2014-05-14America/New_YorkAudition2014-05-14THE FOREIGNER - Encore PlayersTHE FOREIGNER - Encore Players
Encore Players Auditions at KVPAC
Auditions for The Foreigner
By Larry Shue
Directed by Morgan Midkiff
Performances scheduled in the Magyar Main Theatre at KVPAC on the Kennedy Grand Stage
July 18, 19, 20, 2014
All shows begin at 8:00pm, except for Sunday which is a matinee beginning at 2:00pm
Set in a fishing lodge in rural Georgia in the early 1980's, the comedy revolves around two of its guests, Charlie Baker and British Army man Froggy LeSuere. Charlie is so pathologically shy that he is unable to speak. As way of explanation, Froggy claims his companion is the native of an exotic country who does not understand a word of English. Before long, Charlie finds himself privy to assorted secrets and scandals freely discussed in front of him by the other visitors. These include spoiled Southern belle Catherine Simms, her fiancé Reverend David Lee, a seemingly humble preacher with a dark underside, her younger brother Ellard, a simpleton who attempts to teach Charlie English, and Owen Musser, the racist county property inspector, who plans to oust property owner Betty Meeks and convert the lodge into a meeting place for the Ku Klux Klan.
7 roles open ~ 2 females, 5 males
· ‘Foreigner’ of the play
· Englishman in his 30's to 40's
· Friends with Staff Sergeant Froggy LeSeuer
· Extremely shy, dull, and morose
· A proofreader for an English science fiction magazine
· Considers himself boring
Reverend David Marshall Lee
· Catherine’s fiancé in his 30's to 40's
· One of the main villains in the play
· Pretending to be concerned about Betty and her struggling business, secretly attempts to gain control of her lodge so he can turn it into the Tilghman County headquarters for the Ku Klux Klan
· Appears to be friendly, sincere, genuinely decent, kind, and patient
Staff Sergeant Froggy LeSueur
· Ebullient demolition expert from the British Army
· Brings Charlie Baker to Georgia for a three-day weekend.
· Good friends with Betty Meeks and is genuinely concerned about her welfare
· Froggy’s plan is for Betty to be charmed by the exotic visitor while Charlie gets his needed peace and quiet
· In his 40's, Froggy speaks in a Cockney dialect, is dressed in his army fatigues, and is extremely cheerful
· In her 50's to 60's and a widow
· Owner and operator of the fishing lodge and resort in which the play takes place
· Always dreamed of traveling outside of Georgia and is quite thrilled with the prospect of having a ‘‘real, live foreigner’’ as her guest
· Since the death of her husband, Betty has been struggling to keep her resort business alive
· Betty speaks with a strong Georgia accent. She talks to Charlie, ‘‘the foreigner,’’ as if he were deaf, as if speaking louder and slower will facilitate Charlie’s understanding
· The Tilghman County property inspector in his 30's to 40's
· Local Georgia man who serves as the henchman for the main villain, the Reverend David Lee
· Mean-spirited, ignorant, volatile, and extremely prejudiced against anyone who doesn’t fit his ideal of ‘‘Christian, white America’’
· A former debutante and the heiress of a huge fortune
· Just found out she is pregnant
· Engaged to Reverend Lee
· Staying with Betty at the lodge
· Bored with life, restless, and unsure of what she wants
· Small in stature and pretty, in her 20's
· Can be a formidable force and has a sharp tongue and ready wit
· Catherine’s younger brother in his late teens/ early 20's
· An extremely insecure young man who is considered by others to be mentally defective
· A lumpy, overgrown, backward youth, who spends much of his time kneading something tiny and invisible in front of his chest
· Catherine has promised to give half of their very large inheritance if he shows any signs of mental and social competence
· During the course of the play, he proves to have both moderate intelligence and considerable courage.
Auditions to be held Sunday, June 1st from 2-5pm and Monday, June 2nd from 7-9pm.
Call backs will be held only if needed.
Please email KVPAC (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up an appointment time or call 281.829.2787.
Audition location is KVPAC, Building 1, in the Magyar Main Theatre at 2501 S Mason Rd # 290, Katy, TX 77450.
Please prepare a 1-3 minute comedic monologue.
Bring headshot/ resume if you have one.
Participants must be age 17 or older unless otherwise stated on cast list.