Page: 1

The Wonder Of 'Wicked'

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#1
Posted: 1/6/10 at 7:11am
The producers have just announced that the London production took a staggering 27 million at the box office in 2009.
The total box office since opening is now nearing 95 million!

Long may it be on the London stage.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#2
Posted: 1/6/10 at 8:25am
Amazing success for a show that critics didn't much care for when it opened in New York. I've always been a fan of Stephen Schwartz - love all his scores and certainly love this one. I remember when I saw it in New York a few weeks after it opened - I'd never heard any of the music and had read reviews which slated the score and then kept hearing one great song after another. It really is a "wicked" show!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#2
Posted: 1/6/10 at 9:45am
And I recall people predicting it wouldn't last after Idina left!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#3
Posted: 1/6/10 at 9:57am
I never understood why they brought her over, and on sucha high salery, the majority of people had no idea who she was, it was only the theatre geeks among us who did
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#4
Posted: 1/6/10 at 12:24pm
Good for them, though I don't enjoy the 'fangirl'ish nature the show has taken on, I've enjoyed it and seen it several times here and in NY and any show that brings in that kind of money is doing good for theatre as a whole.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#5
Posted: 1/6/10 at 12:50pm
^ Agreed. I can't say I'm a fan of Wicked, but it's always nice to see an original show that can sell tickets on the name of the show itself rather than who's in it.
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#6
Posted: 1/8/10 at 6:14am
Thats amazing statistics....I thought it was floundering for some reason. Glad it isn't as I am a fan.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#7
Posted: 1/8/10 at 6:23am
According to their figures (legally they are not allowed to falsify figures released to the public) the show hasn't played to less than 78% in its entire run.
BWF Profile PhotoBWF Profile Photo
BWF
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#8
Posted: 1/8/10 at 8:11am
I went to see Wicked in London while it was in previews specifically because Idina was in it. I went again a month later because I enjoyed it so much.

It's a fair old step from South Wales to The Smoke so I can't see just any old thing, although I wish I could, if you know what I meanThe Wonder Of 'Wicked'
The great thing with human brains is they're fanless, nice and quiet although I'm sure mine whistles a bit sometimes.
Updated On: 1/8/10 at 08:11 AM
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#9
Posted: 1/8/10 at 9:06am
SO much for "Bat out of hell" going in...
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#10
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:09am
Haha, yea that seems ages ago that that was going in.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#11
Posted: 1/8/10 at 2:42pm
Is that still even on the cards, or has it died a quiet death?

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#12
Posted: 1/8/10 at 2:44pm
78% is very good considering the Apollo Victoria is a 2200 seater theatre, I imagine ATG will want Wicked to stay there for another few years so it will reach its 5th birthday and mark 2000 performances with ease.

It's still huge on Broadway and I imagine when the movie eventually comes out, it will elevate it to a new level.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#13
Posted: 1/8/10 at 8:07pm
See, I don't even know if there is even going to be a movie based on this. People are talking like it is a sure thing. The only thing I know to be accurate as far as a movie was concerned, was that Universal Pictures bought the rights to the book thinking that it would work as a film. When they realized that it was better off as a musical then a movie they decided to produce the musical.

I just find it amazing that it is able to be a sellout regardless of where in the world it is playing. I do consider the show to be a mega musical in the same vein as those that the Brits gave the world in the 80's. This is because just like with shows like Les Miserables, Phantom, or Miss Saigon etc, people went to see the show because of the show itself and the spectical that it gave rather then who was in the cast.

I mean, sure, there are us theatre nerds who would say that they have their Elphaba or Glinda of choice, but for the most part, I feel like the average person doesn't know or care about that.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#14
Posted: 1/8/10 at 8:21pm
I agree Winston, a movie is a long way off, if ever.
soundofnuns Profile Photosoundofnuns Profile Photo
soundofnuns
Understudy
Understudy
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#15
Posted: 1/8/10 at 8:42pm
A lot of the Wicked cast members know about it so it think it might be more than a rumour now. IMBD says 2010 but thats clearly not gonna happen....
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#16
Posted: 1/9/10 at 1:54am
Soundofnuns, there was an article in The New York Times recently that talked about how things said on theatre message boards have a tendency to get out of hand. Having people in the show hear rumours and start to think that they are facts. Now, I know that this forum is not the only message board forum that talks about London theatre. Just like there are other message boards other then Broadwayworld that talk about the goings on on Broadway.

