TUTS to Welcome THE WIZARD OF OZ National Tour, March 4-16
Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS) has announced that the first North American tour of the new stage adaptation of The Wizard of Oz will play March 4 - 16 at Hobby Center's Sarofim Hall. Click your heels together and join Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, Dorothy and her little dog Toto, as they journey through the magical land of Oz to meet the Wizard and obtain their hearts' desires. Watch out for the Wicked Witch of the West and her winged monkeys as you rediscover the real story of Oz in this fantastic musical treat for the whole family.
Back in a way that is bigger and better than ever before, The Wizard of Oz features four new songs by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber as well as new special effects and a stunning set. In addition to the magical story and fun-filled music, audiences will be dazzled with another special treat - the costumes are made with Swarovski Elements.
Starring Danielle Wade as Dorothy, who was chosen by the Canadian public through CBC TV's reality show "Over The Rainbow," the tour of The Wizard of Oz is an enchanting adaptation of the all-time classic. Developed from the ever popular MGM screenplay, this new production contains all the beloved Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg songs from the Oscar-winning movie score, all the favorite characters and iconic moments, plus a few surprises along the way.
The national tour of The Wizard of Oz will feature the same award-winning creative team from London and Toronto: Jeremy Sams (direction), Robert Jones (set and costume design), Arlene Phillips (choreography), Hugh Vanstone (lighting design), Mick Potter (sound design), Jon Driscoll (video/projection design), David Cullen (orchestrations) and Graham Hurman (musical supervision). Dorothy's favorite furry friend Toto has been trained by renowned animal specialist William Berloni.
TUTS will offer several special events in conjunction with the show to make for an unforgettable musical experience:
- The Wizard of Oz Film Screening - Monday, February 24
- Join TUTS for a FREE screening of the film that started it all, The Wizard of Oz (starring Judy Garland) at Sundance Cinemas, located at downtown Houston's Bayou Place. Space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- OUT@TUTS post-show cast party: Thursday, March 6
- A post-show, cabaret-style event at Artista Restaurant for TUTS' GLBT friends. Visit TUTS.com/OUT for more information.
- VIP "Over The Rainbow" Pre-show event: Sunday, March 9
- Theatre Under The Stars invites you to journey over the rainbow and into the land of Oz for a magical evening of fun. Join your friends for enchanting treats as you make your way to the Emerald City to see the Wizard, and delight in the fun as you take photos with the iconic characters. There's no place like TUTS, so whether you're a good witch or a bad witch - there's always an adventure waiting Over the Rainbow! After the event, enjoy VIP seating at The Wizard of Oz. Visit TUTS.com/Events for tickets.
- Culture + Cuisine: Tuesday, March 4 - Sunday, March 16
- Make it the perfect night with a delicious dinner before the show. Options for the Culture + Cuisine packages include *17 Restaurant in the Sam Houston Hotel, Damian's Cusina Italiana, Hard Rock Café, McCormick & Schmick's, and The Houston Club in One Shell Plaza. Enjoy special pricing on a set 3 course meal followed by an orchestra level seat. A shuttle is available on request to travel between the partner restaurants and Hobby Center. These dinner packages are available in conjunction with all evening performances. For more information or to purchase a dinner package, visit TUTS.com/CultureCuisine or call the box office at 713-558-8887.