Ellen Burstyn to Join Lineup of Readers in Celebration of National Poetry Month
Celebrated actress Ellen Burstyn,who won an Academy Award for Best Actress for Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, will share some of her favorite poems as part of Poetry & the Creative Mind, a performance in celebration of National Poetry Month to be held April 24, 2019, at Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall.
This entertaining and uplifting annual event celebrates poetry's influence on artists and leaders and raises funds to support free resources serving more than 50,000 K-12 teachers each month.
Other honored readers include:
- Emmy Award-winning journalist Ann Curry
- Emmy-nominated actor Josh Charles
- Musician Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields
- Multimedia visual artist Toyin Ojih Odutola
- James Beard Award-winning chef Daniel Rose
- Ambassador of Ireland Daniel Mulhall
- Philanthropist David Rockefeller Jr.
- Tony Award-winning dancer Savion Glover
- Pulitzer Prize-nominated author Elizabeth Alexander
The Academy of American Poets, based in New York City, is the nation's leading champion of poets and poetry. The organization produces Poets.org, Poem-a-Day, and Teach This Poem and will award more than $1 million to poets this month.
The reading begins in the Starr Theater at 6:30 p.m. A private cocktail reception will follow in the front lobby at 8:15 p.m. General Admission tickets are available through the Lincoln Center box office.
The evening is made possible in part by AB Bernstein, ABRAMS, Andrews McMeel Publishing, Barnes & Noble, JetBlue, Poets & Writers, Simon & Schuster, and our exclusive media partner WQXR.
Photo Credit: Walter McBride / WM Photos