Printer Friendly - Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.

Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted by theaternut 2012-12-24 17:05:25

First 2 days of showings in Los Angeles thru Arclight almost sold out ( scattered singles and handicap seating is what is mostly available). Fandango reporting record breaking advance sales.

Posted by Ghostfan2 2012-12-24 17:34:22

I just got tickets for tonight.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-24 18:47:55

I know screenings for tomorrow are selling out in NYC.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-24 18:50:08

And in the end, it's selling out because it's a terrific musical. Not because of the live singing, or other hype. I feel like a proud papa, LOL.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-24 18:51:00

With Catwoman, Gladiator, and Wolverine sharing the screen, this movie is going to open big, no question.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-24 18:51:39

Well, I'm certain the a-list cast and awards season hype plays some factor...

May not be able to see it again until Wednesday, as most showings around me in NYC are sold out tonight and tomorrow.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-24 18:54:26

There's also a lack of real holiday movie fare. Although I wouldn't consider it "family fare", I would imagine families would be more willing to go to Les Mis than most other films recently released.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-24 18:58:20

Tickets still available in a lot of theatres around me. But the best ones with the best sound systems are sold out, like the ArcLight in Hollywood and Pasadena. I'd be caught dead at the local AMC, what with their tinny sound? Ick.

Posted by jpbran 2012-12-24 19:11:13

Don't forget the front-loading of ticket purchases by Broadway/Les Mis fans. Didn't "Rent" have a big-ass first day gross?

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-24 19:13:24

^ True. So did Evita. I saw it X-mas day and there was tons of buzz and excitement in the air. People shrugged their shoulders at it soon after and was forgotten.

Guess we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, hehe.

IT'LL BE A BLOCKBUSTER!!!!! XD

K, K, I'll stop.

Posted by Rainbowhigh23 2012-12-24 19:15:59

The AMC Empire has "Enhanced Theatre Experience" - 20% larger screen than usual! And only $10 for the 11AM showing tomorrow morning. Might be worth getting up early for.

Seeing Imax tonight, but it's on the smaller screen. Should be loud, though.

Posted by jpbran 2012-12-24 19:31:57

Carmike has it in some "Big D" theaters, sorta like AMC's ETE theaters. Baby IMAXes. (the Big D sound is amazing... not sure about ETE)

Posted by saisai 2012-12-24 19:35:04

Please report back with your IMAX and Enhanced Experiences screenings! I saw 2 screenings and wasn't impressed by the sound at all.

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-24 19:37:33

I think people are putting the cart before the horse. A lot of those advanced sales are from rabid fans of the musical and musical theater fans in general. It's been the most anticipated film of the year for those people, so, of course, many want to see it as soon as possible. But I've heard of walkouts already, which doesn't surprise me 'cause there were walkouts at the movie musicals I saw the past decade, even Chicago. The truth is, there are some people who just don't like musicals, who were probably dragged by significant others or were curious themselves. Despite its grand opening, it's repeated viewings and good word of mouth that will make or break Les Miz. It's too early to celebrate its supposed success.

Posted by James885 2012-12-24 20:29:48

Despite its grand opening, it's repeated viewings and good word of mouth that will make or break Les Miz.

^^ This. It'll for sure have a big opening, but next weekend's gross will be the best indicator of whether or not it has legs at the box office. That it's selling out in LA and New York is no surprise. Here in the DC area, tickets for all of tomorrow's screenings at my local suburban Regal are still available.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-24 21:13:26

I'm sure the continued awards season buzz will carry it through just fine until February/March.

And, of course, if Anne (or Hugh!) end up winning, it will be "BACK IN THEATERS" for a limited time.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-24 21:33:34

Word of mouth from audiences (not critics) will make or break the movie at the box office. The good news is that it will open big and have a solid (and perhaps even huge) opening weekend. The real gauge will be in the following 2-3 weeks. If it sustains into mid-January, you'll have a nice big hit. If it increases (like Titanic did), you'll have a blockbuster.

But the critics mean nothing here, just as they did with Titanic, and as they do with any other film as far as box office goes.

Word of mouth is the key.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-12-24 22:24:15

Is the sound loud (enough)? I heard the volume is basically set in the digital system these days, that individual theaters have little control. I remember EVITA's sound being fairly dreary, even the first day in Manhattan. I wanted to scream, "turn it up!" Never did really hear it at an exciting level (like, say, TOMMY or THE ROSE). DREAMGIRLS, which was perfection at the Zigfield, was griped about elsewhere. I wonder now how important which house is. I've been to smaller screens and heard exquisite sound (years ago, the first showing of DAYS OF HEAVEN). Size doesn't always matter. That said, I'm hitting a bigger screen in NJ tomorrow afternoon.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2012-12-25 00:10:31

Not that this is indicative of anything, but I was just looking at movie times for tomorrow (I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to see Django Unchained- although it's already sold out until the 6:30 screening) and saw that the first four screenings of Les Mis at Lincoln Square are sold out already, so the earliest available screening is at 10:30pm.

Posted by ACL2006 2012-12-25 00:43:20

most screenings in my area are sold-out for Christmas day. This should bring in a ton of money it's first week. I'll wait to see it after New Year's as I simply have no time to see it from now until after New Year's Day.

Posted by Ghostfan2 2012-12-25 01:20:50

I just saw the 10:30PM show and LOVED IT!

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-25 01:32:00

"Set to be the highest grossing movie musical of all time"? I don't know about that.

People said the same thing about DREAMGIRLS when it made a sh*tload of money in limited release and (even with phenomenal word of mouth) it opened wide softly, yet respectably.

Although movies that open during the holidays have high multiples, LES MIZ is hardly a guaranteed box office juggernaut. I imagine it will do well at the box office, but I really don't think we can say it is on track to be the highest grossing movie musical of all time, based on presale, before it has even opened. Definitely a little premature....

Posted by CHOOKA2 2012-12-25 01:33:52

The fans of the music should enjoy it but for those with a critical eye,and who are honest!-there are just too many things wrong with this film that it is like a tsunami sweeping all in its path--what you are left with is--did that really happen?and why?
Yes-it will do well at the box office but only because it is Les Mis,not for what they have now done with it.

Posted by DAME 2012-12-25 01:40:35

Chooka.. many of us disagree with you and liked or loved the film. And I think that will be a big part of why it will do well. To the poster that referred to Rent.. this property is more beloved than Rent will ever be. It has a much broader appeal. I don't mean that as a diss to rentheads. Just a fact.

Posted by winston89 2012-12-25 02:37:28

I just came home from the 10 PM showing at Lincoln Square. I really loved the movie and thought that as a movie, it was really well done. I think that the big issue with a lot of the movie musicals that have come out recently over the years is that while they may be good adaptations of the musical that they are based on, as a film in and of itself, it's not done well. The show was sold out and at first the only showing tonight was at 10. But, due to it's popularity they added one for 10:45 this evening.

Also, Les Miserables was one of those Broadway shows that tourists and casual (I'm talking one to two shows a year) local theatre goers relished in droves for sixteen years. I think that for this movie, you're going to have a lot of people who may not be interested in seeing a movie musical like Dreamgirls or Chicago, but will gladly go see something like Les Miserables just because it's Les Miserables. I know a lot of people who are very excited to see this movie but would have zero interest in seeing something like Chicago or Dreamgirls or Rent.

And, lastly, I feel that there are two shows that causal theatergoers as well as tourists eat up with glee. Those are Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera. Phantom was turned into a movie but done poorly whereas Les Miserables was turned into a movie was done amazingly well down to the last detail. I honestly think that most movie musicals don't sell beyond a niche audience of those who love that genere or love theatre. I think that because it's Les Miserables it will be a movie musical that will extend beyond that niche audience of theatre fans who love seeing their favorite musical on the big screen.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-25 02:39:26

CHOOKA2, it's cool if you don't care for Les Mis, but what do you mean that the film is like a big tsunami and leaves you with nothing? Just curious because it seems to be a pretty common thing that people who didn't like it feel they have to point out. Yet, they almost always fail to explain what this BIG wave of something is? Some critics have said of both the stage version and film that it's just too sentimental. I don't agree that the musical is sentimental, I do think the story is sad and moving and ultimately uplifting. Big difference, but that's just me.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-25 02:48:54

Winston, I'm confused by what you mean when you say most movie musicals of years past fail because they are good adaptations of the musical but they don't make good films?

A good film adaptation of a musical would also make a good film. Unless you meant that the musical material itself is polished and showcased beautifully on film but without regard to the change of medium, making many moments that worked onstage sometimes clash on film? I could see how too much focus placed on glorifying the musical stage material and leaving adaptation in the dust ruining the outcome. Some say that was the problem with The Producers, and was just wondering if that's what you meant.

Posted by Rainbowhigh23 2012-12-25 02:53:00

I can't recommend Imax enough. The picture is humungous and the sound is loud and crystal clear - it was perfect for the live singing and robust orchestrations. I got goosebumps when Look Down started, and nearly cried at the beginning of At the End of the Day, it sounded so beautiful. Watch out for the battle at the barricade, though, the gunshots are earsplitting.

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-25 02:59:26

Watch out for the battle at the barricade, though, the gunshots are earsplitting.

Like the stage show? I always hated those gunshots. The first time I nearly jumped out of my seat. I felt bad for the elderly in the audience.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-25 03:16:34

Those gunshots in the stage show never failed to make me jump out of my skin. I loved them! LOL.

Posted by CHOOKA2 2012-12-25 03:57:34

Thank you for responding to my comment My Oh My.How easy it is for us to critisise,and praise,but this is what this message board is for.Being Australian,I read with keen interest everything about Anthony Warlow in Annie and Hugh in Les Mis and feel I overdosed with Les Mis information-so much so that I stopped reading the crits.When I finally saw Les Mis-the previews,or shorts as we call them,were stronger than the whole.It would be good to hear the reasons for such strange casting,strange camera work etc.etc.Of course there were good bits,but because I found too many negatives--I felt--why did they bother?-but I'm still pleased they did.

Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-25 04:33:35

I'm surprised it hasn't been getting good critical reviews.

Posted by winston89 2012-12-25 11:34:38

My Oh My,

What you said is what I meant. Sorry for not being more clear, I was rather tired when I wrote that post and therefor didn't write it as clearly as I intended to.

What I meant to say was that a lot of movie musicals in recent years didn't translate well into film. That directors did things that would work fine onstage but would fall flat if done on screen. The producers is a good example. Another one that comes to mind (and I am sure that there others but this is the first that comes to mind) is Hairspray. I felt that having large ensemble dancing numbers is something that works great onstage but is something that doesn't work the same way when it's being filmed. It's like a soda, onstage there is fiz and it sizzles. On film, it's rather flat.

Posted by Ghostfan2 2012-12-25 12:13:56

The part with Santa made me chuckle

Posted by SporkGoddess 2012-12-25 14:37:13

I live in the epitome of Middle America, and it isn't sold out here. However, most people here would not go see a movie on Christmas day.

I'm likely seeing it tomorrow with my fiance, so I will be sure to post my thoughts afterwards.

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-12-25 15:39:38

Yeah the movie going on Christmas day thing seems common, at least to some big US cities, but is something my family's never done, nor any families I know of. Boxing Day (ie the day after Xmas for you Americans), on the other hand is a big movie day.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-25 15:46:57

I live in a college town in north central Florida, Gainesville, (so it's really empty throughout the holidays) and almost all the showtimes are sold out here today. I'll be watching it tomorrow, cannot wait.

Posted by ljay889 2012-12-25 15:51:45

I always thought it was mostly Jewish families who see movies on Christmas day.