I believe that the whole idea of a movie happening is one that people assume would due to the fact that there had been a fair amount of current musicals being turned into films and that Wicked therefor must be happening. That simply is not the case for Wicked.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#17
Posted: 1/9/10 at 11:18am
This is an amazing success for a show with no names and no stunt casting, dont get that often these days. Quite enjoy Wicked, although I always thought for a show about witches it lacked magic and wasted the opportunity for special effects. I wouldnt quite call it as big a mega musical just yet on the same scale as Phantom, Les Mis, Mamma Mia etc as it hasnt the number of international productions quite yet these have/have had. But its well on its way

I do find the 78% thing questionable, I know ive seen it once a couple years ago and I would have said the theatre was below 70% full. But either way, great for Wicked!
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#18
Posted: 1/9/10 at 5:36pm
Princeton2, I don't think that number of international productions means anything with regards to Wicked being on the same page as Les Miserables or Miss Saigon in terms of being a mega musical. What I meant by that was that for shows like Les Miserables, Phantom etc, they have very elaborate and fancy sets and the shows are full of special effects etc. It was (and for the cases of Phantom and Les Miserables at The Queen's) the show that sold tickets.

I mean, I do doubt that people are lining up to see Phantom either on Broadway or in London due to who is currently in the cast. They are going to see it because of the show itself.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#19
Posted: 1/9/10 at 7:55pm
I do find the 78% thing questionable, I know ive seen it once a couple years ago and I would have said the theatre was below 70% full. But either way, great for Wicked!
Depending on how the 78% is worked out it certainly means that the attendance averaged above 78% and also likely that the 78% is possible revenue so could be lower attendance if the seats sold were the more expensive seats (1 top price ticket is more than 4 bottom price tickets at the Apollo Victoria I believe).

However that figure came about it is impressive.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#20
Posted: 1/12/10 at 4:08pm
I could not really add to this thread as I was away, as you know I am not a big fan of Wicked, I have issues with the book, it is a lavish show with a handful of good songs.

But good on the producers for releasing there London figures, it give me a rare treat to compare London and New York figures. It does show that spectacles do pull punters in and reviews are not as important as they once were.

London 27m

New York 48.5m

So now this has been put into context, you can see New York productions do a lot better financially, I know some would argue that New York charges more for tickets, roughly about a 1/3 more, but the Apollo has 400 more seats over the Gershwin, that id 3200 more seats a week.
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#21
Posted: 1/14/10 at 5:42pm
You can't really say that New York production do better financially by comparing one set of figures from one show. You are also falling into the trap of thinking higher grosses means doing better. This isn't the case - what producers are interested in is profitabilty. It could be that a show in NY takes more but a show in London is more profitible. Although shows in London don't release figures, they quite often announce when they recoup (production costs) and very often shows in London recoup much earlier than in NY, where shows can run several years without recouping.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonder Of 'Wicked'#22
Posted: 1/15/10 at 7:53am
^ I don't disagree with you Keith, however we the theatre public would never be privy to find out operating costs. It was a privilege for the Wicked producers to announce there 2009 figures, which gave me a rare insight to compare Broadway and a West End production, I am aware the Broadway show would take a lot longer to recoup than London as Broadway had to take all the development costs, however the 2009 figures are a good comparison as both New York and London have recouped, also demonstrates how much more New York theatre makes compared with London.

Interesting to read this week that Billy Elliot on Broadway has just recouped, which took 15 months of virtually sell out performances at full ticket prices, goes to demonstrate how hard it is to make money in theatre.