Wizard of Oz opens at Palladium - Starts previews 7/2/2011

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Looks like Sister Act has had it's final calling!
Press dates/Gala Performances seem to be 19th/20th/21st of April

Ticket Prices 25-62.50

Tuesdays at 7pm
Wed-Sat at 7:30pm
Wed/Sat Mat at 2:30pm
Sunday Mat at 3pm

http://www.seetickets.com/thesun/

Updated On: 10/11/10 at 07:01 AM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Very well spotted Mark.

A big gap between The final for Dorothy and the show opening, longer than Oliver but did not do the latter any harm.

ALW is producing his only show to open on a Sunday so far, I wonder what the winner Lauren will make of this.
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Really naff full page ad in The Sun today offering priority booking for this show.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's a long gap between OTR finishing and The Wizard of Oz opening, even longer than Oliver! which in theory could have opened a lot earlier but I guess rehearsal for the kids takes longer plus Cameron wanted to take advantage of the Christmas period similar to Legally Blonde which also opened in December.

I hope that isn't the final logo as it looks really tacky.
OperaSarah
Swing
Swing
Yeah I'm not a fan of that logo!
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Hideous artwork!!!
Piper3500 Profile PhotoPiper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
so same price point as HAIR eh? see, it matters not where you are from that is the price point of a west end show.

anyway...for Toto to be a part of the reality show Over the Rainbow to find Toto it is ridiculous to have an open casting call. seriously. they have dogs of all breeds for this purpose that are trained for the stage and screen.
"it's a dirty little war"
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Couple of quid cheaper than hair isnt it?

Given its almost a year from opening I thought the prices wernt horrific. 62:50 top price incl booking fee, Hair is 66.75, though bottom price for hair is less than for this at 19 v 25.

Anyone know when the normal booking period opens?

The dog search is only for 1 night, its awful telly but makes sense to get dog lovers to buy tickets too.
Piper3500
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
that is not a huge difference. my point was there was talk of the prices for HAIR being too high for a US cast of people nobody knew. well the lead in this will be an unknown from a reality talent show.

anway, on the website for the Gielgud stall seats were way higher for HAIR.

regardless of who it is a prime West End show is around the same price. I think the highest we paid 7 years ago was for Phantom and it was more than this.

i now know how to book, however. i couldn't believe the price the concierge at my hotel told me "she could personally" get for a show. i know they make something. but seriously, i wasn't going to pay them 50 over the going rate for the service.

what is the most expensive show in the west end right now? do you know? there are a few i would pay over the odds for personaly.
candydog2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Seems odd to leave it nearly a year. I'd certainly have expected them to try to get it open by christmas, as it would pull in big audiences during panto season. The Wizard of Oz is a film lots of families watch every christmas.
Piper3500
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
^ I forget when we watched it as a family, but i know Sound of Music was a real fave at Christmas.

it should do well. how long will previews last?
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"what is the most expensive show in the west end right now? do you know? there are a few i would pay over the odds for personaly".

I guess it is Les Miserable, on the TKTS section of The Society of London Theatres website, they say full price tickets are 75, IMO this is just cashing in on the Susan Boile phenomenon and the shows 25th birthday.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"that is not a huge difference. my point was there was talk of the prices for HAIR being too high for a US cast of people nobody knew. well the lead in this will be an unknown from a reality talent show."

At least five million people know who all the contestants are on Over The Rainbow from watching the show. That's more people than have seen Mary Poppins on Broadway where it's still running, let alone Gavin Creel during its West End run.

Plus assuming they cast the show like Sound Of Music and Oliver were cast (less said about Joseph the better) there'll be some names familiar from TV in the supporting cast a la Leslie Garrett, Rowan Atkinson, Burn Gorman etc. etc.

For better or for worse, Wizard Of Oz will be "event" theatre due to the TV casting, if only for a short time. Bringing Broadway performers over for Hair is only a big deal if you're a theatre geek, no matter how good they are.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oliver's selling point aside from Jodie Prenger was Rowan Atkinson as he's well known not only in the UK but worldwide, I know when I booked for it, it was to see Rowan Atkinson and not Jodie although Jodie was great as well.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You paid over 70 for Phantom 7 years ago?! You must have gone through an agent with a huge mark up.

Phantom of london, 75 is not the Les Miz top price, thats the premium seat price. Premium Seats aside, Les Mis and Phantom are among the cheapest shows in London now (although catching up to the 60 - 65 bracket.