Posted by sabrelady 2012-12-25 15:59:12

ONLY after we eat the Chinese food!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-25 16:01:10

Ray, you're a Gator?! I can tell you having spent the majority of my life in Gville, that Christmas movie going is as big there as anywhere and it's very smart to buy your tickets far in advance.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-25 16:10:37

Latin people (at least in FL, including myself) also tend to go to the movies on Christmas Day, not necessarily as a family though. We celebrate Christmas Eve, Christmas Day for us--like I said, in the FL context)--is usually more about hangovers and moviegoing.
Jordan, I am indeed a Gator. I moved here to do my undergrad and have lived here for 7 years already. I was shocked by all the movies selling out, tried watching LINCOLN the day after Thanksgiving and there were like three showings in a row sold out, had to go watch LIFE OF PIE instead, which I think eventually sold out too. I'll definitely buy my tickets in advance this time

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-25 16:11:13

Just got back from the 11:30 showing here in about as Midwest as it goes and the theater was about 1/2 full given the empty seats between people. At about the point where the new song comes in it was almost like a mini exodus and in about a 10 min period there I'd say about 15 people walked out. My husband is HUGE fan of the show and while he did like the movie even he found issue with some of the star casting and even we were inclined to leave at about the mid point. The film def pics up the pace after Red and Black but we both felt that A Little Rain Must Fall just fell flat and was very contrived. We both left liking the movie but not loving it.

Oh and while there was a line for the next showing of Les Miz the line forming for The Hobbit was INSANE long.

Posted by Iris Chacon 2012-12-25 16:33:41

Your husband is a idiot and you are a freaking whore. What else do you want me to say? Oh.. Merry Christmas.

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-25 16:36:21

Well I was a whore... then I got married

Posted by Iris Chacon 2012-12-25 16:44:12

So now you are a married whore.

Posted by broadwaybabywannabe2 2012-12-25 17:59:28

here in Palm Springs, the very first show of the day was COMPELTELY sold out!...and while many took bathroom breaks all came back to watch the stirring last 1/3 of the musical...it got rapturous applause at the ending and sobbing was heard all throughout the theatre...including me when BRING HIM HOME was sung...

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-25 18:21:31

I live in the Midwest and the first show of the day was 3/4 full, which surprised me (in a good way).

I do think the movie will open big. $40 to $60 million in the first week.

After seeing it, I don't think it will sustain for very long. It's a slow, long movie, even if it is emotional at times. Doesn't feel like a "blockbuster" to me. I think the word of mouth will be okay at best. Some will rave about it, others will say it's long and boring.

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-25 18:23:10

I guess we'll have to see what the happy medium is between sold out and half full is when the box office results come out

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-25 18:24:42

I do think the movie will open big. $40 to 560 million in the first week.

$560 million in one week?!

Posted by MCfan2 2012-12-25 18:28:15

Deadline Hollywood is saying today's grosses look like $15-20 million.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/first-box-office-1-%e2%80%98les-miserables%e2%80%99-2-django-opening-huge-on-christmas-day/

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-25 18:29:41

SM2 --- LOL!

My caps key didn't take. That should be a dollar sign, not a five. I will fix it.

EDIT: Actually, it's pretty safe to say the movie will take in somewhere between forty dollars and five hundred and sixty million dollars. I should have just left it.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-25 19:54:31

"Latin people (at least in FL, including myself) also tend to go to the movies on Christmas Day, not necessarily as a family though. We celebrate Christmas Eve, Christmas Day for us--like I said, in the FL context)--is usually more about hangovers and moviegoing."

Same here. The family all met at bro's yesterday. There was much Spanglish and champurrado to go around.

So today is for staying at home in your undies reading BWW for this Latino. No hangovers sadly. The family is no fun; they get drunk on coolers.

Posted by The Scorpion 2012-12-25 21:05:48

I'm not sure what the world record is, but in Britain, Mamma Mia holds the record I think for highest-grossing movie musical and, because of the material, I think Les Mis wouldn't have an easy time outdoing it in terms of box office numbers, despite its popularity.

However, I would relish to see this film do well. I haven't yet seen it, so can't comment on what it's like, but if it's as good as the British reviewers have been saying (the critical response in the US has been far more mixed by comparison), I hope Andrew Lloyd Webber absolutely seethes with rage and bitterness as he watches the film of the show he detested back in 1985 and called Cameron Mackintosh a "catastrophic idiot" for pursuing trounce the p*ss-poor effort of his and Joel Schumacher's 8 years ago in both critical and box-office terms.

There's no other show in terms of popularity, longevity, financial success, style and genre that is as similar to Miz as Phantom is, yet they really did royally screw up back in 2004 with the film version of the latter. Although ALW in his usual revisionism has recently begun making comments to the effect that he wasn't happy with that film (despite at the time saying he couldn't see how it could be any better), it'd be nice to hear more of the same from him in light of the Les Mis film doing well. Who knows, maybe it'll persuade someone out there to do a remake with an A-list cast who can act and sing and a director who can actually direct this time.

Posted by MCfan2 2012-12-25 21:09:10

"Who knows, maybe it'll persuade someone out there to do a remake with an A-list cast who can act and sing and a director who can actually direct this time."

From your lips (or rather, fingers) to God's ears!

Posted by JP2 2012-12-26 01:03:35

According to Deadline it received an A cinemascore. Word of mouth should be excellent.

Posted by Plum 2012-12-26 01:07:19

It seems to me that the flaws of the film echo the flaws of the musical, which have hardly stopped the latter from being a huge hit. I have my doubts about whether Les Mis will make Mamma Mia! money, but I think it'll do quite well for itself.

Posted by jo 2012-12-26 02:26:19

Update from Nikki Finke ( Deadline Hollywood) --

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/first-box-office-1-%E2%80%98les-miserables%E2%80%99-2-django-opening-huge-on-christmas-day/

>>HO HO HUGE! #1 ‘Les Misérables’ Opens To $18M And #2 ‘Django Unchained’ $14M On Xmas

By NIKKI FINKE, Editor in Chief | Tuesday December 25, 2012 @ 10:15pm PSTTags: Box Office, Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Parental Guidance

TUESDAY 10:15 PM, 3RD UPDATE: It may be Christmas Day quiet in the malls but it’s busy, busy, busy in the multiplexes around the U.S. and Canada. My sources say this turned into a supersized Christmas Day for domestic moviegoing. That’s a great year-end gift for Hollywood. Audiences repaid the favr by gving all three new wide-release movies no less than ‘A-’ scores to help their word of mouth. Leading the pack is Working Title/Universal’s Les Misérables debuting #1 in 2,808 theaters and receiving a coveted ‘A’ CinemaScore from audiences. The musical lived up to both Fandango’s and MovieTickets’ reports of huge advance online sales. (It was the #1 advance ticket-seller among all Christmas Day releases, surpassing previous record-holder Sherlock Holmes in 2009.) The studio was hoping Tom Hooper’s adaptation of the world-reknown musical would open to $10+M. Well, my insiders say today’s grosses looked like a big $15M to $20M — now more like $18M — for the PG13 film that runs 2 hours and 37 minutes and stars Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, and Russell Crowe. (Speaking of the latter, may I never again have to hear Crowe sing like a cat being strangled. I hope he lip-syncs in that rock band of his…) Of course, Christmas Day tends to have higher mix of presales, especially for the openers, so these numbers could change a lot by Wednesday and Thursday. But as one studio exec analyzes, “Christmas Day has very unique play patterns by genre, region of the country, ethnicity, and target demo. You won’t really know where films are headed until Friday. But that’s a fantastic number for Les Miz.”<<<

Big Opening Day numbers ( $ 18 million for Christmas Day alone) and a Cinemascore of "A" !!

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-12-26 02:31:23

Plum, I would agree with that, except that I do think this kinda material holds more appeal live than on film--at least with a more mainstream, less hardcore audience. But we'll see.

Scorpion, I had no idea ALW spoke out publicly against Miz, but I do agree with your take on the Phantom film--while Miz probably gets more love from critics on stage than Phantom ever has, anyway, I think people all knew not to take the movie too seriously when the director and pre-production was announced. However, while I do think the two shows are comparable as prob the top two examples of the UK based 1980s megamusical, I don't know if I find them all that comparable in terms of style and theme. Les Miz seems to come out more (its French roots notwithstanding) from the Nicholas Nickelby style of play, and isn't such an unabashed homage to operetta as Phantom.

Posted by The Scorpion 2012-12-26 06:58:27

Scorpion, I had no idea ALW spoke out publicly against Miz, but I do agree with your take on the Phantom film--while Miz probably gets more love from critics on stage than Phantom ever has, anyway, I think people all knew not to take the movie too seriously when the director and pre-production was announced

Phantom was reviewed far more favourably in Britain when it premiered and got a healthy amount of positive notices (despite ALW recently trying to dismiss the savaging by the British critics of Paint Never Dries, claiming Phantom had the same reaction, which is patently untrue). As is well known, Les Mis was widely panned by the vast majority of British critics. Frank Rich and his ALW vendetta, though, meant the New York Times had the reverse opinion. I really do think Phantom in the right hands could have been a very fine motion picture. But alas, it was given to a hack best known for derailing the Batman franchise with a cast from hell. It helps enormously that Cameron seems to care an awful lot about Les Mis, whereas ALW couldn't give two hoots about his biggest success and has demonstrated repeatedly that he has no clue as to why it's so popular.

As for ALW on Les Mis, he didn't go public but the words he used leaked out eventually and were documented.

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-26 08:34:06

With an 18mil opening it just needs to do another $170,755,690 more dollars to be the highest grossing musical here in the US....

Or another $593,135,400 if you adjust for inflation

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-26 10:23:42

LOL Yeah, no. It won't do that.

When all is said and done, I predict it will make somewhere between $100-$125 million total in the U.S. Roughly on a par with Dreamgirls, but probably not as much as Hairspray.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-26 10:32:02

And I'm sure according to the studios, that isn't enough to warrant making more musicals. Unlike the $7-8 million dollars an action movie that cost $200 million to make can take in and yet more of those are given the green light immediately.
But a mere $125 million? Not enough.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-26 11:17:02

I think because of the global awareness for Les Miz, it will do better than most recent American musical films internationally. That will help with the overall grosses.

Mamma Mia! did incredibly well abroad for the same reason. (And neither were American stage musicals originally.)

Dreamgirls, a modest box office hit in the U.S., didn't do very well at all overseas. It depends on the awareness and the subject. Les Miz has that going for it.

But I would look for a "record breaking" opening week for Les Miz, then a big drop-off during the next 2-3 weeks. And a slow crawl to the finish line. Awards will help this one, but even a win for Best Supporting Actress isn't going to generate additional tens of millions.

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-26 11:22:49

Considering the film is costing $61 million without the massive ad campaign cost or distribution cost is which brings the costs up allot it needs to bring in a bit more. These was an old formula that a movie needed to bring in 3 times its production costs to be considered a success. (this was used back I the day when I worked for a video company) that covers the costs of the different premiers world wide that stars get flown to, the ad campain and the costs of shipping prints of the film around the world as well as cover the percentage that the movie theaters take. That would mean that the movie would have to make $183mil world wide right now for it to be considered successful at the studio level. . I know that DVD sales will help as well those too have costs involved in them.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-26 11:33:49

I think it will hit that number word-wide. (Not just domestically, but all markets.)

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-26 11:36:35

Totally agree it should make back it's cost but as for being the highest grossing movie musical it might be a very tough road to get too

Posted by ashley77 2012-12-26 12:08:00

But that's $18million on opening day, not the opening weekend. That's pretty darn good for a 3 hour musical, right?

