The Wallis Collaborates With Composer Stephen Schwartz For ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop
The 2019 ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop, in partnership with Universal Theatrical Group (UTG) and the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts (The Wallis), returns to The Wallis' Beverly Hills campus in May marking the fourth consecutive year for this creative collaboration. The acclaimed workshop series gives participating composers and lyricists the rare opportunity to present selections from original musical works-in-progress for professional critique.
Applications for the 2019 ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop are now being accepted through February 22, 2019. The workshop, which takes place on May 18 & 19 is led by Artistic Director Stephen Schwartz-the Tony, Oscar and Grammy Award-winning composer/lyricist whose credits include the Broadway smash Wicked, Godspell, Pippin, as well as the Walt Disney films Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the DreamWorks' film The Prince of Egypt, with the Broadway show in development. The two-day program is composed of various workshop sessions featuring prominent guests from all aspects of musical theater, including producers, directors, critics, performers and composers. Tickets to the workshop sessions will be available to the public and detailed ticket information is forthcoming.
"The Wallis is delighted to build upon its successful partnerships with Stephen Schwartz and The ASCAP Foundation, as well as Universal Theatrical Group to present our fourth collaborative effort of the ASCAP workshop," said The Wallis' Artistic Director Paul Crewes. "These workshops are an important part of the future of new musical theater."
Writers interested in applying for participation in The ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop in Los Angeles should submit the following:
- CD of four (4) songs from your musical
- Lyric sheets for each of the four songs
- A brief description of each song as to its plot placement
- A brief synopsis of the musical
- Biographical information for each composer, lyricist and book writer
- Contact information (including e-mail address, phone number and mailing address)
Send your completed submission package to:
Michael A. Kerker
7920 Sunset Blvd. Suite 300
ATTN: ASCAP Musical Theatre Workshop
Deadline: Submissions must be received in the ASCAP office by Friday, February 22, 2019.
1. Please submit four (4) songs only. If you send a full recording, ASCAP will only listen to the first four (4) songs.
2. Submissions do not need to be produced in a studio as we are looking for talent and potential, not production value.
3. If your musical is selected, you will need to present 50 consecutive minutes at the workshop. The 50-minute selection must include book and song.
4. Those who have been accepted to present material in the workshop will be contacted by March 31, 2019.
5. Those who will be invited to audit the workshop will receive an e-mail invitation.
6. Please do not call to ask if you have been selected.
7. Submissions will not be returned.
For further information about the ASCAP submission process, please call ASCAP at (323) 883-1000. Information regarding public tickets to attend The ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop on May 18 - 19, 2019 is forthcoming.