The most expensive non premium shows must be Love Never Dies, Hair, Priscilla and maybe Oliver

Wizard of Oz will need some big names to sell it, the tv wont be enough, especially as Oz isnt as popular in the UK as say Sound of Music. Oliver sold on Rowan Atkinson, it was a sell out before Jodie even won, as soon as he left it went to tkts and offers started to come out, not a mega drop, but a drop none the less.

I also dont think this series is proving to be as popular. Most people I know (outside of theatre) have stopped watching it or dont really care who wins or care about the show. It doesnt have the quality of people in it this year, theres no stand outs. I still think the best series was Any Dream Will Do.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think they will cast names for the main roles as well as Glinda and The Wicked Witch of the West but I hope that they make it a theatrical piece rather than the film on stage. On a plus side, we'll get a cast recording.

I agree Any Dream will Do was the best series and it's strange that we've had four series but only one of them was for a male lead. I think Jesus Christ Superstar or West Side Story would be my ideas for another series.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The thing about the stage show though, is that the Wicked Witch, Glinda AND The Wizard are NOT singing parts, which leaves it open to many more famous actors who could take the roles, without having to be vocally gifted! And then you could get away with having really un-famous, but but some of the most talented musical actors as the lion, scarecrow and tin man, all of which involve a large amount of singing!
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
ALW's writing new songs, though - could be both Witches and the Wizard get SOMETHING to sing, particularly the Wicked Witch.
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh god, I forgot bout these "New Songs" He is actually gonna find a way to make one of the worst written shows, even more painful, OH I KNOW, let's see what this man could do with "Too Close To The Sun!" Surely he couldnt make it ANY worse... but this is ALW we're talking about!

(P.S. Can you tell I'm not his BIGGEST fan?!?!?!)
Piper3500
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DeNada
I know that but the thing is, just as the same arguement with the other reality shows, those 5 million (a little high really for those who watch) will not be making the trek to Londonn to see it. Many go to judge who won (whether they admit it or not) and the supporting cast of known performers. I like this show actually and have picked a winner. Dorothy is a main part after all so I want to see how it all goes.

I wasn't putting it down, I was just saying prices in general in the West End for a big show are relatively similar. To think they should put a Tony winning show, being from NY or not at the Gielgud and not charge West End prices is ridiculous. It would never happen. Maybe if it lasts, they will get big England names or Jonathan Groff to reprise. I personally go to a show for the show, the score and the play itself. I really could care less if there is a big headliner in it or not. I am sure it sells more tickets though.

Princeton 2 - to be fair, my husband (then fiance) booked it all up and i suspect he paid well over the odds. Maybe it was 75 in total? It had to have been, eh? dress circle matinee. I will have to ask. It was a present I just remember the figure 75 and I assumed it was each.

JonWo- I always thought JCSS should be the next one too.
Incidentally, Ken Neely has done or will be doing his last ever performance. From first show to the movie and still doing this show for years (tour) he is retiring now though.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Star casting certainly does wonders for Plays in the West End. Misanthorpe/Cat on a Hot Tin Roof just two recent examples.

I think ALW's new songs will be pretty good actually. The Wizard of Oz DOES need some more musical numbers.
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree it needs new songs, But I REALLY dont think ALW is the man to write them, where I could see people like Stiles & Drewe writing some good new songs for it!
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"I know that but the thing is, just as the same arguement with the other reality shows, those 5 million (a little high really for those who watch) will not be making the trek to Londonn to see it."

5.61 million people watched the April 10th episode of Over The Rainbow. Of course they're not all going to see the stage show, but I still think it's a different kettle of fish to Hair.

Speaking of which, assuming the show runs long enough for a recast I'm fairly sure they'll cast at least semi-known names in it; not celebs or anything, but at least recognisable names to West End theatre goers. It would probably be half-decent publicity.
Piper3500
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i wonder if they are going to be group numbers because he told the girls to really concentrate on acting a song because other then Over the Rainbow there aren't any huge belting numbers for Dorothy
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Glenn Slater is writing the lyrics to the new songs but I hope they are good and fit in like when they added I Have Confidence and Something Good to the Sound of Music and it blended in well.

Dorothy only really has one big number and aside from the 'If I Only Had a....' Songs for the other three plus the King of the Forest number for the Lion, there aren't that many solo songs, there all ensemble or group numbers, the Jitterbug must be included as it features in most of the stage productions but it was cut from the film.