Posted by Joviedamian 2012-12-26 12:13:27

So let's see...according to box office estimates, the musical took in $17.5 million at the box office. For a movie musical I guess that is good...but I feel that a strong opening should be anywhere from 30-40 million on the first day or even weekend (let's see how the rest of the week and weekend pans out). Also, what I noticed, everyone is saying that most of the shows are all "Sold Out", and that is because there are not that many showings of this film. I have ten movie theaters near my home and only 3 theater houses were showing Les Mis and very few times as well..one movie theater had only one showing at 10pm. The nearest theater to see the film was 4 miles away from me. I would have thought ALL theaters would be showing this film and with many showings through out the day; I guess not. I also live in a very big and one of the most popular cities in the US, where you would think it would be playing at every theater.

So, I think a lot of people are getting their hopes up to be the HIGHEST GROSSING MUSICAL OF ALL TIME...hopefully in the end it will be...but it's totally not being a MAMMA MIA that's for sure.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2012-12-26 12:25:37

For some much needed perspective:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/holidays.htm?page=xmasopen&p=.htm

$18 million would be the second best opening day gross and fourth best gross on Christmas, so that is pretty damn good.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-26 12:37:51

I expect it might break box office records for a musical its opening week (as I mentioned. And they should definitely promote that heavily.

I also expect it to drop off significantly the following 2-3 weeks.

Posted by DAME 2012-12-26 14:07:50

"I also expect it to drop off significantly the following 2-3 weeks.

As most films do. Will be interesting to see. I bet everyone at universal is having a very merry holiday.

Posted by Jonwo 2012-12-26 14:26:35

I can see Les Mis doing very well but I can't see it beating Mamma Mia! in markets where it just was a monster like the UK although I think it'll still a hit in the UK but it'll probably do around £30-35m at best which would be excellent.

I imagine the money it'll make will encourage Cameron Mackintosh to greenlight more musicals into development, not only Miss Saigon but also the rumoured remake of My Fair Lady which was being developed by Columbia Pictures, CBS Films and Mackintosh,

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-26 14:29:48

Also, what I noticed, everyone is saying that most of the shows are all "Sold Out", and that is because there are not that many showings of this film. I have ten movie theaters near my home and only 3 theater houses were showing Les Mis and very few times as well..one movie theater had only one showing at 10pm.

That's a good point. My theater only had one showing Christmas Day (7:30pm). Therefore it was rather packed though there were several walkouts. I think these were novices who were intrigued by the trailer and/or hoopla surrounding the film and wanted to check it out for themselves, but in the end it was just not for them.

I also expect it to drop off significantly the following 2-3 weeks.

I predict this, too. The musical has a built-in fan base, so everyone who wanted to see it rushed to see it Christmas day, but I don't see it having a lot of repeat business.

Posted by jpbran 2012-12-26 15:32:51

Here in Nashville, there were showtimes from noon+ all day. And one theater in a nearby suburb added an additional screen for a total of four -- all sold out, all day. The three other theaters I looked at in the area on Fandango were sold out almost all day too.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-26 15:35:52

My 11:45 showing this morning was packed, and when I got out, the next showing (and hour later) was already sold out.

And for some "perspective" the film is playing in 2,808. Just a little over 200 theaters less than Django.

The film is opening huge. No one is getting ahead of themselves. Now weather it keeps steady or drops hard next week is another story.

Posted by jdtp12 2012-12-26 16:15:52

Maybe I'm a special case, but a lot of the Les Mis fan I know didn't see it on Christmas Day. A lot were waiting until today or this weekend. So while obviously this isn't a universal truth, I don't think everyone who was going to see it saw it yesterday by any means.

Posted by theaternut 2012-12-27 11:27:23

Still on track.

Posted by broadwaybabywannabe2 2012-12-27 13:01:07

LES MIS had a Wednesday BOX OFFICE of $12 million for a cum of $30 million for 2 days...nice pace...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/les-miserables-tops-wednesday-box-406440

Posted by JP2 2012-12-27 13:04:22

THURSDAY 9:45 AM, 6TH UPDATE: Working Title/Universal’s #1 Les Misérables has grossed $28.3M internationally. Combined with the North American 2-day total of $30.3M, the worldwide cume now is $58.6M. The film is playing in Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore and Spain so there are many overseas territories still to go.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/first-box-office-1-%E2%80%98les-miserables%E2%80%99-2-django-opening-huge-on-christmas-day/

Posted by broadwayboy101 2012-12-27 13:11:42

I saw the film yesterday in a theater in Texas, and the theater was packed - it seemed to me like the people who wouldn't normally go to a movie were coming out for it. On another note, my friend who I went with said she saw The Hobbit in the same theater on its opening day, and the theater was only half full.

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-27 13:12:56

$158,400,000 to go for the US title or in adjusted dollars $582,000,000 .(It's up against Grease and since that was back in 1978 tickets prices have gone a buck or two so it's only fair).....next weekend will be the big telling sign.

As for the Hobbit it would have been a better comparison if The Hobbit hadn't been out for almost 3 weeks . Maybe a Les Miz-head will give us the report of their theater count 3 weeks from now

Posted by DAME 2012-12-27 13:20:51

That rationale is a little on the obnoxious side. Then you would have to go back to Sound Of Music. Les Miz is a big f****ing hit. Metropolis you are going to have to take a chill pill or something,. You are heading to a full internet breakdown.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-27 13:22:26

"As for the Hobbit it would have been a better comparison if The Hobbit hadn't been out for almost 3 weeks . Maybe a Les Miz-head will give us the report of their theater count 3 weeks from now"

But he mentioned seeing the Hobbit opening weekend. . .

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-27 13:35:12

I need to chill? Really? posting here that the movie will be the highest grossing musical of all time and updating it with box office receipts the minute they come out is NOT needing to chill? Odd that those of us that want to put a little perspective on this are being poo pooed. I thought it was in the spirit of the tread to be able to see the goal that the movie has to reach since the poster is saying it will reach the #1 slot.. well the #1 slot is a BIG slot to get too. I didn't make up the numbers I just report them. Sorry if the facts are obnoxious.

I did mention the Hobbit just as a way of saying that other movies had lines in my area too not just this one.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-27 13:42:20

But metropolis, you forget this is broadwayworld.com and you have to LOVE, I mean LOVE Les Miserables. You musn't say anything negative about this film because then you are branded a traitor and a hater of all things musical. Don't you know that it's the next best thing since a loaf of bread?!!

So yes it will be the highest gross musical of all time.

Oops I meant grossing-out.

Posted by theaternut 2012-12-27 13:42:58

Nah Metropolis.. you are not fooling anyone. You started your earlier posts with a skewed agenda. Girl time to get yourself busy with a man or something. You are coming out like a bit of a lonely troll.

Posted by theaternut 2012-12-27 13:44:52

Carlos.. how old are you? You are repeating yourself word for word. Mija.. te estas poniendo vieja!

Posted by JP2 2012-12-27 13:45:27

"But metropolis, you forget this is broadwayworld.com and you have to LOVE, I mean LOVE Les Miserables. You musn't say anything negative about this film because then you are branded a traitor and a hater of all things musical. Don't you know that it's the next best thing since a loaf of bread?!!

So yes it will be the highest gross musical of all time.

Oops I meant grossing-out."

Right, except this is BWW, where it's always been and always will be the complete opposite.

I mean, I hated Mamma Mia, but I wasn't fooling myself with how much $$ that film raked in. And Les Miz is ahead of it thus far.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-27 13:45:57

Well it takes one to know one mi'ja. Pot meet kettle brujita.

Posted by theaternut 2012-12-27 13:46:47

Maybe that is why I like you.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-27 13:47:48

Right, except this is BWW, where it's always been and always will be the complete opposite.

^^ Now that's RICH! LMFPRAO!!!

Posted by JP2 2012-12-27 13:50:31

How so? Finding something that BWW generally likes is rarer than a four leaf clover. And its not just with movie musicals, its Broadway in general.

Even things that were generally loved here upon release (Dreamgirls, Sweeney Todd, Hairspray) now seem to be the usual punching bags any time a related thread is made.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-27 13:51:34

^ This is a true statement.

Posted by theaternut 2012-12-27 13:52:38

^ Also a true statement.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-27 13:56:01

Maybe that is why I like you..

^ Talk about rarer than a four leaf clover. Most can't stand me around these parts.

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-27 13:57:08

Nah theaternut.. you are not fooling anyone. You started your earlier posts with a skewed agenda. Girl time to get yourself busy with a man or something. You are coming out like a bit of a lonely shill.

Once again... just because you don't like the message don't kill the messenger.

Posted by theaternut 2012-12-27 14:04:41

Well Carlos.. with you it is like looking in a mirror for me. And I LOVE me.

Posted by DAME 2012-12-27 14:10:42

I get the chart. We all get the chart. Just another way to view things. I guess one could go back in time and compare and adjust everything. IF YOU WANT TO BE A GRINCH. But here is the deal Metropolis.. NO ONE MADE YOU THE MESSENGER..

Posted by theaternut 2012-12-27 14:12:33

AMEN

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2012-12-27 16:30:47

I'm thrilled to see this doing so well. I thought the film was absolutely wonderful and easily the best movie musical since Chicago. I hope it inspires more musicals, especially using the live singing technique. It really brought something special to this film that worked beautifully.

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-12-27 17:30:23

"Even things that were generally loved here upon release (Dreamgirls, Sweeney Todd, Hairspray) now seem to be the usual punching bags any time a related thread is made.:

I agree with your sentiment in general, so this isn't against that--but I remember when Dreamgirls opened, and still when the movie comes up, a certain very vocal group of members here (and one who is quite respected and has made some great recordings and releases) who simply feel the need to go on and on that people are fooling themseleves if they think ti was a hit and obviously don't know how much went into0 marketing and that it was a flop. *eye roll*

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-27 18:56:11

I'm wondering about that chart. Is that the total take during a film's FIRST release or is it a combined total from re-releases as well. I ask because many of the films listed were released to theaters multiple times.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-27 19:17:04

It accounts all re releases.

Grease made 159,978,870 in '78, then added another $28,411,018 in 1998. And an addition $365,802 in 2010.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-27 19:23:06

Thanks. Yes, that makes sense.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-27 19:26:38

I believe Les Miz will wind up besting MAMMA MIA's! take at the box office. Les Miz is renowned the world over and it's loaded with box office names. It will definitely be another feather in Amanda Seyfried's career cap as she starred in both.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-27 19:34:37

^ Which, like or not, makes her an ideal candidate (in Hollywood's eyes) for future film musicals.

Cinderella in "Into the Woods," anyone?

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-27 19:37:25

That is so true besty. I totally see that happening.

Anne Hathaway as The Baker's Wife?

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-27 19:40:21

Ann would be great, opposite Jake Gyllenhaal as the Baker.

Like it or not, Amanda is on a very, very short list of movie stars who have already starred in two successful (at the box office) film musicals.

Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-27 20:40:59

I liked her acting choices, but her singing near killed me. Not sure about her as Cinderella, though. Like Anne as the Baker's Wife, though.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-27 21:25:58

I think she'd be great acting the part of Cinderella (as written in the show), and her singing would be passable.

Just keep her away from Glinda in Wicked. That part needs a good singer for everything she does but "Popular."

But The Steps of the Palace doesn't demand a great voice, just a great understanding of the lyrics. And her part on No One Is Alone would be fine. Not great, but fine.

Did I mention she's a movie star? And already has two successful film musicals under her belt?

She could sing like Rob Reiner and they would still think of her as a strong contender at this point.

Posted by Joviedamian 2012-12-27 21:37:19

"I believe Les Miz will wind up besting MAMMA MIA's! take at the box office. Les Miz is renowned the world over and it's loaded with box office names. It will definitely be another feather in Amanda Seyfried's career cap as she starred in both."

