Milwaukee Rep to Present AN ILLIAD, Begin. 2/25
Milwaukee Repertory Theater continues its 2013/14 60th Anniversary Season with a production of An Iliad, a modern adaptation of Homer's classic. Described as "pure theater: shocking, glorious, primal, and deeply satisfying," by Time Out New York, An Iliad features Wisconsin-based actor James DeVita and cellist Alicia Storin, a native of Mequon, Wisconsin. Written by Lisa Peterson and Denis O'Hare, An Iliad will be directed by John Langs, who returns to The Rep after directing I Am My Own Wife during the 2010/11 Season.
An ancient tale comes roaring back to life in a compelling new telling filled with contemporary wit and wisdom. The clash of swords and shields, the broken hearts and broken oaths, the bonds of friendship and family - An Iliad races through time to become breathtakingly relevant today. An Iliad runs in The Rep's Quadracci Powerhouse from February 25 - March 23 and opens Friday, February 28. The Executive Producers for this production are James E. and Mary K. Braza and the Associate Producers are Warren and Wendy Blumenthal. James DeVita's performance is sponsored by Donna and Tony Meyer.
"This spellbinding new play - drawn from thousands-of-years-old, razor-sharp source material that still packs a massive punch - is a glove fit for the wonderful and charismatic James DeVita," says Artistic Director Mark Clements. "He's the kind of performer who can conquer a one-man retelling of a vast, classic story and fill the Quadracci Powerhouse stage with only the aid of one incredible musician. A theatrical event truly not to be missed!"
"The play has given artists and audiences alike the space to come together and try to figure out why year after year and century after century mankind has been drawn to make war," added Director John Langs. "This is a unique communal experience that draws you in from the first line and has the power to take your breath away. It is a play full of powerful secrets and one you will be thinking about long after you leave the theater."
Milwaukee Rep will host a series of special events and programs around An Iliad:
- Rep In Depth - get an insider's look at the production from Assistant Director Emily Penick with a discussion that begins 45 minutes prior to every performance.
- TalkBacks - Thursday, March 6, 13 and 20 - join members of the cast after the show for a Q & A moderated by a member of The Rep's Artistic Staff.
- Powerhouse PowerHour Thursday, February 27, 6pm - young professionals join together to enjoy complimentary appetizers and free beer provided by Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery with live music by Peter D'Amore. Sponsored in part by 88Nine. Tickets to the show and social hour are just $20. For more information go to: www.Milwaukeerep.com/powerhour/.
· Lunch Matinee, March 19, 11:45pm - enjoy lunch and a conversation about An Iliad at the InterContinental Milwaukee. The cost is $15 per person and reservations are required. Please RSVP to email@example.com or 414-291-4790.
Milwaukee Rep offers the following Access Services for An Iliad:
· Audio-Description Performance, Tuesday, March 4, 6:30pm - the production will be Audio-Described for patrons who are blind or have low vision.
· American Sign Language Interpreted Performance, Thursday, March 20, 7:30pm - the production will be signed for patrons who are deaf or have low hearing.
· Captioned Theater Performance, Sunday, March 23, 2pm - the production will include captions.
Tickets for An Iliad begin at $20.00. Single Tickets for all of Milwaukee Repertory Theater's 2013/14 productions are now on sale and can be purchased online 24/7 at www.MilwaukeeRep.com, through The Rep's Ticket Office by calling 414-224-9490 or in person at 108 E. Wells Street. Group tickets are also available for purchase by calling Group Sales Manager Joy Surber at 414-290-5340.