Page: 2

Rowan Atkinson... not feeling too great.

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mama, I would love to feel that hell to confirm you are right, but fear I never will.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
eh?
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The reason actors get paid is because it is a skill to look as if you are having fun when you're not in the mood!

I remember a time when going into a theatre was like walking into a wonderland. Now I just see how it all works, know how the budgets work, recognize the phoned-in performances, notice the maintenance or lack of it in the lighting rig and get depressed at the way too many theatres are allowed to get into a shabby state front of house. But it's still a good job!

But the magic wonderland was better, I think.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DITO
(sheds tears of rememberance)
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I am of the opinion that if an actor gets bored it is because he/she is doing it for themselves and not for the paying audience, who have a right, having paid a great deal of money, to see an exciting, fresh and stimulating performance.

Sadly the only excitement that most MT perfromers get is in the audition process. They love going through the drama of; will I oe won't I get the job, and then when they do, they are delighted but then the reality of it kicks in.

I have been fortunate to have been in a few long runs and it requires a special discipline to approach each performance anew. But getting the audience response, the laughs, the applause makes it all worthwhile. These are not a given but are earned.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Try touring for 14 months.
jcdenton08
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Really harsh posts from some. Comparing him to McCutcheon? Martine missed her own press night and was rightly hecked by her own cast at the Olivier awards. She often didn't go on due to stage fright, and left the producers with nobody ready to go on with 5 minutes before curtain up.

He has missed a total of about four shows. For a guy who is NOT a theatre man, who has no need for the money already being a multi-millionaire, and for a a man who simply wanted to "taste" theatre by all accounts he is doing an excellent job.

It is winter for goodness sake, people get genuinely ill sometimes - including stars - if some swing misses a show he isn't a "sicknote" is he/she?

Because he is higher-profile, you're right, it's essential he is on as much as possible. But four shows missed over winter is an excellent return by any performer's standards.

Page: 2