If I am not mistaken the total gross to date for Mamma Mis is like $600 million. LES MIS in my opinion should have passed the $100 million mark on the first day in order to climb to that level. It has only grossed over $58 million internationally and domestically. I see it reaching the $100 million mark, but not going too far pass that. I think those die-hard fans saw it and that was it.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-27 21:41:21

"Ann would be great, opposite Jake Gyllenhaal as the Baker. "

I think Hathaway is completely wrong for The Baker's Wife. I love her but there's something about that character that just "isn't" Anne Hathaway.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-27 21:48:45

Mammia Mia!, according to Box Office Mojo, grossed only a fraction of its total domestic gross on its opening weekend ($27,751,240 out of its total $144,130,063). It also stayed in theaters for about three months, and did very well overseas.

It is too soon to tell how Les Mis will actually perform. It had a strong opening, and seems to have good word of mouth. It will definitely pass 50 million domestically by Monday and January is a rather sparse movie release month.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-27 22:25:14

Les Miz has yet to open in some countries. And I'm talking worldwide grosses not just domestic. I think it's slated to open in some regions in February 2013 so there is still much money to be made from the film....it JUST opened 2 days ago.

Posted by ACL2006 2012-12-27 22:25:28

It should reach $100 million worldwide by New Year's Day. It has the potential to pass Mamma Mia considering it's following. I don't think there's any die-hard Mamma Mia fans out there.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-27 22:53:59

"If I am not mistaken the total gross to date for Mamma Mis is like $600 million. LES MIS in my opinion should have passed the $100 million mark on the first day in order to climb to that level. It has only grossed over $58 million internationally and domestically. I see it reaching the $100 million mark, but not going too far pass that. I think those die-hard fans saw it and that was it.

Please correct me if I am wrong here."

Why would Les Miz have to make $100 million WW on its first day when Mamma Mia! only made $30 million WW its first weekend? These things take time, ya know.

Posted by mjroberts972 2012-12-27 23:05:15

It should also be noted that the soundtrack is #1 on the iTunes. Smells like a success.

Posted by TheatreFan4 2012-12-27 23:18:31

If I am not mistaken the total gross to date for Mamma Mis is like $600 million. LES MIS in my opinion should have passed the $100 million mark on the first day in order to climb to that level. It has only grossed over $58 million internationally and domestically. I see it reaching the $100 million mark, but not going too far pass that. I think those die-hard fans saw it and that was it.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Oh girl, you funny.

Mamma Mia had $150M of its gross come from DVD sales. Les Miz has already shattered Mamma Mia's opening world wide gross in two days.

Posted by Joviedamian 2012-12-27 23:43:15

"Mamma Mia had $150M of its gross come from DVD sales. Les Miz has already shattered Mamma Mia's opening world wide gross in two days."

And, the total gross in sales was $600 million. In order for LES MIZ to become the "highest grossing musical of all time" like the poster mentioned, it needs to beat $600 million in sales..no matter how it was accumulated. Starting at $58 million globally is not a strong start...but good opening for a musical non-the-less.

"Grease holds the US record with $188 million (and a world total of $386 million). Worldwide it's Mamma Mia! with $144 million in the US and almost $465 in the rest of the world, for an amazing total of $609 million"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_highest_grossing_musical_film_of_all_time

Posted by JP2 2012-12-27 23:46:36

"Starting at $58 million globally is not a strong start..."

This is a completely delusion statement. This is without a doubt a huge start for any film.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-27 23:46:43

Do we all get a prize or something if it hits $600 million?

Posted by Mtdewelite2010 2012-12-27 23:50:42

I'm just happy to see a movie musical being talked about as much as it is and not just on musical theater message boards. Hope it does become the highest grossing movie musical!

Posted by TheatreFan4 2012-12-27 23:52:19

Starting at $58 million globally is not a strong start...but good opening for a musical non-the-less

Mamma Mia opened with even less! On a weekend. During Summer Blockbuster time. How are you not getting this?

Posted by JP2 2012-12-27 23:54:49

Apparently Mamma Mia! made all $600 million in its first day.

Posted by Joviedamian 2012-12-27 23:55:21

That is correct. Mamma Mia opened less with like $9 million in the US but had a massive gross over seas...that's what made up for it.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2012-12-27 23:59:22

All conceivable box office data related to Mamma Mia!:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=mammamia.htm

Posted by TheatreFan4 2012-12-28 00:00:37

Mamma Mia's opening weekend worldwide was $55M. Les Miz has $58 from its first two days before it even gets to its first weekend.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-28 00:04:22

I don't know about you guys, but I really want to watch Mamma Mia!

Posted by ljay889 2012-12-28 00:07:39

Jovie really wants us to watch Mamma Mia!

Posted by ucjrdude902 2012-12-28 00:12:43

Hahahaha

Posted by saisai 2012-12-28 00:21:59

In case anyone was curious about ETX (AMC's Enhanced Theater Experience), I was able to catch a screening today and finally felt satisfied with the sound quality. The gun shots and cannons were not ear splitting. I'd recommend this over the regular movie experience. I don't know how it compares to IMAX, will update know if I find myself catching an IMAX screening.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-28 00:22:19

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-28 00:24:48

^ And they're bathed in golden light!!!

The Streep makes a fabulous head whore.

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-28 00:38:08

Mamma Mia's opening weekend worldwide was $55M. Les Miz has $58 from its first two days before it even gets to its first weekend.

Sure, Les Miz didn't open on a weekend, but shouldn't its first two days count as a weekend haul? In that case, they both made more or less the same amount in the same amount of time.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-28 00:39:49

And Mamma Mia wasn't competing with the celebration of the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Posted by TheatreFan4 2012-12-28 00:40:43

To a point yes, but how many people had **** to do on Christmas unable to go see Les Miz and are waiting for the weekend so they can see it while they're off work. That's the appeal of the weekend and why they're so focused on them for Movie grosses.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-28 00:43:21

Les Miseramma Mia!

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-28 00:43:21

Les Miseramma Mia!

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-28 00:46:03

Phyllis, that reminds me, Mamma MIa! opened the same weekend as The Dark Knight, so its opening weekend gross is even more impressive, considering.

TheatreFan4, it's Christmas vacation. College/high school students have it off. (I was surprised at the large amount of teens/twentysomethings in my theater.) Furthermore, many people/families go to the movies on Christmas. That's why movies open on that date.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-28 00:50:31

"Sure, Les Miz didn't open on a weekend, but shouldn't its first two days count as a weekend haul? In that case, they both made more or less the same amount in the same amount of time."

Well, Les Mis did more in 2 days what Mamma Mia did in 3...

"Phyllis, that reminds me, Mamma MIa opened the same weekend as The Dark Knight, so its weekend gross is even more impressive considering."

No, it's called counter programming. Obviously TDK and Mamma Mia are two vastly different markets.

Posted by theaternut 2012-12-28 14:21:36

And it continues to kick box office ass.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-28 14:56:36

It's going into the weekend at $39 million domestically. I originally guessed $40-60 million in its first week (total), but it may pass my top range estimate of $60 million. Very cool for a musical film!

It already broke the (current US dollar rate) box office record of a single day for a musical film, and it also broke the all time non-weekend record for an opening holiday film of any genre.

It's starting out of the gate very well indeed.

Posted by DAME 2012-12-28 16:39:15

And non regular theater lovers are going and loving it. That is wonderful.

Posted by SporkGoddess 2012-12-28 17:19:18

I just saw it in a a smaller Midwestern town and the theater was pretty full.

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-28 18:20:32

So it slips to #2 yesterday behind The Hobbit: $10,120,000
Les Miz: $9,168,120

$104,691,638 to beat Mamma Mia
$131,249,093 to beat Chicago

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-28 18:24:46

I have to say this (and maybe it belongs on the other thread), but this movie has its flaws, yes.

But what it gets right, it really gets right.

I still can't stop thinking about the first 40 minutes of this film. It's haunting me. Ann Hathaway's brilliant performance is haunting me.

I seriously tear up just thinking about it.

If that translates into good word of mouth, this movie will do much better than I expected.

... meaning "blockbuster."

Posted by phantom8019 2012-12-28 18:34:05

Sorry to ruin the party folks, but Les Miserables is a huge FLOP. I have a friend who knows someone who has a friend who is an intern at Universal Pictures. According to her, Universal is LOSING money on this pic, because they had to refund most of the $40 million they made so far. Many people who have seen this huge flop are demanding refunds because they didn't know it was a boring, lame, homosexual sung-through musical about cats with AIDS living in the Paris Opera House. They expected a Wolverine prequel but were duped by the misleading advertising.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-28 18:35:20

LOL

*love*

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-28 18:50:51

They were pissed because the helicopter was cut out weren't they?

Posted by Joviedamian 2012-12-28 19:00:22

"Jovie really wants us to watch Mamma Mia!"

Not really...I want the results of the poster to be true: "Les Mis set to be the highest grossing movie musical of all time". It has to beat $600 million world wide. But, I just don't think it will. I hope so, but I just don't see it...

Posted by Plum 2012-12-28 19:08:06

Eh, why get so fixated on rank? As long as it makes a healthy profit and maybe gets a few Oscar nominations, it'll go down as a musical that was worthwhile to its studio. Those are rare enough.

Posted by Joviedamian 2012-12-28 19:08:44

Plum, I agree. I am just tired of people getting their hopes up!

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-28 23:09:49

I agree too, I'm just getting into the spirit of the thread. Since it's about the movie becoming the #1 all time movie musical.

Posted by DAME 2012-12-29 11:52:40

^
Funny how some of the nay sayers are changing their tune. Like we can't go back and read.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-29 13:37:27

$48.8 million (domestic gross so far) after Friday's estimates came in.

EDIT: I think it's safe to say it's going to brush past my initial upper-end estimate of $60 million in its first week. It still has Saturday, Sunday, and Monday grosses to add in before it finishes out Week #1. Normally, Sunday and Monday grosses fall way off, but this being another holiday weekend, they could almost be as strong as Friday or Saturday night. We shall see, but this is a solid showing for a first week of any film, let alone a musical.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-29 13:54:34

It's kinda sad (or maybe pathetic?) that "Les Miz" grossed more than the entire theatrical release of "Nine" ($19.6 million) after its second day.

"Les Miz" will easily pass the total domestic grosses for both Phantom of the Opera ($51.2 million) and Sweeney Todd ($52.8 million) after today's intake is added in.

Still a a ways off from Dreamgirls, Hairspray, and the modern-day champs Mamma Mia! and Chicago, but it's well on its way to being right up there.

Posted by little_sally 2012-12-29 14:01:30

Re: Nine: makes sense, considering it's not such as recognizable name to the general public. That, and it was a terrible movie.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-29 14:19:25

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say, but here's a few reasons I think "Nine" tanked and why I think "Les Miz" did it right (at least from the "money" angle):

BAD: "Nine" is not an instantly recognizable title. It has no hit songs or pop standards from it. It's not widely produced by community theatres, high schools, colleges, or even summer stock theatres. The general public wasn't aware of it.

GOOD: "Les Miz" is known on some level by the general public, even if they've never seen it. They know the original novel and perhaps even the basic plot. They may even have been "forced" to read it (or parts of it) in a classroom. They might know "I Dreamed a Dream" because of Susan Boyle. And the musical was/is a mega-hit, so they might have seen a production of it, professional or amateur.

BAD: "Nine" loaded up with movie stars, many of them Oscar-winners or nominees, but few of them had ever starred in or carried a huge blockbuster hit film.

GOOD: "Les Miz" loaded up with a Blockbuster cast, including Wolverine, Gladiator, and Cat Woman at the top of the heap, followed by a star from an actual hit movie musical (Mamma Mia!) and Borat and Belatrix from the Harry Potter movies.

BAD: "Nine" opened with mixed reviews (at best), but it also opened in limited release (just 4 theatres), allowing for an equally mixed word of mouth to spread in the bigger cities before it went into wide release and tanked.

