Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra Announces 2014 NEIGHBORHOOD CONCERT SERIES
Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra announces its 2014 Neighborhood Concert Series, a series of performances by MYSO's high quality student ensembles, held at the Milwaukee Youth Arts Center, 325 West Walnut Street, Milwaukee. Traditionally geared toward school children, this series has allowed students from City schools with limited arts programming to gain critically important exposure to music.
These concerts are free and open to the public; seating is limited and reservations must be made in advance. Call 414-267-2949 for reservations.
The schedule for the Neighborhood Concert Series is below. Unless indicated, performances begin at 10:00 a.m. and are one hour in length.
- Friday, February 7 (at 10:00am and 12:30pm)--Calypso and Soca, Caribbean steel drum bands comprised of middle and high school students
- Tuesday, February 11--Philharmonia, a full symphony orchestra comprised of mostly high school age musicians
- Tuesday, February 18--Chamber Flute Ensemble, a high school ensemble comprised of the entire flute family
- Wednesday, February 19 (at 10:00am and 12:30pm)--MYSO's Bronzeville and Latin Jazz Combos, middle/high school-aged performers from MYSO's Jazz Studies program
- Thursday, February 20--Chamber Orchestra, an orchestra comprised of the most accomplished MYSO students
- Friday, February 21--Sinfonia, a middle school aged grade string orchestra; performance features a world premiere of a student composition and concerto competition winner as featured soloist
- Friday, February 28--Junior Wind Ensemble, an advanced sixth through ninth grade band with woodwind, brass and percussion
- Wednesday, March 26--String Orchestra, a fourth through seventh grade string orchestra; featuring the winner of the concerto competition as soloist
- Friday, May 2--Flute Chorale, a sixth through ninth grade ensemble comprised of the entire flute family
- Friday, May 9 (at 10:00am and 12:30pm)--Calypso and Soca, Caribbean steel drum bands comprised of middle and high school students
- Wednesday, May 14--String Orchestra, a fourth through seventh grade string orchestra, featuring a world premiere student composition.
Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra (MYSO) is one of the most successful and respected youth orchestra programs in the nation, regularly recognized regionally, nationally and internationally for its artistic excellence. With nearly 1,000 young musicians ages 8-18 from as many as 14 counties, 60 communities and 200 schools throughout southeastern Wisconsin and northern Illinois participating in MYSO's many music training programs, it has become one of the largest organizations of its kind in the United States.
Instrumental in changing lives, MYSO's programs foster critical thinking skills, creativity and collaboration through more than 25 ensemble options, ranging from symphony and string orchestras, to jazz and steel pan bands, all providing high quality musical experiences to students at various skill levels.
For more information, visit www.myso.org.
More On: Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra, Neighborhood Concert Series, Milwaukee Youth Arts Center