Page: 1

Michael Ball 'The Producer' and a major revival for him in 2011

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Interesting bit in the official release.

'Ball has been appointed as associate producer and will work with Stage in developing new work and roles, including ones specifically tailored to the actor. These will include a major musical revival in 2011.

Commenting on today?s announcement, Ball said: ?I knew when I originally took on the part of Edna that she was going to be a big part of my life, in every way, but I never realised just how big. Hairspray is truly one of the greatest experiences of my career and the chance to have just a few more nights in those frocks was an opportunity I couldn?t miss! With so much on I?m unable to do all dates, but I promise that we?ll have some brilliant performers lined up for our UK tour. Moving forward, to now be working as an associate producer with Stage Entertainment developing new shows, new roles and new opportunities in the future is an honour, and something I can?t wait to get stuck in to.?

Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Interesting that he has been appointed associate producer but I think it could be a career he could go into when he eventually retires from showbusiness, it's clear that Stage Entertainment want a presence in the UK and the West End and hiring Michael Ball is a good choice.

Will be interesting what the major revival is, he was touted for PT Barnum in Cameron Mackintosh's upcoming revival of Barnum which has gone quiet, Stage Entertainment has worked to produce productions of Mamma Mia, Lion King, Tarzan etc across Europe as well as original productions such as Elisabeth and Tanz de Vampire so it will be interesting what they come up with.

'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
"Will be interesting what the major revival is, he was touted for PT Barnum in Cameron Mackintosh's upcoming revival of Barnum which has gone quiet"

This came up in a radio interview at the weekend I can't remember the exact wording but Michael Ball said he had been approached to do Barnum, but he wasn't going to be involved.
aka Ria
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
"Barnum" was to be a John Barrowman vehicle, until he purportedly had a bit of a falling out with Cameron Mackintosh. I wonder when they offered it to Michall Ball instead? With the film coming being made, albeit not the same thing, it makes one think it still might be on the cards down the line.

Presuming the major revival will be a "Stage" production (he might have been committed to something before that association, so it isn't necessarily a given), does anyone know what potential "major" revivals they actually hold the rights to?
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As long as it's not my fair lady... i wouldn't like him as Higgins. I don't really know where this comment came from but i'm tired today so let's all go with it.
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would imagine the sheer fitness regime he would have to undertake to be able to do Barnam would put him off!!
Annas_Priest Profile PhotoAnnas_Priest Profile Photo
Annas_Priest
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I hear its SWEENEY TODD
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweeney Todd would be interesting choice, be good to have a major revival, especially with the recent film. From one extreame to the other from Edna to Sweeney (or would MB play Mrs Lovett?! lol)
'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
Mrs Lovett lol!!

I've lost count of the times MB has said he would love to play Sweeney Todd. So I'd be suprised if it were anything else. lol!!
aka Ria