Frost Art Museum FIU Announces Exhibitions, Lectures and Events for 2015-16
The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum FIU, the Smithsonian Affiliate in Miami, presents its annual calendar of exhibitions, lectures and events for the new 2015-2016 season and announces the launch of several new initiatives.
The new season features major offerings, including: Walls of Color: The Murals of Hans Hofmann (October 10, 2105 - January 3, 2016); the only exhibition in the Southeastern U.S. of Predators and Prey: A Roman Mosaic from Lod, Israel (February-May, 2016); the national premiere tour of Shakespeare and his First Folio from the Folger Shakespeare Library, Florida's only museum venue for this traveling exhibition (February 1-28, 2016); Carlos Estevez: Celestial Traveler (September 12, 2015-January 3, 2016); and Smithsonian American Art Museum: Art of Video Games (January 23-April 17, 2016).
Walls of Color: The Murals of Hans Hofmann opens October 10, 2015 and will headline the museum's Art Basel season, on view through January 3, 2016. The exhibition focuses on the artist's public mural projects, and also includes several key later paintings. It features nine oil studies (each seven feet tall) for the redesign of the Peruvian city of Chimbote (Hofmann's visionary collaboration in 1950 with Catalan architect Jose Luis Sert that was never realized).
Events at the Frost Art Museum FIU this year include the museum's 12th Annual Art Basel Breakfast in the Park, featuring American sculptor Alice Aycock (on the Sunday morning of Art Basel, December 6, 2015), and the Steven and Dorothea Green Critics' Lecture Series (October 10, 2015) presenting Dr. Kenneth Silver, Professor of Art History at New York University and the curator of Walls of Color: The Murals of Hans Hofmann.
During Art Basel week, the museum will feature six exhibitions on view.
The Southeastern U.S. debut of The Lod Mosaic (February-May, 2016) concludes its world tour, which included the Musée du Louvre in Paris, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the Legion of Honor in San Francisco, the Field Museum in Chicago, the Altes Museum in Berlin and The Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia.
"The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum FIU is launching several new initiatives this season that will further establish its prominence in Miami and its national and global reputation," said the museum's new Director, Dr. Jordana Pomeroy. "These new initiatives include the museum's first-ever advisory board, the launch of our new website, as well as a signature wide-angle lens on art history through our new exhibition and educational programming." The following calendar provides more detailed information and links for September through February (and will be updated at thefrost.fiu.edu).
- NEW SEASON CALENDAR -
- Carlos Estevez: Celestial Traveler
(Sept. 12-Jan. 3) Read more at carlosestevez.net
(On view during Art Basel.)
- Jim Couper: There Are No Other Everglades in the World (Sept. 12-Nov. 1) More about the artist at this link.
- Rufina Santana: Cartographies of the Sea
(Sept. 12-Dec. 13 ) Learn more about the artist at rufinasantana.com. (On view during Art Basel.)
- Walls of Color: The Murals of Hans Hofmann (Oct. 10-Jan. 3) Read the New York Times review by Roberta Smith of this touring exhibition. (On view during Art Basel.)
- The Steven & Dorothea Green Critics' Lecture Series Presents: Dr. Kenneth Silver (Oct. 10) Read more about the lecturer here. Dr. Silver is the Curator of Walls of Color: The Murals of Hans Hofmann.- Weird, Wild & Wonderful - The Second New York Botanical Garden Triennial Exhibition (Curated by the American Society of Botanical Artists) (Oct. 10-Jan. 3) Learn more about these beautiful paintings and illustrations here. (On view during Art Basel.)
- Carola Bravo: Blurred Borders
(Nov. 21-Feb. 28) View the artist's immersive site-specific installations on this video. (On view during Art Basel.)
- Ramon Espantaleon: The Temptation (Nov. 21-Feb. 28) Read more about the artist at ramonespantaleon.com
(On view during Art Basel.)
December 2015 & Art Basel Week
- 12th Annual Art Basel Breakfast in the Park: American Sculptor Alice Aycock (Dec. 6, 9:30 a.m. - Noon) This event draws hundreds of art enthusiasts, patrons, collectors, gallery owners and artists from around the world, many of whom are visiting Miami for Art Basel. Each year a noted sculptor is invited to speak. Guests enjoy a complimentary outdoor breakfast, informal lecture and guided tours of the Sculpture Park as well as the exhibitions in the museum. More about the guest-lecturer at aaycock.com. View the Sculpture Park's artwork here.
