Comscore

Miserable broadway casting?

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Posted: 10/25/13 at 05:52am
I'm sure most of us have read the casting announcement for the Broadway revival of Les Mis.

I'll disclose that I rather like all four announced cast members and would go and see this production.

However the Broadway board has a tonne of hate directed at Ramin Karimloo. That surprised me.

Okay I may be biased having seen him in Sunset Boulevard, Miss Saigon and the Phantoms. But I quite like what he does. I'm guessing our American brethern are judging him based on his 25th anniversary performance of Enjolras?

Anyone else want to illuminate this one? I find him a dependable and impressive leading man along with Hadley Fraser, Earl Carpenter etc.
Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 10/25/13 at 07:08am
meh, all online forums have people who hate and moan so no real surprise

I personally think Ramin is a really exciting performer, and a strong musical theatre actor. The acting side is so often overlooked, being able to belt out a song does not an actor make. For me its his lack of training and slightly raw sound that I like. He is the only one who has ever made me care about the Phantom and not overact it. And give me Ramin over Alfie 'dead eyes' Boe.

I think its a strong cast so far, even though im not a fan of Cassie
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 10/25/13 at 07:19am
I've loved Ramin in everything I've seen him in (or heard him sing). I did not get to see him in Les Mis at the Queens - hoping that I can get to New York next year and see his Valjean there!

I also adore Caissee! Her vocals are mind-blowing. Will be worth the trip across the Atlantic just to hear her sing I Dreamed A Dream.
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** LiCallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz**** Into The Woods***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** In Time O' Strife (NTS tour, Cardiff)**** Damm Yankees**** Natalie Weiss**** The Little Dancer***** If/Then***** The Band Wagon***** The Fortress Of Solitude***** On The Town*** The Last Ship***** Allegro***** Saturday Night***** Side Show***** Made In Dagenham*** Girlfriends**** Jacques Brel Is Alive And Well****
DeNada
Broadway Star
Posted: 10/25/13 at 10:18am
I don't like Ramin because he frequently doesn't sing in tune - loud and with a pleasant tone yes, but not always the right notes. Parts of the Phantom concert were not particularly enjoyable for me as a result. That's it, really - he was okay in Phantom when I saw him live (long before LND etc.) but he's not a performer that excites me and his singing isn't always great.

It's also a bit dull for him to be doing Broadway coming off his stints in London and Toronto; it would have been nice to have someone who hadn't played the role before, but I guess that's Cameron Mackintosh casting for you.

The rest of the casting, however, is all good. Caissie could dream that dream in her sleep after all the practice she got being woebegotten in Ghost; Will Swenson is ace and has the right gravitas; Nikki James is trading down from Nabalungi but I'm sure she'll be smashing.
thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 10/25/13 at 11:01am
As an American who prefers to frequent this board over the Broadway board, I'm personally very excited about Ramin's casting. I've been quite the fan of his since the O2 concert of Les Mis, even if his Enjolras wasn't portrayed ideally. I love his voice, I think he's a great actor who makes some interesting and unique choices, and I'm very, very anxious to finally get to see him live and in his Broadway debut.
Dave19
Broadway Star
Posted: 10/25/13 at 08:08pm
The fact that he sings an entire song without hitting 1 note really disturbs me. He is always above the note and sounds so forced and hysterical that it becomes a parody on musical theatre. He should learn from the masters like John owen Jones and Anthony Warlow. Truthful singing comes with relaxed vocal chords and silky undertones. Not from screaming and hollering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9WGxjBEtyQ

Not 1 note is on key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93eKvCkWMkI

The word "secretly" is supposed to be on the note: D. All 3 syllables.
Mister Karimloo makes up his own tune F, F#, G all three times? So the first note is already 2 notes higher than supposed to be, and the 2nd and third note are 5 notes higher, and it happens evey time he sings the word. How did he come up with this melody? Too bad the whole song is unrecognizable.

Updated On: 10/25/13 at 08:08 PM
mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Posted: 10/27/13 at 08:18pm
I'd almost always advocate singing the actual note - cause a good writer has a reason for the character to sing such notes.

But this is ALW. And its all those bits of endless recit. No wonder Ramin did something else to find some truth. Either that or he didn't pay attention when being taught the melody

Seriously though if he was singing his own melody for the big songs then fine but this? Really?

Message Board

Imelda Staunton Gypsy 23 Posts

BWW BLOGS

Advertisement