GOOD: "Les Miz" opened with mixed reviews, but it also opened in wide release on Christmas Day in 2,808 theatres.

Posted by little_sally 2012-12-29 14:29:55

It's hurts me when people blame the failure on Nine on the source material and the score (I don't mean you best12bars, I mean generally). I think the score is some of the most beautiful music ever written for the stage. Rob Marshall just didn't know what to do with the source material.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-29 14:42:31

Per Deadline:

"Tom Hooper’s musical crosses $100 million worldwide today. Playing this weekend in 8 international territories — Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Hungary and Spain – its overseas gross is now $36.6M. Combined with the U.S. total of $68M expected by Sunday, the worldwide cume should be $115.7M by then."

Posted by tazber 2012-12-29 15:51:38

Possibly slipping to 3rd for the weekend, but still very robust!

Also, according to boxofficeguru.com it took Mamma Mia twice as long to reach $68 million.

After three days on top, Les Miserables sank into third place with $9.4 million on Friday. Due to upfront excitement from passionate fans, Universal’s musical drama, which earned an “A” CinemaScore grade, had already earned about $40 million heading into the frame, and a likely $28 million frame will bring its total to a hugely impressive $68 million since its release on Christmas day.

Posted by bk 2012-12-29 16:31:21

Deadline is a site for fools. The film is doing very well - people really think it will pass The Sound of Music as the highest grossing musical of all time? Dream on, Cinderella. Just adjust for dollars and nothing will beat The Sound of Music - ever. When you adjust the original gross for inflation it come in at over one billion dollars. Even if you don't adjust, it's 158 million on a budget of 8.2 million.

Posted by tazber 2012-12-29 16:45:29

^^^^

It's true. Sound of Music even beats Avatar when adjusted for inflation.

But it doesn't really matter. What matters is that Les Miz is already a success and is shaping up to be a smash.

With little to no competition in January, excellent word of mouth (see its cinemascore) and Oscar nominations still to come it's poised to have a very profitable theatrical run.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-29 17:26:49

"Deadline is a site for fools."

How is the most reputable and popular Hollywood trade a 'site for fools'?

No one ever said Les Miz was going to top any adjusted gross, but at this point $200 million in the US alone is not out of reach.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-29 17:32:08

I know "box office records" are extremely important for promoting and gloating, but the bottom line is that movies just aren't drawing the crowds they did a few decades ago, and don't even come close to what they did before television.

And truly, it's all beside the point ... because Avatar and Titanic and Les Miserables don't have to compete against Gone With the Wind or The Sound of Music.

They only really have to do well on today's terms, against today's films, with today's dollars at stake. Not yesterday's.

So "all time blah-blah" is really a lie. Did the movie do well and make the studio money and knock (enough of) the other current movies aside to win your choice as "the movie you want to see?"

Regardless of what you think or critic's think of Les Miz, a movie musical becoming one of the year's "big hits" means that more movie musicals will be considered for production. It's no guarantee, but it shows producers and studios that it is possible, with the right property and the right people involved, to yield a big success with a musical.

Chicago did it. Mamma Mia! did it. And now, Les Miz is well on its way.

For that alone, I say, "Yay, team!"

Posted by WestEndAndy 2012-12-29 18:06:19

I haven't seen the film yet, but I expect it to gross well over a billion worldwide, maybe over 2 billion.
Les Mis is just not like any other movie musical. You are talking about the most successful musical in the history of the world. It has much more appeal than even Mamma Mia or The Sound of Music. They are both enjoyable confections, whereas by all accounts this is as much of a blockbuster as the stage show.

Laugh now, while you can.

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-29 18:14:36

I haven't seen the film yet, but I expect it to gross well over a billion worldwide, maybe over 2 billion.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by The Scorpion 2012-12-29 18:32:20

Les Mis is just not like any other movie musical. You are talking about the most successful musical in the history of the world.

You'd think that'd be enough to seal its place in the top spot, but it isn't necessarily. For a start, the most financially successful musical in history (as per the Guinness Book of Records and Cameron Mackintosh's own press team) is not Miz but Phantom (Miz trumps Phantom in terms of number of places performed, though). And we all know how...er..."well" the film of that show did, although of course it didn't help that the film was pretty much a travesty.

But Miz is definitely getting a lot more positive buzz and, indeed, buzz generally than the Phantom film ever did. It helps it has A-list stars and major studio backing. Seeing the trailer in the cinema yesterday (it's not out in the UK till mid-January) was genuinely exciting as it got everyone talking in anticipation. And the TV spots and posters are everywhere.

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-29 20:11:31

While the move will make money there is NO way it is going toe be the highest grossing movie musical of all time. Once again next weekend will the the true test to it's staying power. If it can go over $20million next weekend it has a chance to be in the top but even beating Chicago will be quite a challenge.

Posted by RooMcGoo 2012-12-29 22:00:56

Check out my deconstruction of Les Mis' success

Posted by JP2 2012-12-29 22:22:51

That was actually hilarious.

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-30 00:03:25

It was better then the movie ...lol

Posted by morosco 2012-12-30 00:48:27

Posted by TheatreFan4 2012-12-30 01:01:09

So they've already made more than their budget, which I know still means it has to go well above that to even break even but it hasn't even opened in the UK yet where it's sure to have a very high box office there.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-30 01:29:30

The industry myth is 'double the budget', so this would have to make about 120 million to break even, which it will have done by Monday/Tuesday.

Posted by TheatreFan4 2012-12-30 01:32:15

I thought it was double the budget to get the ACTUAL budget including marketing?

Posted by JP2 2012-12-30 01:42:02

Well, yes. The studio says the film cost $61m. We can double that and assume the marketing budget was another $61m, but we have no way of knowing that for certain.

Posted by bk 2012-12-30 02:14:23

Oh, boy. No one really sits here and thinks the studio is taking HOME 100 million dollars, do they? Seriously. And yes, Deadline is a site for fools. It is hardly "well-respected" by anyone who knows anything about the business and Nikki Finke is especially a twit. And yes again, you have to also factor in the prints and advertising, which in the case of this thing, is no less than twenty million and probably more.

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-30 02:22:31

I believe the rule of thumb is if you make back three times your budget it's considered a hit. If you make back only double, it's "breaking even," considering creative accounting and additional expenses like marketing. If you only make back approximately the same as the budget or less, it's a "failure".

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-12-30 10:46:07

Some of the conjectory analysis of the formula in which a studio calculates hit/flop/profit ratios being discussed in this thread are completely off base- suffice to say that there is no straight forward rule of thumb to determine the profit margin on a film as those details are based on a lot of individual budgetary factors that take into consideration things above and beyond the theatrical release of a picture.

Also almost all films today are distributed digitally- the once huge coat of creating "prints" is almost non exist now.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-30 10:53:36

I think we can count on the film doing comparable, or even superior, business in the UK.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2012-12-30 11:44:35

Looks like Les Mis dropped to third for the weekend:

https://twitter.com/boxofficemojo/status/285421852451545088

Posted by JP2 2012-12-30 11:50:13

$28 first weekend, comparable to Hairspray, Mamma Mia!, and The Muppets.

Posted by theaternut 2012-12-30 12:59:24

MB : you are 100% correct. Some people here are so way off in the way they are calculating things. Error? Maybe. Eagerness to be a know it all and pass on misinformation ? Probably.

I guarantee that executives at Universal are beyond happy with what this movie has made so far. Not looking into the comparative charts ( since as stated earlier.. was not my intention nor the way the $ people will be looking at things) ; I stand by the threads title. The movie will drop considerably in the coming week. But will continue to make tons of money and the international and dvd ( etc..) money will continue to rain in for a long time.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-30 13:50:35

There is still a cost for digital distribution to movie theaters (usually done on hard drives which can be reused for future films), but it's a fraction of the cost of printing films.

The way films are shown in theatres today is so different than it was just a few decades ago. Not only do you have the billion dollar saver of digital distribution, but it has allowed films to go into a much wider distribution simultaneously. Due to costs, films used to play in several hundred theaters at once, during a wide release. It would roll out slower, and often even a hit film wouldn't reach the secondary markets for months after an initial release. Consequently, mega-hit films would often be in wide release for many months to a year, and in the case of a film like The Sound of Music, it was in general release for several years.

Today, a movie that lingers beyond a couple of months has usually played every conceivable market, because they can open in 2,000 to 4,000 theatres all at once. They make the lion's share of their money in the first few weeks, then drop off considerably and fade away quickly.

It's a whole different mindset and behavior pattern for moviegoers today.

Even with current films, the "wideness" of the distribution can vary drastically.

Take the top three films right now:

#1 - The Hobbit - it's playing in 4,100 theaters in the U.S.
#2 - Django Unchained - 3,010 theaters.
#3 - Les Miserables - 2,808 theatres.

Makes a difference when you look at the current grosses, too.

Posted by degrassifan 2012-12-30 14:23:22

"It has much more appeal than even Mamma Mia or The Sound of Music. They are both enjoyable confections, whereas by all accounts this is as much of a blockbuster as the stage show."

I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with this. Most people know Dancing Queen, most people know My Favorite Things, but I can't name you one song from Les Mis except for I Dreamed a Dream, which I only know from the commercials of the movie. Just like Wicked. Yes, it's very popular, but there are those who know nothing about it or its songs.

Even though The Sound of Music will always remain the most successful movie musical of all time (until something beats it someday, which I doubt), I am glad that Les Mis is doing very well in the box office. I have yet to see it, but whenever a new movie musical premieres, I always hope for the best. Great job to the team involved!

Posted by DAME 2012-12-30 14:45:59

Degrassi.. that is all a matter of opinion. I know many straight guys going to L M that stayed away from Mamma Mia. They wouldn't be caught dead doing anything with Dancing Queen.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-30 14:51:21

$67.4 million is the projected U.S. gross for the first six days of Les Miz.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lesmiserables2012.htm

Posted by Plum 2012-12-30 15:46:11

Is there any prognostication here that isn't basically people talking out of their butts? (I include myself in this. My instinct is that Les Mis will be profitable but not make Mamma Mia! money, but what do I know?) If anyone wants to be the Nate Silver of box office receipts somehow, by all means, go for it, but until that person comes along this mostly feels like people spinning around in circles talking about their feelings.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-30 16:33:55

What's wrong with prognostication?

People do it here all the time with "who will win the Tony" or the Oscar or "who will replace so-and-so as Rapunzel in Cat On a Hot Tin Roof" and "what show will take the Nedermeyer next" and "what TV boo-boo mom will get cancelled first."

And so it goes on BWW ...

Posted by RooMcGoo 2012-12-30 17:02:43

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-30 17:20:50

For those needing info...

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-30 17:40:48

That clip is pretty dang funny, RooMcGoo.

Posted by bobs3 2012-12-30 17:41:46

"$67.4 million is the projected U.S. gross for the first six days of Les Miz."

Only on Broadwayworld.com would $67.4 million be considered a weak opening -- not to mention the additional $20 million it will pick up on New Year's Eve & New Year's Day.

I can guarantee you the suits at Universal are jizzing themselves over these numbers (and I mean that in a good way)!

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-30 19:14:25

We're not saying that it's not a good opening but the original post was that the movie was going to be the "highest grossing movie musical of all time." It's a good opening but is it enough to make it the #1 no, and I don't think that it will $20mil on New Years if it only did $18mil on it's opening day

Posted by DAME 2012-12-30 19:54:23

Metropolis ; you are so obnoxious. You keep saying the same thing over and over. Leave people alone! Stop being such a nasty bitch!

Posted by DAME 2012-12-30 19:54:29

Metropolis ; you are so obnoxious. You keep saying the same thing over and over. Leave people alone! Stop being such a nasty bitch!

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-30 19:55:54

yawn

Posted by DAME 2012-12-30 19:59:43

TRULY.

