Page: 5

The religion of peace strikes again.

qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #101
Posted: 8/17/17 at 7:37pm

13 dead in Barcelona. Religion is actually the worst. 

"Itís the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #102
Posted: 8/17/17 at 7:38pm

Stop the indoctrination of children. 

Stop the viral spread of cancerous false beliefs. 

Stop accusing those who are willing to stand up and criticise powerful immoral false right-wing ideologies as racist or bigoted. In a progressive society we must allow the criticm of all religions to take place. Christianity and Islam are destroying this planet and causing too much suffering - in the name of bull****. 

"Itís the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
Updated On: 8/17/17 at 07:38 PM
UncleCharlie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The religion of peace strikes again. #103
Posted: 8/17/17 at 9:58pm

Image result for susan powter stop the insanity

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 09:58 PM
South Florida Profile PhotoSouth Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #104
Posted: 8/18/17 at 7:24am

Can the book change the way you think too Charlie?

Stephanatic
@z5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #105
Posted: 8/18/17 at 12:07pm

Finland, now. The religion of peace strikes again. Prayers with those affected by these evil savages. 

South Florida
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #106
Posted: 8/18/17 at 8:02pm

Were you here in such strength after the NAZI'S ***hole?

Stephanatic
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #107
Posted: 8/18/17 at 8:35pm

Calm down - obviously 1 death (as needless and devastating as it was) is a bit less concerning than the almost daily mass killings committed with these false and dangerous religious motivations. 

I'm not sure whether the Finland attack was an Islamic terrorist attack yet. The problem is these are going to keep happening because we have done nothing to help stop the spread of the cancerous ideas in the first place. We can do all we can to try and get people as or just before they strike. However, unless we actually look at the root cause here (religious beliefs) we will never solve this.

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #108
Posted: 9/15/17 at 7:45pm

ANOTHER attack in London. We don't have a suspect yet but given the pattern of behaviour and region affected it's probably not hard to guess. When we have so many attacks happening why do some people continue to sweep the truth under the rug and pretend we have nothing to be concerned about? The idea that terrorism should become part of a daily living is an unfortunate reality. The people committing these attacks are not armed with books teaching them to reason and reject false and harmful ideas. That means something. 

South Florida
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #109
Posted: 9/15/17 at 8:53pm

You are super dumb. 

Stephanatic
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #110
Posted: 9/15/17 at 9:13pm

I'm just happy that people will look back to this time the same way we look back to Christians burning witches and think what a barbaric and intellectually absurd time we live in where we not only excuse but actively encourage people indoctrinating their children with false beliefs. It is funny how truly religious the world remains in 2017. We need it gone and quickly. Islam and Christianity need to go first. 

Updated On: 9/15/17 at 09:13 PM
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #111
Posted: 9/15/17 at 9:38pm

I do concede that it is hard to navigate this topic without offending someone. Perhaps I can turn it back on others if they don't like my methods: How can we criticise the morality and truthfulness of religious beliefs while being sensitive to others? Simply not discussing it is not an option. Not when gay people are suffering and planes are being flown into buildings. 

Perhaps not drawing analogies between religions beliefs and cancer or disease might be a start :p. 

Updated On: 9/15/17 at 09:38 PM
kdogg36 Profile Photokdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #112
Posted: 9/19/17 at 2:50pm

Since the attack in London occurred - pretty much a total fizzle that gave a handful of people minor burns - the US media has covered it intensively. Meanwhile, assuming it was a typical day on American roads, about thirty people were killed by drunk drivers that same day. How much coverage has that gotten?

I'm obviously not anti-media like Trump is, but I do have my issues with those who deliver the news. Skewed media coverage has deluded most citizens into believing that terrorism is a more serious threat to our well-being than things like drunk driving or heart disease. This is a fabulous gift to the terrorists, whose real power to harm us pales in comparison to other threats.

Of course, citizens who let themselves be deluded are equally to blame. The relevant data is out there for anyone to see.

ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #113
Posted: 9/19/17 at 3:35pm

"Of course, citizens who let themselves be deluded are equally to blame. The relevant data is out there for anyone to see."

True! But some people like to remain ignorant while acting intellectually superior.

givesmevoice Profile Photogivesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #114
Posted: 9/21/17 at 9:16am

kdogg36 said: "Of course, citizens who let themselves be deluded are equally to blame. The relevant data is out there for anyone to see."

That should be "The relevant data are out there for anyone to see." The singular form is "datum."

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
kdogg36 Profile Photokdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #115
Posted: 9/21/17 at 9:38am

givesmevoice said: "That should be "The relevant data are out there for anyone to see." The singular form is "datum.""

Many speakers of Standard English - including me - construe data as singular. If you do a Google search, you'll find style guides out there on both sides of the issue.

For instance, here's the definition at Merriam-Webster. Their two example sentences illustrate the use of data with singular and plural verb agreement:

the data is plentiful and easily available —H. A. Gleason, Jr.

comprehensive data on economic growth have been published —N. H. Jacoby

I also pasted their usage note below. (By the way, I'm not claiming that you won't find sources that agree with you; the note below states as much. I'm only pointing out that there's no definitive answer here.)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Is data singular or plural?

Data leads a life of its own quite independent of datum, of which it was originally the plural. It occurs in two constructions: as a plural noun (like earnings), taking a plural verb and plural modifiers (such as these, many, a few) but not cardinal numbers, and serving as a referent for plural pronouns (such as they, them); and as an abstract mass noun (like information), taking a singular verb and singular modifiers (such as this, much, little), and being referred to by a singular pronoun (it). Both constructions are standard. The plural construction is more common in print, evidently because the house style of several publishers mandates it.

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #116
Posted: 9/21/17 at 6:35pm

kdogg, I don't disagree with you that maybe some sense of perspective is needed and there are other more important issues. For example, I am very passionately angry at the effects of passive cigarette smoking because people are being exposed to cancerous substances in situations they may not have any personal choice over.

At the same time (and I don't think you implied this but I think others here would) I don't think it means we can simply ignore this issue - and acknowledge that the issue isn't just terrorism. The issue is also homophobia, the issue is misogyny, the issue is indoctrination of children with the false beliefs. I personally find this topic interesting because religion is just one of those privileged things in society that I think we have got wrong and we need a cultural revolution to change it. However, it feels like there is NO ONE that will be on board with this except a group of small passionate lepers (i.e., atheists) that no one likes.

Because of our silly identity-politics systems and the effectiveness of religion to insert itself like a cancer into our society, there is almost no one advocating to change processes for its removal. The "left wing" types do anything they can to excuse, ignore or blatantly lie about the atrocities of Islam - even while the people they apparently care about (muslims) are the ones suffering because of it. The "right wing" types ARE the religious fundamentalists (particularly Christians) that we are having to stand up time and time again to protect our rights.

I just find it particularly funny that it's all over what are essentially set of beliefs that are completely wrong - like absolutely bull****. And I take pride and no shame into OF COURSE being intellectually superior *in this domain* than the mindless drones that have in some (or one case - the first case of this idiom) literally swallowed the kool aid. I find it so hilariously absurd. And some (most) people actually think we need a whack job who has bought into these belief systems to lead the country?? People are so, so, so SO stupid. It's unintellectual, it's immoral. It's absurd. 

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #117
Posted: 10/31/17 at 5:12pm
And here we go again.
South Florida
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The religion of peace strikes again. #118
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:13pm

You are a cancer.  Bernadette Peters, who is an average talent would smack you in the face probly.  Go away!

Stephanatic
StarFire2 Profile PhotoStarFire2 Profile Photo
StarFire2
Swing
Swing
The religion of peace strikes again. #119
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:40pm

I agree. Sadly, people think their religion is their identity. As long as they don't learn it's not, they will stay confused.

What means nothing for you, means everything for me (c)

Page: 5