TUTS to Welcome THE WIZARD OF OZ National Tour, March 4-16
Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS) has announced that the first North American tour of the new stage adaptation of The Wizard of Oz will play March 4 - 16 at Hobby Center's Sarofim Hall. Click your heels together and join Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, Dorothy and her little dog Toto, as they journey through the magical land of Oz to meet the Wizard and obtain their hearts' desires. Watch out for the Wicked Witch of the West and her winged monkeys as you rediscover the real story of Oz in this fantastic musical treat for the whole family.
Back in a way that is bigger and better than ever before, The Wizard of Oz features four new songs by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber as well as new special effects and a stunning set. In addition to the magical story and fun-filled music, audiences will be dazzled with another special treat - the costumes are made with Swarovski Elements.
Starring Danielle Wade as Dorothy, who was chosen by the Canadian public through CBC TV's reality show "Over The Rainbow," the tour of The Wizard of Oz is an enchanting adaptation of the all-time classic. Developed from the ever popular MGM screenplay, this new production contains all the beloved Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg songs from the Oscar-winning movie score, all the favorite characters and iconic moments, plus a few surprises along the way.
The national tour of The Wizard of Oz will feature the same award-winning creative team from London and Toronto: Jeremy Sams (direction), Robert Jones (set and costume design), Arlene Phillips (choreography), Hugh Vanstone (lighting design), Mick Potter (sound design), Jon Driscoll (video/projection design), David Cullen (orchestrations) and Graham Hurman (musical supervision). Dorothy's favorite furry friend Toto has been trained by renowned animal specialist William Berloni.
TUTS will offer several special events in conjunction with the show to make for an unforgettable musical experience:
- The Wizard of Oz Film Screening - Monday, February 24
- Join TUTS for a FREE screening of the film that started it all, The Wizard of Oz (starring Judy Garland) at Sundance Cinemas, located at downtown Houston's Bayou Place. Space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- OUT@TUTS post-show cast party: Thursday, March 6
- A post-show, cabaret-style event at Artista Restaurant for TUTS' GLBT friends. Visit TUTS.com/OUT for more information.
- VIP "Over The Rainbow" Pre-show event: Sunday, March 9
- Theatre Under The Stars invites you to journey over the rainbow and into the land of Oz for a magical evening of fun. Join your friends for enchanting treats as you make your way to the Emerald City to see the Wizard, and delight in the fun as you take photos with the iconic characters. There's no place like TUTS, so whether you're a good witch or a bad witch - there's always an adventure waiting Over the Rainbow! After the event, enjoy VIP seating at The Wizard of Oz. Visit TUTS.com/Events for tickets.
- Culture + Cuisine: Tuesday, March 4 - Sunday, March 16
- Make it the perfect night with a delicious dinner before the show. Options for the Culture + Cuisine packages include *17 Restaurant in the Sam Houston Hotel, Damian's Cusina Italiana, Hard Rock Café, McCormick & Schmick's, and The Houston Club in One Shell Plaza. Enjoy special pricing on a set 3 course meal followed by an orchestra level seat. A shuttle is available on request to travel between the partner restaurants and Hobby Center. These dinner packages are available in conjunction with all evening performances. For more information or to purchase a dinner package, visit TUTS.com/CultureCuisine or call the box office at 713-558-8887.
Tickets (starting at only $24) are available on-line at TUTS.com, by phone at (713) 558-TUTS (8887), outside the Houston area at (888) 558-3882, or in person at the Theatre Under The Stars Box Office, located at 800 Bagby at Walker, Monday - Friday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., and Saturday - Sunday 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. An audio described performance is available Sunday, March 16 at 2 p.m.; open captioning is available Sunday, March 16 at 7:30 p.m. Hobby Center is wheelchair accessible. Discounts are available for groups of 15 or more. Group tickets may be purchased by calling (713) 558-8888 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS) is Houston's acclaimed nonprofit musical theatre company whose mission is to enrich life through the experience of quality musical theatre and to positively impact lives beyond the stage through innovative education and community engagement programs. TUTS performs annually in Sarofim Hall and Zilkha Hall at the Hobby Center and at Miller Outdoor Theatre. TUTS was the first theatrical organization in Houston to perform free to the public when it was founded in 1968 at Miller Outdoor Theatre in Hermann Park and is the only Houston arts organization that has performed there free to the public every year since the theatre opened. Founded by Frank M. Young and currently under the direction of President and CEO John C. Breckenridge and Artistic Director Bruce Lumpkin, TUTS has produced more than 300 musicals including many local, national and world. Through its membership in the Independent Presenters Network, TUTS regularly helps mount shows on Broadway which eventually show locally to Houston audiences.
In support of TUTS' mission, TUTS' Education & Community Engagement programs provide year-round instruction and stage experience. The Humphreys School of Musical Theatre (HSMT) offers technique-driven classes for all ability levels and ages. Through The River Performing and Visual Arts Center (The River), TUTS provides an accessible and inclusive arts education for individuals of all abilities. TUTS Education & Community Engagement provides extended on-site programming as well as off-site programming for children in schools, hospitals and other community-based sites. TUTS also annually presents the Tommy Tune Awards, honoring the best and brightest in Houston's high school musical theatre programs.