Posted by metropolis10111 2012-12-30 20:01:17

I think you need a hobby.. how about basket weaving or learning to love your self for who you are?

Posted by DAME 2012-12-30 20:03:29

I think I want to make you my hobby. You look kind of cute in that pic. But I can't tell. Your probably 500 pounds under all that.

Posted by Iris Chacon 2013-01-01 19:48:05

There is already a dubbed Spanish version.

Posted by songanddanceman2 2013-01-01 22:14:18

The film is doing fine at 115 million worldwide already and it has not ever opened in places like the UK yet (or many other countries). This figure is not inc New Years Eve or New Years day and is about 5 days behind internationally.

In America it will easily head over the 100 million mark, worldwide (inc America)i would guess between 250 million to 300 million will be its final gross, a very decent gross from a 60 million budget

Posted by metropolis10111 2013-01-05 18:52:56

SO who's going to give us the update of there screenings this weekend? It's looking pretty soft this week. Yesterday it did less then $5mil. Surprised it's looking steam with so many sold out shows and people clamoring to see it.

Posted by My Oh My 2013-01-05 19:01:49

Well, here's the domestic box office report through Thursday:

http://www.variety.com/charts/film/domestic-film-box-office/weekly/

That's the first time I've checked how it's doing at the B.O. Not overly concerned about it being #1. Just that it's good, and so far most people tend to feel it's a good film adaptation. Of course, NOBODY will matter after I see it. EVERYBODY just loves the current budget tour. There's only one person who hates it as much as I do...me! *evil laughter*

Posted by ggersten 2013-01-05 19:08:02

Just check this site for running box office estimates...
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=lesmiserables2012.htm 92M domestic through 11 days

and Mamma Mia is here: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mammamia.htm (144M US; 465M Foreign) 65M domestic trhough 11 days)

Grease: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=grease.htm (not adjusted for inflation)

Highest US Grosses for Live Action Musicals: (i.e. Lion King is not on the list) http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=musical.htm

Posted by JP2 2013-01-05 19:35:52

"SO who's going to give us the update of there screenings this weekend? It's looking pretty soft this week. Yesterday it did less then $5mil. Surprised it's looking steam with so many sold out shows and people clamoring to see it."

It's looking like $16-17m this weekend, which is about a 37% drop from last weekend. In what world is a 37% drop on a major studio release "soft"?

After 2 weeks, it will cross 100 million at the domestic box office this weekend. Mamma Mia! crossed 100m after 4 weeks.

I mean, you yourself said this weekend would be telling. And it is. What we can see is that Les Miz is holding incredibly well. If it was as "front loaded" as some had claimed we'd certainly be following the usual second week drop of 50% or more.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-05 19:57:55

I agree that it's the highest grossest movie musical of all time!!!

Posted by metropolis10111 2013-01-05 23:05:36

^ ^ I peed

Posted by DAME 2013-01-06 13:29:19

Just got it in the mail yesterday. It was the last screener I was missing. I had received it before but it would not play. I have seen everything. Argo will win best pic. LM is still kicking ass in the Box Office and is just starting to roll out in most of Europe.

Posted by ggersten 2013-01-06 23:51:18

Les Mis just passed Dreamgirls on the domestic chart after 13 days and now is at 103,650,000. Mamma Mia was at 72M after 13 days.

Posted by ACL2006 2013-01-06 23:57:10

I'm really suprised it wasn't playing at more theaters for the first two weeks considering the holidays.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-06 23:58:50

@Dame Kind of on- and off-topic... what would you rank the eligible Best Picture nominees from most-likely to win to not? :)

Posted by Jon 2013-01-07 07:01:25

Just think - if they had cast veterans of the stage verison in the leads, they could have had a hit on the level of the film versions of RENT and THE PRODUCERS!

Posted by Dave19 2013-01-07 08:07:21

Then they would have had a film that would stand the test of time.

But I'm glad you are such a supporter of today's greed.
I bet they would have made even more with Taylor Swift in it!
Too bad they made the mistake of taking Samantha Barks, right?

RIGHT?

Posted by EponineAmneris 2013-01-07 09:17:48

I hope this happens! The numbers and award nominations are great so far!

Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-07 12:12:46

"I bet they would have made even more with Taylor Swift in it!"

Not a Swift fan here, but that song/part was so harmless in the movie it should have gone to her. She could have at least gotten some "attention". Samantha is pretty and she sings well, but the part is just so insignificant in this movie. If I wasn't familiar with the material, I would have wondered who/why she was even there. Why do we care at all she has unrequited love? The song is so big it's almost laughable they would give such an insignificant character such heavy emotions.

In the novel her cross-dressing is a big deal (if I remember right), in this movie, it seems like she is just dressing up to fight. I figured they didn't think the audience would suspend disbelief that Marius and Cossette actually mistook her for a boy they didn't know.

That should have been a meaty part, I would go so far to say it should have been cut. What service does it do the "story" or plot here?

Posted by Kad 2013-01-07 12:21:21

Eponine is only slightly more useful to the plot than a mailbox because she can sing.

Posted by jo 2013-01-07 22:13:10

Tveit and Barks were the tributes to Broadway and to the West End, both of which popularized Les Miserables immensely.

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-01-08 18:46:32

Taylor Swift would have been enough to keep me away from the film in movie theaters. I'd sooner have seen Miley Cyrus play Eponine.

Posted by theminutepast 2013-01-08 18:54:59

My Oh My: When are you going to see it?

Posted by DAME 2013-01-09 20:34:48

Posted by DAME 2013-01-10 12:50:34

So how much of an uptick will come money wise from the noms?

Posted by theaternut 2013-01-10 13:28:02

I think it is about to be released in the rest of Europe next week?

Posted by broadwayfever 2013-01-11 00:26:12

Take that...all you critics and haters out there.

Posted by JP2 2013-01-11 22:57:03

Today’s overseas openings for Working Title/Universal’s Oscar-nominated Les Misérables pushes it past $200 million worldwide. Domestic grosses are currently at $109M and international grosses at $96.7M before it opens in four other territories this weekend: New Zealand, Netherlands, Cyprus and Vietnam. With tonight’s releases, Tom Hooper’s adaptedd musical is currently open in 22 international territories with 40 still to come over the next two months. Les Misérables had a record-shattering opening in the UK today, grossing an estimated $3.7M (£2.3M) for Friday alone. It is the #1 film in the marketplace by a huge margin with 46% market share.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/les-miserables-in-britain-opens-1-setting-records/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Posted by jo 2013-01-12 02:24:37

Someone tweeted an update about the box office performance in South Korea so far. It is actually leading the international receipts, per Box Office Mojo.

>RussellMarkRodrigues?@russell_mark
'Les Mis' is the highest grossing musical movie in Korea w/ $33mil.(4.5 mil tix sold). Congrats!! @RealHughJackman @LesMiserables<<<

It looks like Asia is responding very well. Japan is also showing very strong receipts. International receipts updated as of January 6, 2013, except for Spain which is Dec 30, 2012.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=lesmiserables2012.htm

Posted by sabrelady 2013-01-12 03:28:38

I do see it displacing Mamma Mia!. But not S of M.

Posted by DAME 2013-01-12 12:24:38

"Today’s overseas openings for Working Title/Universal’s Oscar-nominated Les Misérables pushes it past $200 million worldwide. Domestic grosses are currently at $109M and international grosses at $96.7M before it opens in four other territories this weekend: New Zealand, Netherlands, Cyprus and Vietnam. With tonight’s releases, Tom Hooper’s adaptedd musical is currently open in 22 international territories with 40 still to come over the next two months. Les Misérables had a record-shattering opening in the UK today, grossing an estimated $3.7M (£2.3M) for Friday alone. It is the #1 film in the marketplace by a huge margin with 46% market share. "

Nice.

Posted by theaternut 2013-01-13 13:02:57

Is A Hathway still doing the Judy Garland story?

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-13 13:19:17

Gee I hope not. I see her playing a good Liza Minnelli though.

Posted by DAME 2013-01-13 13:21:17

It was postponed. But in a Q & A a few weeks ago she said they are shooting to start production at the end of this year.

Posted by DAME 2013-01-13 13:22:47

"Speaking on BBC Radio Four's Front Row radio show, the actress says, "It's a very sensitive project and there have been so many stories told about her life that we're really trying to get it right. So we're taking our time with it. I know it seems like it's sort of an endless process but it's very, very slow incremental steps. I had a meeting about it a couple of weeks ago and we're all very motivated."

Hathaway also opened up about the struggles of playing Garland on the big screen, adding, "I certainly don't sing like Judy Garland... But I think people might cry murder if they don't get to hear Judy's beloved voice so the talk is for me to sing but I don't know if that's exactly what will happen."

Mind you..this particular interview was before LM.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-13 18:25:59

Les Miz just mizzed right by Hairspray (total US $118.8 million).

It now has grossed $119.2 million here in the states. Shouldn't be long before it catches up to Mamma Mia! and even (potentially) Chicago. It's a possibility now, especially with a nice share of Oscar nominations to help propel it a bit.

On a side note, Zero Dark Thirty opened wide this weekend in the number one spot, taking in $24 million. Whoa!

Posted by jo 2013-01-13 23:06:09

Estimated worldwide receipts for Les Miserables are now $ 238 million, as of January 13. And there are many foreign markets which have not opened.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lesmiserables2012.htm

With its Golden Globe wins for Best Musical/Comedy, Hugh Jackman, and Anne Hathaway -- who knows how much the box receipts will be boosted!

Posted by ACL2006 2013-01-13 23:13:36

Les Mis will def. break any movie musical record with it's three big wins at the Golden Globes.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-13 23:15:48

Trust me, someone is in an editing room right now making sure trailers say "And now, the winner of 3 Golden Globe awards".

Posted by jo 2013-01-13 23:29:34

Cameron Mackintosh must be over the moon now! A Golden Globe win for his maiden filmmaking effort!!

Posted by DAME 2013-01-14 00:40:41

On it's way.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-14 00:45:07

If my blu ray could give me a version without "Suddenly" I wouldn't be mad.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-14 07:51:24

The movie has it's flaws but in spite of them many people are enjoying the film and its obviously ( a) receiving great word-of-mouth and (b) getting repeat business....especially from the hard core Les Mis fans...and that's not a bad thing...it's cool seeing an entirely sung thru film really kicking ass at the box office. It's an unqualified success. No one can negate that.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-14 08:29:47

I don't know that Golden Globe wins add much to box office.

But hey, it couldn't hurt! And it definitely helps the momentum.

The biggest thing from the GGs is that it won more than any other film (yeah, okay, that's three), but still with any news item rolling out from last night or this morning, that means it gets mentioned in the first sentence.

"Les Miz led the way with wins for Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actress ..."

That sort of thing.

Posted by madbrian 2013-01-14 08:34:19

I think the fact that the GG show is getting such good press may help, if only a little. Fey & Pohler were outstanding, and clips are being shown on morning cable shows.

Posted by ggersten 2013-01-14 12:13:46

I don't see Les Mis beating Mamma Mia's worlwide gross of 610M. It may outgross Mamma Mia's US number (144M), but the foreign number is gigantic to overcome.

And I think Les Mis has too far to go to catch Grease's unadjusted domestic total of $189. (Grease's unadjusted total including foreign is $394M) The big opening and viewing season has some and gone It's hard to compare, though, to Chicago- as although Chicago opened around Christmas, it didn't go wide for 43 days, when it went from 623 screens to 1841 and a week later to 2268. Les Mis opened on 2800 screens. Chicago reached 2700 screens at its height.

Posted by ACL2006 2013-01-14 12:21:57

Les Mis still has yet to open in many other countries. I think it's entirely possible for it to beat out Mamma Mia's worldwide gross of $610 million.

