Signature Theatre Launches New Voice Competition
Are you the next Broadway or pop sensation? The Tony Award-winning Signature Theatre in Arlington, VA is launching the first 'Signature Voice' competition on August 2nd during the theater's annual Open House. The new 'Signature Voice' competition will replace the popular Signature Idol Competition held over the last five years. Held in Signature's MAX Theatre, the competition will host a panel of three celebrity judges in search of the best undiscovered singers in the DC region.
Signature's artistic staff chooses finalists based on audition videos submitted by the Friday, July 24th deadline. Those interested should upload a video to YouTube and send Signature the link at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are encouraged to apply!Of the videos submitted for consideration, Signature will select four finalists to compete and perform. The winner of the Signature Voice Competition will then have the opportunity to perform later that same day at the 'Broadway on the Plaza' Finale Concert, one of the most exciting events at the Open House. Jade Jones won last year's competition. Previous years' winners include Alex Stone, Maggie Roos, Chelsea Pedano and Gabriel Lopez.
Originally envisioned in 2009 as a one-off tour of Signature's brand-new theatre facility in Shirlington Village, Signature's first Open House generated such attention, big crowds, and good fun that the theatre has turned the event into a summer tradition. Eric Schaeffer, Signature's Artistic Director, describes the Open House as "an all-day extravaganza celebrating our community. One of the Open House highlights is always our Signature talent competition - this year's Signature Voice! Undiscovered talent gets to shine on the Signature stage in this great talent showcase for local talent."
Schaeffer takes one of the three judges' seats on the panel this year, along with NBC4 News Anchor Wendy Rieger and Signature favorite Nova Payton (Signature's Dreamgirls, Hairspray).
Signature's Open House will celebrate the very best in musical theatre, drama, and fun on Sunday, August 2nd from noon to 8:30pm. Free and open to the public, this special event is an entire day full of exciting performances, demonstrations, master classes, exhibits, a concert on the plaza, and kids' activities offered both inside and outside the Signature complex. The entire schedule and list of performers will be announced shortly.
'SIGNATURE VOICE' RULES AND GUIDELINES
- The deadline for video submissions is the end of the day on Friday, July 24.
- Applicants can select any musical theatre song. Auditions may be a cappella or with accompaniment. A pianist will be available to accompany finalists.
- Applicants may choose to accompany themselves with an instrument should they deem it appropriate and supportive of their vocal performance.
- Those interested should upload a video to YouTube and send Signature the link at email@example.com.
- You may not apply if you performed at a previous year's 'Signature Idol' competition.
- No one who has been paid to perform previously on the Signature stage may audition.
- Finalists must be available to attend a rehearsal and the Open House on August 2nd.
- Finalists will be notified by email.