Page:

What Can Be Nominated For Next Years Oliviers?

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just thought I would try and decipher what will be eligible at next years Olivier Awards, I have done best play/musical/musical revival/play revival.

No doubt I have got some wrong and missed some, that is where you can help me out?

Just to point out very politely at this early stage, I would like to sort out the categories below for now, then perhaps if all goes well we can move on to acting and creative, then who should be nominated the n who should win the holy grail.

Best Musical
The Bodyguard
Viva Forever
Loserville
Let It Be
Soul Sister
Once
Book of Mormon
American Idiot
Soho Cinders

Best Musical Revival
Ragtime
Sweeney Todd
Scrooge - The Musical
Cabaret
A Chorus Line
Taboo
Kiss Me, Kate
The Mystery Of Edwin Drood
Top Hat
Merrily We Roll Along
Spamalot
Carousel

Best Play
Travelling Light
The Kings Speech
Detroit (National
South Downs/ The Browning Version
Abigail's Party
Moon On A Rainbow Shawl (National)
Posh
Gatz
The Last of the Haussmans
Chariots of Fire
Jumpy
Our Boys
Quartermine's Terms
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (National)
Damned By Despair (National)
This House (National)
The People (National)
Antigone (National)

Best Play Revival
Absent Friends
Juno and the Paycock
Hay Fever
The Recruitment Officer
She Stoops To Conquer
The Duchess of Malfi
What The Butler Saw
Long Days Journey Into Night
The Sunshine Boys
Torch Song Trilogy
A Doll's House
Three Sisters
A Midnight Summers Dream (Open Air)
Hedda Gabba
Charley's Aunt
A Chorus of Dissapproval
Much Ado About Nothing (Noel Coward)
Richard III (Apollo)
Twelve Night (Apollo)
Uncle Vanya (Vaudeville)
Uncle Vanya (Noel Coward)
Timeon of Athens (National)
The Magistrate (National)
Comedy Of Errors (National)

MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Best Musical
The Bodyguard
Viva Forever
Loserville
Let It Be
Soul Sister

(Once and Book of Mormon are after the deadline, I don't think American Idiot or Soho Cinders are/will be on the west end, technically)

Best Musical Revival
Ragtime
Sweeney Todd
Scrooge - The Musical
Cabaret
Kiss Me, Kate
Spamalot
Carousel
Seussical

(Top Hat's never been onstage before, A Chorus Line will miss the deadline and Taboo and Merrily aren't technically west end, are they? Also added Seussical)

Best Play
Travelling Light
The Kings Speech
Detroit (National
Posh
Gatz
Chariots of Fire
Jumpy
Our Boys
This House (National)
The People (National)
Antigone (National)

(Abigail's Party and Quartermaine's terms are revivals)

Best Play Revival
Absent Friends
Juno and the Paycock
Hay Fever
The Recruitment Officer
She Stoops To Conquer
The Duchess of Malfi
What The Butler Saw
Long Day's Journey Into Night
The Sunshine Boys
A Doll's House
Three Sisters
A Midsummer Night's Dream (Open Air)
Hedda Gabbler
A Chorus of Dissapproval
Richard III (Apollo)
Twelfth Night (Apollo)
Uncle Vanya (Vaudeville)
Abigail's Party
Quartermaine's Terms

(The Menier plays don't count again, as they aren't west end)
Updated On: 10/12/12 at 06:21 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's a pretty comprehensive list! Just a few things occur to me at first glance:

I think the cut-off date for Olivier eligibility is around March 5, which means Once and Book Of Mormon will not be eligible until the following year.

American Idiot is a tour production, not West end - so won't be eligible.

Soho Cinders played a Fringe venue, not West End, so - unless it transfers - won't be eligible. (Sadly - coz it's the best new musical I've seen in London for years!)

Taboo & Merrily are also in Fringe venues, so not eligible for Oliviers.

Top Hat is a new show, not a revival.

The other things that occurred to me were that quality eligible new musicals are very thin off the ground and in the revival category, the opposite is the case and there are a number of major contenders.

THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie***** What's It All About?***** New Beginnings, No More Thought Of Darkness**** Fully Committed (Edinburgh)***** Sunshine On Leith (Edinburgh)*** Cleansed (Edinburgh)**** Under The Ground (Edinburgh)*** The Bakewell Bake Off (Edinburgh)**** Confessional (Edinburgh)**** Urinetown (Edinburgh)*** Departures (Edinburgh)*** The Spitfire Grill ***** Aliens Love Underpants**** Pinocchio**** Prodigy***** Oliver! (Watermill)**** Kinky Boots**** Grand Hotel***** Ceili O'Connor: The Understudy - Waiting In The Wings*****
Updated On: 10/12/12 at 06:31 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for the help, I just stuck up there what I could think of, or what I had seen, knowing some would be wrong, which adds more the discussion, I forgot to list anything the Donmar except The Recruitment Officer and Royal Court are these two eligible?

