Page: 1

Sweet...SWEET Charity

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#1
Posted: 12/3/09 at 10:36am
FANTASTIC. Possibly the best revival to date of a Broadway classic.

Completly what I wanted. I always thought this show was fantastic and just need the correct tweaks and staging to really showcase of possibly one of the best scores ever written for the Broadway stage.

Its almost sold out at the Menier, but I've a feeling the booking for the West End (*cough* Wyndhams *cough* with producer *cough* Cameron *cough*) will open early the new year.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#2
Posted: 1/12/10 at 11:31am
I had to scroll through almost five pages to find this thread. Why is there no talk here about this wonderful production? For me it's the best thing I've seen at the Menier and that's saying something. I note that the New York Times' Ben Brantly, on his winter London sojourn, gave it a rave review the other day. It's well deserved.

I know it's selling out but has no one here seen it?
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sweet...SWEET Charity#2
Posted: 1/12/10 at 11:48am
there was a big thread on this and a review thread
former sadm2 (wink)
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sweet...SWEET Charity#3
Posted: 1/12/10 at 4:58pm
It's also sold out, so those of us who didn't book tickets in 2009 are screwed Sweet...SWEET Charity

And I don't think the Wyndhams transfer is happening any more.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#4
Posted: 1/12/10 at 5:04pm
I'm seeing this on Friday February 19 - booked as soon as tickets went on sale last year and have been looking forward to it ever since. With the comments I've read about this production, now I'm looking forward even more!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 1/12/10 at 05:04 PM
UKtheatrekid
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Sweet...SWEET Charity#5
Posted: 1/12/10 at 6:44pm
i've heard rumblings of a transfer somewhere the menier know quite well....having only just left the space on route to New York....
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#6
Posted: 1/13/10 at 6:57am
ATG want it in the Playhouse... All depends on if Cameron wants to find the transfer...

If he dosen't and Sweet Charity does go the Playhouse, Avenue Q looks set to go to its thrid home
K2503 Profile PhotoK2503 Profile Photo
K2503
Understudy
Understudy
Sweet...SWEET Charity#7
Posted: 1/18/10 at 8:22am
Saw this on Friday night and can only agree how fantastic this production is. From the opening to the end I was entranced. Fantastic performances, great staging, Tamsin O was sensational! Well, all cast members were sensational. Highly deserves a transfer and I would see it again (and again).

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#8
Posted: 1/18/10 at 9:23am
I saw this recently, wasnt that excited to be honest as I had seen the film and didnt like it much.

This production however is a sensation, smart, slick, sexy, funny, and very cool. It totally changed my view of the musical. The only tiny downside is it was possible a tad too long, but thats a very small issue.

I couldnt believe the set, brilliant, especially for such a small space. They must have designed that with a transfer in mind.

The cast, wow, Tamzin is a revelation (how tiny is she in real life!)and has a really good voice and great comic timing, Mark Umbers is sexy, cool and geeky, as required by the characters he plays. I wish I saw him in Funny Girl in Chichester, he is perfect for Nick. The ensemble are again sexy and very tight in their dancing.

The best thing ive seen in a LONG LONG time!!
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sweet...SWEET Charity#9
Posted: 1/18/10 at 1:45pm
Princeton, your review just makes me wasnt to kick myself even harder for not booking a ticket to this when I had the chance before Christmas.

I may make the trek south of the river next month to see if I have any luck with a return. Has anyone else tried this with any success? If not, fingers crossed for a transfer announcement to a West End house Playhouse soon-ish.
Seen some shows in my time....
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#10
Posted: 1/20/10 at 8:28pm
BBC TV are going to film this in its entirety at the Menier for broadcast late 2011. When i asked why so long to be screened, the answer was it can't be shown till the West End is done with it!!!
They plan to tape 2 added performances that will not be public performances.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#11
Posted: 1/21/10 at 1:47pm
eeeek :)

that's right...literally squeeling like a schoolgirl!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#12
Posted: 1/21/10 at 4:16pm
^^^^^^^^

What a poof!

Seriously though, I don't like stage shows that have been filmed for television. I was watching some of the Donmar's Company as filmed for the BBC on YouTube this week and not enjoying it.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#13
Posted: 1/21/10 at 4:20pm
I have to say I agree, theatre when filmed seems flat and can drag on (even if its something I loved in reality). Having said that id still watch/buy it!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#14
Posted: 1/21/10 at 4:27pm
HATE them but i buy them ALL.

Maybe this filming is to substitute the fact hat it may now not transfer as fast as everyone seemed to think it was.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#15
Posted: 1/21/10 at 4:32pm
I did wonder how plausable a transfer would be, Tamzins schedule must be pretty busy, and is Sweet Charity a commercial enough show to sell in the current climate, I m not sure. Night Music didnt sell out dispite strong reviews. It does deserve a transfer though, guess the Playhouse is the next logical theatre for it
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#16
Posted: 1/21/10 at 11:01pm
It's possible since La Cage didn't transfer until October 2008 so it may be that a transfer will happen but not straight away.

The BBC have done a filmed version of The RSC's Hamlet and are doing The Chichester Production of Macbeth with Patrick Stewart, I know More4 and the RSC did King Lear but that was a bit more stagey. The last filmed London musical was Our House, I wonder if Sweet Charity will be filmed like Our House or like Hamlet and the NT production of Oklahoma!
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#17
Posted: 1/22/10 at 4:50am
The cast seem pretty certain they will be playing Sweet Chairty in the West End come April time...

Playhouse, Duke of Yorks(all of which have previously housed a Menier show) are still open and if rumours of Cameron being attached are true - so is the Novello.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#18
Posted: 1/22/10 at 5:11am
'Bad Girls' is the last one I can recall that was filmed and released Jon?
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#19
Posted: 1/22/10 at 8:57am
Guess its being worked on, this is on the Menier website

Missed Out On Sweet Charity?
If you didn't manage to buy tickets for Sweet Charity at the Chocolate Factory why not sign up to our Disappointed Bookers list.

Just send an email to sweetcharity@menierchocolatefactory.com and we will get in touch with ticket details if the show transfers to the West End.

Menier Box Office
lotiloti Profile Photolotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sweet...SWEET Charity#20
Posted: 1/22/10 at 2:25pm
I understand it's going to the Haymarket
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet...SWEET Charity#21
Posted: 1/23/10 at 4:36am
yeah ive heard the Haymarket rumour too, dates would fit, and the right type of audience too
carriesparkle
Stand-by
Stand-by
Sweet...SWEET Charity#22
Posted: 1/24/10 at 1:51pm
Tamzin Outhwaite has been off sick this weekend - Tiffany Graves is on as Charity.
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sweet...SWEET Charity#23
Posted: 1/25/10 at 10:32am
Gutted i have not been able to see this
former sadm2 (wink)