- Art Basel Miami Beach 2015: During Art Basel, the museum will feature six exhibitions: Walls of Color: The Murals of Hans Hofmann; Carlos Estevez: Celestial Traveler; Weird, Wild & Wonderful - The Second New York Botanical Garden Triennial Exhibition; Rufina Santana: Cartographies of the Sea; Weird, Wild & Wonderful - The Second New York Botanical Garden Triennial Exhibition; Carola Bravo: Blurred Borders; and Ramon Espantaleon: The Temptation.
- Smithsonian American Art Museum: Art of Video Games (Jan. 23-April 17) Read more about the exhibition at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Video_Games. Watch a video interview of guest curator Chris Melissino discussing the exhibition.
- Danny Lyon: Memories of the Southern Civil Rights Movement (Jan.-March) View a photo slide-show and read more about this exhibition here.
February 2016- Predators and Prey: A Roman Mosaic from Lod, Israel (February - May) The only exhibition in the Southeastern U.S. and the conclusion of its world tour that included the Musee de Louvre, Paris; the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Legion of Honor, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco; the Field Museum, Chicago; the Altes Museum, Berlin; and Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia. Read more about this historic cultural event at lodmosaic.org.
Video courtesy of The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Shakespeare and his First Folio (Feb. 1 - Feb. 28) The only Florida museum debut of this national traveling exhibition, commemorating the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death. Read more about this traveling exhibition here.
Last season, more than 50,000 visitors made the Frost Art Museum FIU their art destination, experiencing the museum's promise to deliver an international program featuring the world's leading artists, lecturers and special events. Critics and audiences celebrated exhibitions and events including - Xu Bing, Daniel Arsham, Wang Qingsong, and the Museum of Contemporary Art of Buenos Aires' global collection of geometric abstract artists from throughout Europe, North America and Latin America.Audiences enjoyed the museum's guest lecturers Ryan Trecartin and Melissa Chiu, part of the Frost's legacy of presenting the world's most coveted cultural influencers. Educational and community events such as Arts for All: Creativity and Inclusion - All Kids Included were nationally recognized in The Huffington Post and The New York Times.
The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum at Florida International University, the Smithsonian Affiliate in Miami, opened its current 46,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art building in November 2008. Admission to the Museum is always free. The Frost is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, and is located at 10975 SW 17th Street (across from the Blue Garage and adjacent to the Wertheim Performing Arts Center on the Modesto A. Maidique Campus). Hours of operation are Tuesday through Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Sunday noon - 5 p.m. Closed on Mondays and most legal holidays. In association with the Smithsonian since 2000, the Frost Art Museum FIU is part of a select group of museums, cultural, educational, and arts organizations that share the Smithsonian's resources with the nation. For more information, visit thefrost.fiu.edu or call 305-348-2890.
Florida International University is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers more than 180 bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida's anchor institutions, FIU contributes $8.9 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded over 200,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU@I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: the Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has over 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.
More Hot Stories For You
It has been reported that young actor and ballet star, Jack Burns, has passed away suddenly at age fourteen.... (read more)
Voting Open For The 2019 BroadwayWorld Regional Awards Worldwide
Voting is NOW OPEN for the 2019 BroadwayWorld Regional Awards Worldwide, brought to you by TodayTix! The nominees are set, and now you can vote to mak... (read more)
Meet the Cast of WEST SIDE STORY - Now in Previews on Broadway!
West Side Story is officially in previews on Broadway! The new production is directed by Tony Award winner Ivo van Hove; and for the first time ever i... (read more)
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Will Release Cast Album Featuring Jonathan Groff, Tammy Blanchard and Christian Borle
The critically-acclaimed revival of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS will be receiving an original cast recording, to be released by Ghostlight Records. THE NEW... (read more)
Austin Durant Joins The Cast Of MOULIN ROUGE! Beginning Tonight; Danny Burstein Takes Leave Due to Injury
Beginning tonight, Tuesday, December 10 a?" Austin Durant joins the cast of Broadway's Moulin Rouge! The Musical in the role of a?oeHarold Zidler.'... (read more)
Breaking: Caissie Levy, John Cariani, Chip Zien, Tamika Lawrence & More Join CAROLINE, OR CHANGE on Broadway
Caroline, or Change has found its Broadway cast! Roundabout Theatre Company has just announced the cast joining Olivier Award winner Sharon D Clarke i... (read more)