To know what is eligible, we need to understand what is meant by the term West End? Broadway has a crystal clear definition.
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Drood was revived? When?
I would think best revival would be a toss between Sweeney and Kiss Me Kate. Best musical I hope they give it to either Viva Forever or Bodyguard. Might as well give it to something that will be running at that time.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Drood was revived? When?"

Drood was staged at the LandorTtheatre in April, then transferred to the West End venue, The Arts Theatre, for a short run (May 22 to June 17).

I saw it at the Landor and it was brilliant!
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie***** What's It All About?***** New Beginnings, No More Thought Of Darkness**** Fully Committed (Edinburgh)***** Sunshine On Leith (Edinburgh)*** Cleansed (Edinburgh)**** Under The Ground (Edinburgh)*** The Bakewell Bake Off (Edinburgh)**** Confessional (Edinburgh)**** Urinetown (Edinburgh)*** Departures (Edinburgh)*** The Spitfire Grill ***** Aliens Love Underpants**** Pinocchio**** Prodigy***** Oliver! (Watermill)**** Kinky Boots**** Grand Hotel***** Ceili O'Connor: The Understudy - Waiting In The Wings*****
Bob30 Profile PhotoBob30 Profile Photo
Bob30
Stand-by
Stand-by
I think Sweeney will easily nab the Olivier fro Revival, along with Michael and Imelda for best actor/actress. It had unanimous Praise from critics, and many reviews of Kiss Me Kate compared it to Sweeney, saying it was still a great show but didnt exceed the bar Sweeney had set.
Westend: Lion King,WWRY, Blood Brothers, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Woman In Black, Crazy For You, Wicked, Sweeney Todd, Much Ado About Nothing, A Chorus Line, Book Of Mormon, Merrily We Roll Along, Cripple of Inishmaan
Tours: Avenue Qx2, Grease, Sister Act,WWRY,Hairsprayx2, Never Forget, Blood Brothers x2, Singin' in the Rain, Legally Blonde,American Idiot x2, Phantom of the Opera, Beautiful Burnout, Our Countrys Good, The Ladykillers, Joseph,9-5, Rocky Horror, CATS
Regional: She Loves Me, Sweeney Todd, Kiss Me Kate, The Pajama Game, Barnum (Chichester) Metamorphosis (Lyric Hammersmith)Tristan and Yseult (Bristol Old Vic)
Tickets: Nevilles Island, Much Ado About Nothing
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree Sweeney is probably the favourite for Best Revival. But I have to confess that, though it was very very good (and the piece itself is a genuine masterpiece), this production did not exactly blow me away. Imelda and Michael were excellent but some of the others in the cast were a bit "ordinary" to say the least. And the overall production did not compare to other productions of Sweeney that I've seen (it did not come close to having the same powerful impact that John Doyle's production had IMO - that one really did blow me away when I saw it in London and in New York).

I've not seen Kiss Me Kate yet, so can't comment on that - but really looking forward to eventually seeing it!

Also need to remember that the award for Best Revival is about the PRODUCTION, not the piece itself. For example, one could never rate a show like Spamalot as a better musical than Sweeney Todd. But it has genuine credentials to be considered for a Best Revival award - this production was BETTER than the original!
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If Sweeney Todd doesn't pick up a load of awards I'll be stunned.

As for others we still have a few new productions to come before knowning what the leading contenders will be
FireFingers Profile PhotoFireFingers Profile Photo
FireFingers
Stand-by
Stand-by
I believe it has something to do with the being a member of the society of London theatre, but I'm not sure.
zyx987 Profile Photozyx987 Profile Photo
zyx987
Stand-by
Stand-by
Is 13 eligible for best musical? Certainly one of the best musicals I saw this year.
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
^ No, at the very least I didn't have 30 performances
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I didn't know that a show had to play 30 shows to be eligible fot the Oliviers, so this would also rule out very thankfully 'Soul Sister'.

Bob echo's my sentiments that Best musical is very thin this year and the opposite is true with revivals, I also agree with Soho Cinders which was a great musical and also big shame American Idiot won't be eligible, as the show is totally brilliant, so American Idiot and Soho Cinders would do wonders to a otherwise bland benal category.

So here is how I now see next years awards:

Best Musical
The Bodyguard
Viva Forever
Loserville
Let It Be
Soul Sister Not enough performances
Once After the cut off date
Book of Mormon After the cut off date.
American Idiot Hammersmith not classified as a West End veue, shame as the be best musical out there maybe?
Soho Cinders Soho theatre, is not a West End venue.
Top Hat Elevated from bst revival.