Posted by newintown 2013-01-14 12:23:55

Serious question - why would anyone without a financial investment in the film care how much money it makes?

Any film that sells a lot of tickets will make more money today than those in the past simply because of inflation.

No one really thinks ticket sales (and prices) are the same thing as quality, do they? Is the argument "my love of this movie is justified by the amount of money it collects?"

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-14 12:33:52

No one really thinks ticket sales (and prices) are the same thing as quality, do they? Is the argument "my love of this movie is justified by the amount of money it collects?"

I agree with this. If you put things into perspective a movie makes 600 million - yes it sold a helluva lot of tickets and got butt into those seats - but really, how many of those who brought a ticket truly enjoyed what they watched?

It would be very telling if there was a system to gauge this. Imagine a blockbuster movie with a total domestic take of say $144 million and only a fraction of those ticket buyers enjoyed it while the majority of them didn't care for it at all.

Posted by Wildcard 2013-01-14 12:41:05

People are invested in how much Les Mis makes because its success would pave the way for more movie musicals to be made (with Miss Saigon as its most immediate result). That way, we'll have something new to complain about once casting is announced, clips are previewed and dissected and performances lambasted.

Posted by DAME 2013-01-14 12:43:54

Yeah but what you guys are really being is bitter sour pusses. Quality and what you thought of the film is just a matter of opinion. I think the Hobbit is a piece of boring crap.. but other people love it and it has made a lot of money. Despite of what you thought.. why are you so intent on diminishing the obvious success of this film?

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-14 12:47:47

I'm not being a bitter sour puss. I have no financial stake in the picture. So it really doesn't affect me in the least how this movie fares at the box office. I am actually quite pleased and impressed.

Hence my post at 7:51 this morning:

The movie has it's flaws but in spite of them many people are enjoying the film and its obviously ( a) receiving great word-of-mouth and (b) getting repeat business....especially from the hard core Les Mis fans...and that's not a bad thing...it's cool seeing an entirely sung thru film really kicking ass at the box office. It's an unqualified success. No one can negate that.

I'm just curious about stuff like this. It certainly isn't my intention to piss on anyone's parade.

Posted by DAME 2013-01-14 12:48:32

Well good Carlos. I was not aiming that at you.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-14 12:50:17

This thread isn't a critics thread. We have plenty of those, and I've weighed in on my opinion of it as well.

Why do I care (and perhaps others)?

I'm less concerned with actual dollars than I am with how many people are seeing it in this country and around the world. And even if my opinion of this film is mixed, I'm definitely thrilled to see a major movie musical do well in today's world. It opens doors to future projects.

That's reason enough to be interested, IMO.

And yes, I was even happy to see Mamma Mia! do well. It's not remotely my favorite show or favorite movie musical, but it helps pave the way to others getting a green light (including Les Miz).

It's a good thing.

As far as it catching up to Grease, it's not likely, and if you do "adjusted dollars" it isn't even remotely possible. I don't think people here realize just how huge that movie was (I'm talking about number of people who saw it). It was a phenomenal success.

And The Sound of Music's worldwide success (as far as number of people who saw it) even leaves Avatar in the dust, so that's beyond reach, too.

EDIT: And both movies came out before home video, streaming, etc. It was a different world entirely back then.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-14 12:51:31

Oh sorry. I thought you were aiming collectively. My bad.

Posted by newintown 2013-01-14 12:51:55

"why are you so intent on diminishing the obvious success of this film?"

Not only do I not see anyone doing anything remotely of the kind, this response seems defensive and ignores the question posed: do you really need to focus on ticket sales to justify your love for the film? Isn't your opinion enough?

"People are invested in how much Les Mis makes because its success would pave the way for more movie musicals to be made."

That sort of happened after Chicago already, didn't it? With the awful Rent and Phantom of the Opera movies as a result (and the fun Hairspray movie).

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-14 12:55:56

Box office success doesn't equal quality and never has.

Sometimes good movies do well, other times they tank. Sometimes horrible movies do well, other times they tank.

But Hollywood loves a "hit," and they look to imitate success anyway they know how. If Les Miz, largely a through-sung "classical" period piece film, can bring in lots of people, producers and studios aren't as afraid to try another one out, simple as that.

Posted by DAME 2013-01-14 12:56:22

Carlos.. It was more the general sense I was getting. Bestie... I think the original poster had said at some point in this thread that she wasn't going by the "adjusted" dollar. But I am glad it has been mentioned in the discussion. Like you I am very pleased with the success of LM as well As MM for those very same reasons. I think the life of movie musicals will still be dependent on the success of the previous one for some time to come. So I am really glad les Miz is doing well. And Newsintown.. perhaps you should re read the thread.

Posted by theaternut 2013-01-14 13:03:15

Newintown;
Perhaps your eyes just skipped the many postings on this thread by metropolis10111?

Posted by newintown 2013-01-14 13:08:57

I confess that I didn't read all 10 previous pages.

My (serious) question still hasn't really been answered, but I see it makes some people quite sore...

Posted by Wildcard 2013-01-14 13:10:12

"That sort of happened after Chicago already, didn't it? With the awful Rent and Phantom of the Opera movies as a result (and the fun Hairspray movie)."

Yes but the musical genre always seems to be an iffy proposition to the studios. There is still a belief that the audience doesn't get it. We definitely have not seen the same kind of explosion superhero movies have received. Likewise, I still hear from people that they don't get musicals -- that it's unnatural for people to start singing in the middle of dialogue (or in the case of Les Mis, why the whole thing had to be sung). Yet these same people can readily accept a superhero flying into the sky battling aliens. That Les Mis is completely sung-through and successful makes it worthy to be cheered for its achievements.

Posted by DAME 2013-01-14 13:11:03

My apologies. Your question is "do you really need to focus on ticket sales to justify your love for the film? Isn't your opinion enough?

My opinion is enough. I loved the film. But for the purposes of this thread I find the discussion of ticket sales to be very informative and entertaining.

Posted by newintown 2013-01-14 13:20:53

I read that Mackintosh says he'll make a Miss Saigon movie if Les Miserables reaches a $500M global gross.

Dame, et al. - do you have a cutout thermometer in your living room, with the mercury marks rising to $500M?

Posted by DAME 2013-01-14 13:24:25

Ha! No.. but a cyber one would be fun.

Posted by Wildcard 2013-01-14 19:13:14

Posted by DAME 2013-01-14 19:23:53

Great read. However I do still think it is possible. But usually Variety is right on.

Posted by sueb1863 2013-01-14 19:30:55

They're remaking Annie *again*?? Aren't there already like three filmed versions of that show out there already?

Posted by jo 2013-01-14 20:50:53

Maybe Variety should have interviewed someone else other than Adam Shankman whose recent ROCK OF AGES was not well-received by critics or the box office?

Also, wouldn't the movie theme be more relevant in enticing regular audiences now? Mamma Mia! was set in glorious summertime Greece about a lighthearted young love story - that appeals to a certain demos ( female demos, young people) while Les Miserables probably skews towards a more mature audience ( and even possibly some male demos) and is relevant to some universal themes. Also, international audiences ( which now comprise the bulk of worldwide audiences) may have some distinct preferences ( I think Mamma Mia! and Les Miserables worked or working in overseas markets as it did or is doing in the USA/UK) in terms of musicals. Not too sure that a musical like WICKED will have as broad an appeal for the rest of the overseas viewers?

Posted by all that jazz 2013-01-14 21:07:36

I do believe there is still a big chance for musicals to be hits at the box office, the challenge is picking the right shows to film. Golden Age musicals were widely succesful mainly due to the fact that they reflected the times and their songs and musical numbers were considered the popular music of the time. As much as I love the Gene Kelly and Vincent Minnelli classics unfortunately our casual, minimalistic, and 'reality' loving generation does not appreciate monumental production numbers or classic family entertainment. Les Mis, In my opinion was filmed in a very modern style, the music while bordering on operatic still sounds current and the themes although originally written for a 19th century audience remain universal. I think there are some Sondheims and Webbers which with the right director and stars could be very successful. Also Wicked would be just SENSATIONAL!! As would Sunset Boulevard. Definitely not up for another Annie though...

Posted by jo 2013-01-14 21:48:19

A remake of the film noir Sunset Boulevard or a filmization of the stage musical version of Sunset Boulevard will likely attract a strong-sized movie audience. Hope someone has either one on his mind, if he were a Hollywood mover or shaker!

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-15 08:15:03

PHOTO DISCLAIMER: I thought it was funny so I had to share. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade by posting this to this thread. Lighten up and have a sense of humor. The reality is the film may very well become the highest grossing musical of all time if it continues to sell tickets the way it has been so far. So stop being so damned serious, get the stick out your butt, smile, enjoy life and have a nice day!

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-15 08:26:33

BOOTLEGGERS are so creative!

Posted by metropolis10111 2013-01-15 09:46:09

While yes I am glad to see a movie musical doing well I still stand my original posts that this will NOT be the highest grossing movie musical of all time. I think it's total world wide will come to about 330-350mil which is very good but still ways away, ticket sales wise, from the #1 spot. I think that the GG will maybe bump the box office a little they tend to help more the Drama picture winner because, lets face it, that is where typically the real Best Picture winner comes from.

I'm not trying to pee in anyones corn flakes I do hope this will get other musicals green lighted and on their way.

Posted by sabrelady 2013-01-15 16:30:47

You have to be careful because we don't live in a world where every stage production turns into a great film adaptation," Shankman said.
Tru dat. ( ALTHO IN HINDSIGHT)

Posted by Plum 2013-01-15 17:51:39

Adam Shankman, with words of wisdom.

Anyway Les Mis doesn't need to be the all-time highest anything to be a precedent for more musical films - it just needs to be a hit, which it looks like it'll achieve handily, no?

Posted by My Oh My 2013-01-15 18:13:24

As a long time 'Mis' nut, with both a sense of humor and as an even nuttier musical theatre fan, go ahead and pee pee into my Cheerios.

Nothing wrong with the humor, $$$$ talk, and #1 thing. I don't personally care about its rank financially or popularly, but at least people aren't committing the ultimate sin by making unsound, moronic arguments from ignorant perspectives.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with its success and very happy for Cammack and co. May they continue their success with the film version of Miss Saigon.

Posted by theaternut 2013-01-17 17:56:27

Kicking all kinds of ass in Europe.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-17 18:18:30

It should pass "Enchanted" over this weekend in U.S. grosses.

It's currently at $121.6 million (US) and an additional $115 million internationally.

That's a grand total of $236.7 million and going strong!

Posted by Dave19 2013-01-17 19:22:00

Producers should change their focus.

This is only about the first few weeks and the initial box office numbers, but we all know that box office success doesn't equal quality and never has.

Sometimes good movies do well, other times they tank. Sometimes horrible movies do well, other times they tank, as Best12bars beautifully said.

Reasonable box office successes can grow out to be bestsellers on dvd and even financial flops (Sleeping Beauty) can still be hugely popular on dvd more than 60 years later because of it's pristine quality and craftmanship.

When the initial response is over (let's go see the gladiator, should be fun, oh, he doesn't sing so well and then post on twitter; "went to Les Mis with girlfriend, Gladiator could not sing, I want my money back", etc), it really comes down to the true quality. Are people floored by the ability of the actor playing Javert of combining acting with singing enough to have the desire to watch it again? Or recommend it to other people? When I speak for myself, I loved the film, but have to admit they did somethings right, but other things terribly wrong, which makes me not want to see it again immediately. Casting Russel Crowe as Javert might ruin the glorious future of this film. Certain choices of Hugh Jackman too (holding wrong notes for too long and sounds strained and forced in the weirdest moments felt fake, which kicked me out of the story at many points). I will buy the dvd but I will definitely skip certain parts (Bring him home, Stars, etc).

