The Theatre Podcast With Alan Seales Welcomes Director Christopher Ashley
Podcast Exclusive: The Theatre Podcast with Alan Seales: Christopher Ashley
The Tony Award winning Broadway director and artistic director of the La Jolla Playhouse.
Christopher Ashley has had a long and varied career on both the east and west coasts of America. After graduating from Yale, he spent many years in New York as a Broadway director before transitioning over to California to take on the role of artistic director of the La Jolla Playhouse. While he is primarily based on the west coast now, he still pops back east to direct.
In this episode, Christopher discusses:
- His time at Yale university being a theatre-loving math major
- His early career as a director with some questionable characters
- Directing Come From Away, for which he won the Tony for best direction of a musical
- His work at the La Jolla Playhouse, including a new show about the life of Princess Diana, simply called Diana
- The sense of community art brings and why it is important to keep it funded
What is The Theatre Podcast?
A weekly release of intimate, personal conversations with theatre's biggest talents showcasing what makes them human. Featuring stars of the stage and the producers, stage managers, directors, press and marketing agents, theatre owners and other creatives of this industry. Hosted by Alan Seales. Produced by Jillian Hochman. Music by Jukebox the Ghost.
Visit TheTheatrePodcast.com to listen to more episodes.