rather they had a show looking for a male lead.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#11
Posted: 5/14/10 at 11:41am
But thats my point, they would have (with a dance role) the chance to expand and revitalise the show. They could, once they get rid of teh crap and left with serious contenders, have one song and one dance number per show. Or they have to sing and dance (well) in the one number.

I always thought an obvious older show would be looking for a new Tracy for Hairspray
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#12
Posted: 5/14/10 at 12:42pm
With all these suggestions it definitely seems all the well known musical theatre parts are for women!
kc2 Profile Photokc2 Profile Photo
kc2
Understudy
Understudy
Next Reality show..#13
Posted: 5/14/10 at 1:00pm
I dont like these shows. I really wish, seeing as they are auditioning for a musical, that they would make them sing only showtunes instead of pop songs. Think of all the wonderful songs new fans would be introdced to, the use of pop songs really bugs me.

Having said that, JCS is my guilty pleasure musical. It's rubbish but I love it, so I would be interested to see a revival of that one.
Side Show Barb
Swing
Swing
Next Reality show..#14
Posted: 5/14/10 at 3:31pm
Rocky Horror!
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Next Reality show..#15
Posted: 5/15/10 at 3:40am
Chris for miss Saigon but don't think cameron would ever do it again.

The only way it would happen for a new show would be if it was another based on a film or a jukebox show, like searching for a kylie.

In a way it's annoying it is tied to a westend role, casting for the tour of an existing show would spread the wealth a bit.

Paterson
Stand-by
Stand-by
Next Reality show..#16
Posted: 5/15/10 at 3:52am
I've seen various theories on why they sing so many pop songs on the show, that range from the rights being cheaper, to ratings. I also agree that it would be great to use the shows to introduce the public to a wider range of musical theatre songs, but I think the danger for individual contestants comes when they sing a song that is not widely known.

It seems that picking the "wrong song" is a common excuse for why a talented, and seeminly well liked singer fails to pull in the votes on talent shows and more often than not they are meaning that the song isn't that well known. It seems that a significant chunk of voters struggle to connect with a performance of a song that they aren't familiar with, so if a contestant picks a less well known song, they risk losing votes.

I don't know how true that theory is, but I do believe that is the belief amongst show producers etc. The song choices are probably based on a mixture of all of these factors, but I do think it is of note that they are keeping the musical theatre songs mainly for group numbers. I also think that now we are reaching the final stages of the Rainbow show that we are seeing more theatre songs.

I know a lot of people with a passing interest in theatre and who will go to see the odd musical, but who mainly like pop music, and the balance is about right to engage them, and also to expose them to some theatre classics.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next Reality show..#17
Posted: 5/15/10 at 5:24am
It always pisses me off when you hear actresses moaning about the lack of female roles on stage, they have the pick comapred to men!

I think them always singing show tunes is a bad idea. I dont see many people wanting to watch that week in week out, im a theatre fan and I would be bored of that. Bu they should do MORE theatre songs