I really believe that people who love action hero movies would also appreciate movie musicals much more with the right people in it. My brother for example (a big action hero fan) did not appreciate Russel Crowe (and Hugh Jackman at certain points) at all, but he (surprisingly) loved Aaron Tveit and he knows nothing about musicals. He even downloaded the songs "Do you hear the people sing" and "red and black" the next day, because those songs/scenes were sung/acted in a way that really got to him. Producers need to think of this effect. This is what lives on in the world for many years to come. I can name a handful of actors right now which could have caused the same effect with the role of Javert. This it what people want and this goes from mouth to mouth.

My point is, they need to be very careful about this and realize that they are cutting themselves in the fingers. All these little things are what keeps a film going for years.
The initial box office numbers say nothing. They could be reasonably high for the wrong reasons.

Posted by jimmycurry01 2013-01-17 23:40:06

Producers do not care if it is for the right reasons or the wrong reasons that the box office numbers are high. Producers just want to see the money coming in. It is all business to them, period.

Reissuing DVDs throughout the years does add to the movie's grosses, but only with great marketing. Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney movie, and it is actually a great example to illustrate this point. Sleeping Beauty does not make money every time it is rereleased simply because of its outstanding quality or craftsmanship, which it does have. The marketing of the Disney Princess brand combined the the fantastic Disney Vault marketing ploy is what truly lies behind the film making big bucks every time it gets released.

We are all theatre people, and like the actors and directors of these movies, we wish making a movie was all about making great art, but it is not. Making a movie is about making a product that can quickly be capitalized on. It is about making as much money back as quickly as can be done. Can a movie be 100% artistically fulfilling, tank at the box office and still make $70 million on home video over the course of 60 years? Sure, but no movie company wants to wait that long for it to happen, if it happens at all.

On a side note, I do think people are seeing Les Miz for the right reasons. I do think a number of people are returning to see it at least a second time, and I believe that the many artistic awards it is being given have been earned because of its quality and craftsmanship. I am certain that it will enjoy a very nice initial home video release and that with the proper marketing it will sell very well for its 50th anniversary in the future.

Posted by Dave19 2013-01-18 07:35:18

Is still think that quality brings in more money than any other thing in the world.

Every little tweet as described above will prevent 10 of his friends from seeing the film.

And about the wrong reasons, it's naive of the producers to not care about that. They can lure in people with all kinds of (generation specific) names, but if they can not deliver a great performance or live up to te expectations, it will work against the film. And against bringing in money.

Ps. Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney film too. The quality is just outstanding. Today's generation has no idea who Bill Shirley is (voice of prince Philip and movie star at the time) but they can tell that he is a magnificent singer and actor. Now, more than 60 years later, people are still in awe of the performance and buy the dvd. Besides the marketing of course, but that only holds up if the performances actually live up to it.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-18 07:42:15

Sleeping Beauty had a huge star attached to it. His name was Walt Disney. It was anything but a "no name" film.

That's all the star power and box office pull it needed back then.

You forget that "stars" aren't always in front of the camera. There were a handful of star directors and producers that could generate big box office on their names alone. They had some flops, too, (as do most movie stars), but names like Hitchock, Disney, Frank Capra, John Ford ... they did the job as well as any actor does.

Posted by Jay Lerner-Z 2013-01-18 07:59:50

I'm not sure I know what Dave19 is talking about, but I doubt that the producers give a hoot about what people sixty years from now will think. They want their moolah now, and I imagine they're quite satisfied with their haul so far.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-18 08:24:53

Very few (if any) producers and studios make films for posterity. Up until the last few decades, they weren't even preserving them. They were meant to be current "events," make a ton of money, and that's it. Some of them were buried in the ground in great vaults in the Midwest. Others were chopped up (original negatives) for television airings, to allow for commercials. Others were destroyed in warehouse fires, or just rotted away on forgotten shelves.

Only (really) since the '90s has there been any widespread movement to preserve and honor film as an enduring art form.

Again, I admire Dave19's passion, but he isn't in tune with the history or realities of the film industry.

Posted by metropolis10111 2013-01-18 09:13:23

The initial box office weekend is such a huge factor for studios because that is the weekend that they get the highest percentage of the receipts. While these are not the actual numbers the idea goes like this:

Opening weekend the studio gets 80% of the money made over the weekend, the remaining 20% is what the theater showing the movie gets

The next weekend that number goes to 70%- 30%
The third weekend it might be more like 60%-40%

The film is still making money, but it's not AS much for the studio which is why allot of ad campaigns fall off after the first 2-3 weeks. It just dons't make fanatical sense for a studio to keep promoting it.

As for DVD sales adding to the bottom line. With so many people just downloading content illegally these days that profit number is a joke. Even on here you'll get people saying "I can't afforded to by (insert album name here) till payday can some one help me out" It's not a total dead market but people wait till things are discounted heavily which again makes the profits of the DVD very small.

Posted by Dave19 2013-01-18 14:13:31

I guess you guys are right, and they do not care.

That's difficult for me to understand, especially when you realize that truly great performances will live on forever. Nowadays we do know that films are being preserved, so it's kind of important.

I would like to understand where this comes from. Why do filmmakers nowadays settle for such performances? Why are they so scared to go for quality instead of names? Why do they know for sure that quality will bring in no money? Why do they have so little trust in the audiences and themselves? Is it the filmmakers fault or the audience's fault that they settle for this instead of quality? Why do I feel that such a performance would not even be taken seriously 50 years ago? Will the new generation grow up with this low standard of quality and cast people that sing like Crowe in this kind of roles too in 50 years? I know that Tom Hooper did not really understand this artform before seing the show, but I had hoped Cameron and his team would fight for this a bit more. Or were they too intimidated by the names too?

I know this, all those millions of reactions and tweets about Crowe did not do the box office good. Even if someone like Anne Hathaway gave a great performance, if the next scene has such a quality drop it does not sustain the quality of the film. Therefore so many people come home with mixed feelings.

There is a big difference between "getting away with it" and "true quality". Getting away with it is easy nowadays, but let's raise the bar a bit shall we?

Posted by metropolis10111 2013-01-18 14:16:18

Because there is very little money left in forever only now. Look how long it look for those Disney films to actually make money and there are some that still haven't.

Posted by Dave19 2013-01-18 14:25:30

"...which is why allot of ad campaigns fall off after the first 2-3 weeks. It just dons't make fanatical sense for a studio to keep promoting it."

So after those 2-3 weeks it's all about word of mouth. The film will lead it's own life and the names do not count anymore. What is good and what is bad about the film? Do the good things win it from the bad things? Failed scenes/vocals/casting will stay like that forever. What am I to tell my kids in 30 years? "Yes, but he was a name at the time"?. What if they ask me "were the no better people for the role at all?". What should I say? "Yes, but the producers did not want to see them"...... "why"?

Which brings me to the next point; How on earth can you cast a role like that, without seeing each and every possible candidate in an elaborate audition first? It is very dumb to see 1 audition of 1 person and then say "I could not imagine this role being played by anyone else"........
Of course you can't if you refuse to see who else is out there! This tunnel vision, especially in casting makes me really mad.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-18 14:38:41

I know this, all those millions of reactions and tweets about Crowe did not do the box office good. Even if someone like Anne Hathaway gave a great performance, if the next scene has such a quality drop it does not sustain the quality of the film. Therefore so many people come home with mixed feelings.

I'm going to have to agree with this. This is exactly how I felt seeing the film, and I went to see it twice to see if my feelings would change. I would get so caught up in a really exceptional performance from either Samantha Barks or Eddie Redmayne and then Crowe or Seyfried would open their mouths and I would just think, "Ugh...this could have been soooo much better" and I don't mean they had to belt it out or sing it as a broadway performer..just better, period.

Posted by DAME 2013-01-18 14:44:14

It is all about money. All of it. And no one is pretending it isn't. Look... in many places R. Crowe is a far bigger star than everyone else in the film put together. And there is a good chance they probably couldn't get the film financed without his name attached to it.

As far as how the film will be viewed years from now.. who knows. It is all changing rapidly. Media keeps changing. the way we have access to films keep changing. We are more immediate with the way we get to see things and I think that will all affect how we come to judge things in the future. Right now this film has legs and is a huge success. To deny that or try to poo poo it is to reveal your own agenda.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-18 14:47:19

Keep in mind, when you're talking about money and box office receipts, you're talking about facts and figures.

When you're talking about quality, you're talking about ideas and opinions. Not everyone agrees with you (or me or anyone else). Not everybody else shares your values of what is good and bad.

I'm sure most (probably not all) producers care about "quality," which is an opinion. They definitely care if the movie does well. That is a direct reflection of audience satisfaction, even if it's not a reflection of quality in some people's eyes. For others, audience satisfaction equals quality, and they're not interested in anything else said.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-18 14:51:59

I agree with DAME in that what will be perceived at "good" 50 years from now, who knows?

There are a lot of great films (or at least great when I first saw them) that don't hold up well at all today. There are a lot of so-so films from the past that actually play much better today.

Nobody can predict that.

Posted by songanddanceman2 2013-01-18 15:17:14

'Is still think that quality brings in more money than any other thing in the world.'

Tell that to MGM, Showgirls is one of their highest selling DVDs ever

Posted by Jay Lerner-Z 2013-01-18 17:00:32

At least it wasn't like the Phantom movie, where the cast weren't stars or good singers.

Posted by theaternut 2013-01-18 19:37:54

Jay; This is a Oscar nominated, Golden Globe Winner, box office hit. Phantom doesn't even begin to compare in any way.

Posted by metropolis10111 2013-01-18 19:44:37

Evita was a Golden Globe wining oscar nominated movie as well....

Posted by Jay Lerner-Z 2013-01-18 19:55:02

Well they're both movies based on extremely successful West End/Broadway shows, and both produced by Cameron Mackintosh...so they compare in some ways. That was kinda my point, anyway...at least it's not Phantom.

I loved the Les Mis movie, by the way, and don't necessarily agree with the naysayers.

Posted by theaternut 2013-01-18 20:09:25

@Jay. Got it. You are right.

Posted by StageManager2 2013-01-18 20:20:36

At least it wasn't like the Phantom movie, where the cast weren't stars or good singers.

Les Miz actors couldn't sing, either, save for one or two exceptions. They massacred the score. It was painful to get through the movie.

Posted by Iris Chacon 2013-01-18 20:26:48

I loved it. Except for Crowe I am very happy they did not cast legit singers. That would have been pretty but boring. They obviously made the right choice since it is resonating and being loved by so many people that normally would not tolerate this kind of thing.

Posted by theaternut 2013-01-18 20:47:33

"I know this, all those millions of reactions and tweets about Crowe did not do the box office good. "

I disagree with this. It might have even helped. Curiosity killed the cat.

Posted by ggersten 2013-01-18 23:50:18

>>I would like to understand where this comes from. Why do filmmakers nowadays settle for such performances? Why are they so scared to go for quality instead of names? Why do they know for sure that quality will bring in no money? Why do they have so little trust in the audiences and themselves? Is it the filmmakers fault or the audience's fault that they settle for this instead of quality? Why do I feel that such a performance would not even be taken seriously 50 years ago?<<

Well, such performances in musicals have been around for decades - even more than 50 years ago. You apparently never saw the film version of Guys and Dolls with Marlon Brandon "singing" - or the film version of Paint Your Wagon with Clint Eastwood AND Lee Marvin "singing" - and of course Lucy in "Mame". Even people who should have sounded at least okay - Rosalind Russell in Gypsy - haven't sounded so good. Even when they cast non-singing stars like Peter O'Toole in Man of La Mancha who were dubbed, the dubbing voice sounded awful. Was Twiggy really the best person to be in "The Boyfriend"?

Posted by ggersten 2013-01-18 23:51:54

double post. sorry.