Illegal Filming

SomeOtherMe
Understudy
"If/Then" to be filmed?
Posted: 5/6/14 at 10:07am
Does anyone think this would be a good idea? Being as how Idina is the main selling point of the show, I'd imagine it may be a good way to preserve her performance and have all her new fans who can't make it out to see the show.
gleek4114
Broadway Star
"If/Then" to be Filmed?
Posted: 5/6/14 at 10:31am
Maybe but I doubt it.
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
"If/Then" to be Filmed?
Posted: 5/6/14 at 10:39am
The show is being filmed by fans in the mezzanine. It may not be legal but a filmed version does already exist.

It would be great to film it after it closes.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 10:49am
You mean people illegally film the show?

I thought that was against the law. Wink Wink Nudge Nudge
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
SomeOtherMe
Understudy
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 10:53am
Haha. No no, I mean an official, professionally filmed version.
Adair Haywind
Stand-by
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 11:09am
Like most shows, I really don't see this happening other than for archival purposes.
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 11:24am
"You mean people illegally film the show?

I thought that was against the law. Wink Wink Nudge Nudge"

Nothing can hold back the Idina fans.
brdway411
Broadway Star
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 11:26am
I looked into this a while ago. Most shows are filmed for the NYC Public Library Performing Arts Library at Lincoln Center. Not sure how they do it. If it is multiple cameras or just the stationary one most theaters have. If you are a student or in the theater you can set up an appointment to screen the films (tapes,DVDs, not sure what format they use). There is a list of stuff available on the website, but the last time I tried to see the list, it was not working properly. I did search for Big Fish (stage version) and they have that on film. Also, a friend of mine was the dance captain for a few shows said they do tape shows so that the replacement actors can watch and learn the staging and blocking and choreography, which cuts down on the time needed for extra rehearsals. Again not sure if the films they use for this purpose are full productions or just films of rehearsals.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 11:49am
"If/Then to be filmed?" implies you are looking for confirmation of into you already have.

Do you mean "Should If/Then Be Filmed"?
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 12:01pm
Not sure how they do it. If it is multiple cameras or just the stationary one most theaters have.
It's usually multiple cameras, depending on the budget. House camera recordings are often made, but don't generally get archived at Lincoln Center.

If you are a student or in the theater you can set up an appointment to screen the films (tapes,DVDs, not sure what format they use).
ANYONE, with a legitimate-sounding research reason, can view them.
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 12:01pm
Double post.

Updated On: 5/6/14 at 12:01 PM
brdway411
Broadway Star
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 12:02pm
Thanks for the 411. I have always wanted to do this, but was afraid to try. I missed some shows awhile back and would kill to see them.
Kad
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 12:15pm
If they film it, then I doubt they'll make money on it.
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 01:21pm
There is something magical about knowing that only X number of people who went to the Richard Rodgers theater for X years, X months, and X days got to experience If/Then live. That the cast, crew, orchestra, ushers, and audience came from all over to meet in this one moment in time and experience a performance that was similar but different to every other performance of the show.

As for those who aren't (or in the future, weren't) able to see it? They will be able to see regional versions, touring versions, revivals, see old performance footage, press photos, (**cough*audience bootlegs*cough**)and listen to the cast recording, and through all of those things, they will also construct a unique version of what it was like to see it live.

That seems like a pretty good system.
formerly oasisjeff on here.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 01:48pm
I don't know how they chose want gets filmed (Memphis, Rent, Shrek) but I wish they would do it more often. I don't think it will happen with this one though, for the reason Kad stated.

"As for those who aren't (or in the future, weren't) able to see it? They will be able to see regional versions, touring versions, revivals, see old performance footage, press photos, (**cough*audience bootlegs*cough**)and listen to the cast recording, and through all of those things, they will also construct a unique version of what it was like to see it live."

That's a really great way of looking at it. I never saw Next To Normal on Broadway, but listening to the recording and seeing a regional performance of it gave me a sense of what it was like on Broadway. Can't replace that cast though. Sigh.
nomore.org
brdway411
Broadway Star
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 02:00pm
N2N is one of my favorite shows. I was glad to see it early in the run and know nothing about it before going in. It was a total surprise.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 02:02pm
Horribly jealous ^^
nomore.org
James885
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 02:47pm
I don't know how they chose want gets filmed (Memphis, Rent, Shrek) but I wish they would do it more often

There really isn't a 'they' that chooses. It's up to the producers of the show whether or not they want to spend the money to have their show professionally recorded.

It's not like there's a committee that meets and decides "we'll film Shrek and Memphis, but not Matilda and Kinky Boots" - it's up to the producers, pure and simple.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 5/6/14 at 02:47 PM
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 02:56pm
So my question is the shows that are in the archives- like Priscilla and Hairspray- are they full show or highlights?
Darreyl with an L!
neonlightsxo
Broadway Star
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 02:59pm
^ Lincoln Center archives? Full show.
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 03:04pm
Yeah, I somehow managed to go into N2N completely unaware of the story pretty late in the run and was completely shocked and amazed by it. I still try and graze preview threads here only to sort out whether to skip a train wreck. Otherwise, I rather know nothing...
MadsonMelo
Swing
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/6/14 at 11:49pm
Oh god, I didn't knew about the Lincoln Center recordings, I would love to see Carolien, or Change, but I'm not professional or something. A regular person just can't watch in any way?
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/7/14 at 12:26am
If/Then is going to be filmed!... on Thursday when they go on Letterman! Idina has an interview spot beforehand, as well...
cmorrow
Swing
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/7/14 at 06:00am
If you're interested in the Theatre on Film and Tape Archive (TOFT), i.e. the Lincoln Center video archive, they have a Wikipedia page with information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_on_Film_and_Tape_Archive_(TOFT)
candydog2
Featured Actor
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/7/14 at 12:59pm
Usually for the Lincoln Centre archives they just film it with a single camera, with the occasional bit of zooming in on the action from what I understand. I was the house manager of an off-broadway theatre when the Lincoln Centre came to film a play. It was only a small theatre so maybe they use a second camera for Broadway shows, but I don't think they do.

Anyway, the style in which they film for the library is certainly not "commercial" enough to sell on DVD.
cmorrow
Swing
Illegal Filming
Posted: 5/7/14 at 03:14pm
For Broadway tapings, TOFT uses multiple cameras; for Off-Broadway, it's usually a single camera, with zooming in and out, panning, etc. But TOFT tapes do not look like cable-friendly TV adaptations, with rapid cutting. They're still archival videos.

Page: