TV One to Premiere ARETHA: FRANKLY SPEAKING to Celebrate Black History Month
In recognition of Black Music Month, TV One will roll out a special programming slate of new specials, original factual series, original reality series, movies and performance specials this June. The programming will be anchored by the premiere of the biographical special Aretha: Frankly Speaking and HelloBeautiful Interludes Live: Trey Songz on Saturday, June 21. Additionally, other new episodes of HelloBeautiful Interludes Live will air throughout the month.
Remarked D'Angela Proctor, SVP Programming and Production, TV One, "From the R&B Divas franchise, to award-winning series UnSung and specials such as HelloBeautiful Interludes Live, music and performance is at the core of so many of TV One's most popular programs. Our viewers thrive on getting a behind-the-scenes glance at the lives of their favorite stars past and present, and we are looking to provide even more of the programming they love this Black Music Month."
Aretha: Frankly Speaking, premiering June 21 at 8:00 PM/ET, chronicles the professional and personal life of one of the most revered singers of all time. While Franklin's music topped the charts and became the soundtrack of American culture, she struggled with the reality of being a teen mom, losing her father to a violent home invasion and two failed marriages. Through rarely seen videos and photos, viewers get an insider perspective on the powerful impact Franklin had during the civil rights movement, the women's movement and her influence on Martin Luther King Jr. The one-hour special also features exclusive behind-the-scenes stories of iconic songs like "Respect," "Natural Woman," "Precious Lord" and "Pink Cadillac" as told through Franklin's trusted inner circle, her musical team, and her very own words.
HelloBeautiful Interludes Live: Trey Songz, premiering June 21 at 10:00 PM/ET, will treat viewers to an exclusive performance with Trey Songz from Greystone Manor in Los Angeles. The one-hour special is an intimate, one-of-a-kind performance and interview series showcasing unique in-person performances by some of music's leading artists. Previously profiled artists include John Legend, Alicia Keys and Toni Braxton & Babyface. The series offers private, unscripted conversations about each artist's life, career and relationships as well as the most meaningful "interludes" of his or her life. HelloBeautiful Interludes Live is hosted by Interactive One's Chief Content Officer, Smokey D. Fontaine.
Additional Black Music Month programming includes:
· Lady Sings the Blues Airs Saturday, June 7 at 8:00 PM/ET
· The Temptations Airs Sunday, June 8 at 11:00 AM/ET (Part 1) and 1:00 PM/ET (Part 2)
· UnSung Sunday, June 8 beginning at 3:00 PM/ET, TV One will air a mini-marathon of the acclaimed music biography series.
· HelloBeautiful Interludes Live: John Legend Airs Saturday June 14 at 10:00 PM/ET
· Why Do Fools Fall in Love Airs Saturday, June 14 at 8:00 PM/ET
· Mahogany Airs Sunday, June 15 at 4:00 PM/ET
· HelloBeautiful Interludes Live: Toni Braxton and Babyface Airs Sunday, June 15 at 6:00 PM/ET
· Michael Jackson 30th Anniversary Celebration Airs Sunday, June 22 at 2:00 PM/ET
· Tupac Resurrection Airs Sunday, June 22 at 4:00 PM/ET
· R&B Divas Atlanta New episodes air Wednesdays at 10:00 PM/ET leading up to the season finale on June 25. Viewers can catch a marathon of the third season on Sunday, June 29 beginning at 11:00 AM/ET in advance of the two-part reunion special.
About TV ONE:
Launched in January 2004, TV One (www.tvone.tv) serves more than 57.3 million households, offering a broad range of real-life and entertainment-focused original programming, classic series, movies and music designed to entertain, inform and inspire a diverse audience of adult Black viewers. In December 2008, the company launched TV One High Def, which now serves 14 million households. TV One is owned by Radio One (NASDAQ: ROIA and ROIAK, www.radio-one.com), the largest radio company that primarily targets Black and urban listeners, and Comcast Corporation [NASDAQ: CMCSA, CMCSK), www.comcast.com), one of the nation's leading providers of entertainment, information and communications products and services.