Jersey Boys - Two Years On.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#1
Posted: 3/20/10 at 6:53pm
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.
Well, despite the many, many doubters on this board the immaculate London production has reached its second birthday at the The Prince Edward theatre and is continuously playing to 70 to 80% houses.
Two of my friends saw tonight's performance and having seen it within the first few weeks of the run say that the show is just as tight if not better than back two years ago.

'Happy 2nd Birthday' boys.

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#2
Posted: 3/20/10 at 6:56pm
That is really impressive! I honestly didn't think that the show would make it this long, and seems to still have plenty life in it yet!
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#2
Posted: 3/20/10 at 7:11pm
I saw this for the first time a couple of weeks ago, the performances were strong and the show is tight, however, besides 3/4 GOOD songs, it was one of the dullest, most repetitive and boring shows I have ever seen, every song sounded the same to me, and it wasnt a good sound! this is one show I will not be returning too in a hurry!
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#3
Posted: 3/20/10 at 7:47pm
I was fortunate enough to first see this show in NYC with the OBC and have subsequently seen it in London a few times since then. I never expected that I would know and love so many of the songs included, but I have to concur that the OBC recording becomes increasingly repetitive the more often you hear it.

Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 3/20/10 at 07:47 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#4
Posted: 3/20/10 at 7:49pm
It would be if you keep listening to it?!?!?
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#5
Posted: 3/20/10 at 8:04pm
Good point Mama! I meant it sounds repetitive in that a lot of the tracks blend into one another. Not a problem for a chart act where the 'signature sound' is what keeps people coming back for more, but not such a good move for a cast recording IMHO. :-?
Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 3/20/10 at 08:04 PM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#6
Posted: 3/20/10 at 8:32pm
"That is really impressive! I honestly didn't think that the show would make it this long, and seems to still have plenty life in it yet!That is really impressive! I honestly didn't think that the show would make it this long, and seems to still have plenty life in it yet!"

Agreed I thought the same.

"I saw this for the first time a couple of weeks ago, the performances were strong and the show is tight, however, besides 3/4 GOOD songs, it was one of the dullest, most repetitive and boring shows I have ever seen, every song sounded the same to me, and it wasnt a good sound! this is one show I will not be returning too in a hurry!"

Agreed I thought the same, except I saw it soon after it first opened, they were doing day tickets in the Metro for 25 and the theatre was half empty/full, so surprised this is still running, also surprised it is one of the hottest tickets in New York when Buddy failed.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#7
Posted: 3/20/10 at 8:35pm
Parts are fun, and I can understand why it's selling big to the Four Seasons fans out there... but I cant understand why general theatre fans would rush to this show, other so many musical masterpieces we have had in recent times! (Although, musical wise, I do think the west end is fairly bland at the moment!)
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#8
Posted: 3/21/10 at 4:41am
I found it deathly dull too.

I think in part it does well because its one for straight men amidst a sea of hen night fodder.
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#9
Posted: 3/21/10 at 6:36am
Naturally, its musical style will be similar as the songs are connected to one particular singing group, when, in musical terms, the sound of the group mattered as much as the material.

It is what I think is called a signature sound, quickly and easily identifiable to that particular group and production house. Think Stock, Aitken and Waterman as a modern day equivalent.

This success of this show is that it works on so many levels and is unashamedly a well structured and slick juke box musical, that has hit after hit, after hit.

wiggy2687
Swing
Swing
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#10
Posted: 3/21/10 at 9:48am
Im 22 years old and went to see Jersey Boys for the first time in June 2008....the only reason i went was because i heard so many reviews that said you either love it or you hate it and it made me want to go and see it....saying that yesterday evening was my 46th time of seeing the show...my mum has also seen it 36 times...having never really known anything of the four seasons i didnt go along for the music....it wasnt until i was sat there watching that i suddenly realised that even at my age i knew so many of the songs. but now because of JB i have collected quite a back catalogue of Four Seasons music and can now say i am indeed a fan.
Im totally fine with the fact that everyone has different opinions on favourite shows and if we all loved the same things life would be very boring indeed, but the one thing i do not understand is how using JB as an example that people can say shows like it have no content except the songs...do people switch off between songs then. I think that JB has one of the strongest storylines within a musical for years....it keeps the audiences captivated...or at least the audiences ive been in anyway...come on when you have audience members actually shouting for more it must mean that theyve enjoyed the show.
ive been lucky enough to make lots and lots of new friends from my love for JB...because we chatted through places like facebook talking about the show and met up to go and see it....which i personally do not see as a bad thing as some of these people are now friends for life.
I just hope that this show is able to run for a good while yet....yes i know it probably will not run for as long as something like Les Mis, as it has the good old 'jukebox musical' tag, and for most shows of that genre that is not a good thing to gain because audiences are so fickle, and will not go because of the tag...but please if youve not seen the show, go and see it...you will get a fantastic evening of enjoyment....i defy any to go and see jb and not come out of the theatre without a smile on your face.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jersey Boys - Two Years On.#11
Posted: 3/21/10 at 9:52am
What a lovely post.