Page: 1

War Horse New York?

winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse New York? #1
Posted: 1/16/10 at 11:55pm
Are there any plans to bring War Horse to America? I would love for this to play Broadway at some point despite the fact that I am a little unsure of its success here. But, we shall see.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Updated On: 1/17/10 at 11:55 PM
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse US?#2
Posted: 1/17/10 at 1:09am
It is very possible, and at this point will most likely end up at the Vivian Beaumont. Bob Boyett has a "first look" deal with the National Theatre and also works quite a bit with Lincoln Center Theatre (and of course LCT has present other National productions such as Carousel) so it would make sense for it to go there after South Pacific ends its run.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse US?#2
Posted: 1/17/10 at 4:49am
I would feel comfortable if it went there rather then a commercial house. I just feel that if it did go to a commercial house, it might suffer the same Broadway fate as Coram Boy. A show that was successful in London for a couple of years, but was gone in the blink of an eye in The States.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse US?#3
Posted: 1/18/10 at 12:50pm
Given the staging concept for this show the Beaumont is just about the only place it can go.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse US?#4
Posted: 1/18/10 at 6:33pm
It should do a neat gait over this fall, think they are holding out for South Pacific to close, when the box office falls.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse US?#5
Posted: 1/18/10 at 8:01pm
The thing with South Pacific is that it is playing in a non profit house and still being a successful run for Lincoln Center Theatre. I think that South Pacific will close when LCT finds the show not to be profitable.
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse US?#6
Posted: 1/18/10 at 10:55pm
Don't most shows close when the producers find them not to be profitable?
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse US?#7
Posted: 1/19/10 at 4:16am
Traditionally most not-for-profit theatres don't keep successful shows running, they're usually just limited runs which can then transfer to another house, usually with additional commercial producers backing.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse US?#8
Posted: 1/19/10 at 4:31am
That's not fully true. Generally speaking all the non profit theatre companies on Broadway have shows that play limited runs during the course of a season. When South Pacific came, it was the second and final production for Lincoln Center Theatre. However, due to the fact that there was nothing scheduled after it, they kept it open all this time.

I know that this is not the case but I am about to give a hypothetical example. Let's say that Roundabout Theatre Company had another show scheduled for The Henry Miller's Theatre after Bye Bye Birdie. But, Birdie got great reviews and is selling well. They could choose to do one of two things. The first one is that they can close Birdie when they said originally would. Or they could keep it open for a little longer and push back the starting time of the next show lined up for that theatre.

Non Profit shows don't always make the jump to an open ended run. Yes, it does happen. But, it isn't that common. Hell, 39 Steps opened on Broadway at Roundabout and while it did get a transfer with a commercial producer, that is something that is rare. Same thing for Doubt. That play opened up with a non profit and then went to an open ended run.

Granted, the examples I listed were ones that were exceptions to the rule that most non profit shows don't transfer. This is due to the fact that it is just too expensive to do so.

I believe that LCT is keeping South Pacific open as long as it has because it is still making them money, it is still holding up well enough for an audience. And, it now has the record of being the longest running show LCT has done.

I think that LCT, if they are smart, would wait until the momentum for this show dies down before they bring in something else.

Keep in mind, that they are doing a good job of using other Broadway theatres and renting them out for their other shows that they wish to produce. Keep in mind that In The Next Room, Or The Vibrator Play was produced by Lincoln Center Theatre and that was done in the Lyceum Theatre. Joe Turner's Come And Gone was also produced by LCT but due to South Pacific being in their main theatre, they rented out The Belasco.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse US?#9
Posted: 1/20/10 at 8:25pm
60% of the shows audience in London is American.