Best Musical Revival
Ragtime
Sweeney Todd
Scrooge - The Musical
Cabaret
A Chorus Line Starts after the cut off date.
Taboo Venue not eligible for the Oliviers
Kiss Me, Kate
Top Hat Elevated to Best Musical
Merrily We Roll Along Venue not eligible for the Oliviers
Spamalot
Carousel

Best Play
Travelling Light
The Kings Speech
Detroit (National)
Abigail's Party Moved to revival
Posh
Gatz
Chariots of Fire
Jumpy
Our Boys
Quartermine's Terms Moved to Revival
This House (National)
The People (National)
Antigone (National)

Best Play Revival
Absent Friends
Juno and the Paycock
Hay Fever
The Recruitment Officer
She Stoops To Conquer
The Duchess of Malfi
What The Butler Saw
Long Days Journey Into Night
The Sunshine Boys
Torch Song Trilogy
A Doll's House
Three Sisters
A Midnight Summers Dream (Open Air)
Hedda Gabba
Charley's Aunt
A Chorus of Dissapproval
Richard III (Apollo)
Twelve Night (Apollo)
Uncle Vanya (Vaudeville)
Quartermine Terms
Abigails Party

Updated On: 2/10/13 at 12:40 PM
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I really hope Hattie Morahan gets recognised for her performance in A Doll's House at the Young Vic this summer. Her performance was one of the best I've seen on stage in years. She must be up for best actress
patsy3
Swing
Swing
A production does not have to play for 30 performances to qualify for Olivier Award nomination. There is no minimum requirement.

To be nominated a production has to play in a SOLT (Society Of London Theatre) member theatre. Although in the West End productions at the Arts Theatre do not qualify as it is not a SOLT theatre.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Our Boys is a revival.
Jumpy was nominated last year.
Constellations will transfer the duke of yorks after Jumpy, will it be eligible? It was at the royal court in january.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How do we now see the Olivier awards shaping up next month?
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What a thoroughly depressing year for Best Musical....

But then I recall all the wonderful musicals that were staged last year at the Union, Southwark Playhouse and Landor. Most were US shows getting their London premiere but in tiny venues. While none eligible for Oliviers - I think 2012 was the year the fringe trumped the West End.

If only American Idiot were eligible. Loved that. I guess I would give it to Looserville. While it had its flaws, there was so much heart.
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I really dont think Michael Ball deserves Best Actor, his Sweeney was ok but he was still too Michael Ball ish. But it was a weak year for actors in musicals so he will probably get it. Imelda was stunning and no one comes close as Best ACTRESS in a musical
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I actually thought Ball's Sweeney was a total transformation and far more deserving than his performance in Hairspray.

I think Sheridan Smith should still be considered a contender, not least because she seems to be on a roll with winning Oliviers.

Loserville winning best musical wouldn't be the WORST thing in the world, it just represents a new type of musical, perhaps for the younger generation of theatregoers, and it was still clever and innovative in its own way.

Chorus Line is also great but has little merit as a revival seeing as it's a carbon copy production so Sweeney should still win Best Revival (the open air theatre lost it this year, sadly).

If Imelda doesn't win, I may emmigrate.
AshleyAdam19
Swing
Swing
Imelda MUST win for Best Actress, she was phenomenal when I saw her in Sweeney. If she doesn't then i'm not going to be impressed!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The fact that Taboo and American Idiot can't be nominated is depressing, none of the other new musicals are worth bothering with.

A Chorus Line for Revival (since Taboo can't win)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Loserville definitely deserves best musical, though it may go to The Bodyguard (everyone seems to be loving it for some insane reason).

Updated On: 2/9/13 at 10:11 PM
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i didnt mind bodyguatd, nothing special but its not a bad show. i especially love how poorly the role of Frank is written its the male equivalent of a female being told to just stand there and look pretty except he just haa to look serious and solid
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I love A chorus line as much as the next person, but what merit does it have in terms of being a revival?
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The best play list needs to includes Constellations which I would've thought has an excellent chance of winning in that category

Updated On: 2/10/13 at 09:10 AM

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to:
🔀CONNECTICUT SHOWS
I Left My Heart: A Salute to the Music of Tony Bennett in ConnecticutI Left My Heart: A Salute to the Music of Tony Bennett
(Runs 7/24 - 9/5) CAST
Dorothy Bishop's Dorothy Bishop's "The Dozen Divas"
(Runs 9/12 - 9/12)
Chazz Palminteri: A Bronx Tale in ConnecticutChazz Palminteri: A Bronx Tale
(Runs 9/18 - 9/18)
Tick Tick Boom
(Runs 9/11 - 9/20)
42nd Street in Connecticut42nd Street
(Runs 10/9 - 10/10)
MEMPHIS
(Runs 9/25 - 10/10)
Memphis  in ConnecticutMemphis