Printer Friendly - Who's next to get a B'Way theater named after them?

Who's next to get a B'Way theater named after them?
Posted by Playbilly 2012-11-06 14:31:21

I've been mulling this for a while. Recently we've gotten the Neil Simon, August Wilson and Stephen Sondheim. Who do you think will be the next person to get a B'Way house re-named in their honor? Producer like Hal Prince? Director like Mike Nichols? Beloved star like Angela Lansbury? Or (gasp)a foreigner like ALW? Would they name a theater after someone who has a regional or local venue after them (Hammerstein)?

My bets are on Edward Albee, Arthur Miller and Mike Nichols.

Thoughts?

Posted by JoeKv99 2012-11-06 14:39:48

Perez Hilton.

Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2012-11-06 14:42:17

Arthur Miller, Harold Prince, Mary Martin.

Posted by taboo123 2012-11-06 14:47:51

Arthur Fonzarelli, Prince, Ricky Martin

Posted by theaterfan862 2012-11-06 14:53:31

I hope the Broadway Theater is renamed the Hal Prince Theater.

Posted by AnythingGoes23 2012-11-06 15:02:40

It is a sin Ethel Merman has no theatre named after her, The Broadway should be hers.... Winter Garden should be Hals after staging the legendary West Side Story there

Posted by thevolleyballer 2012-11-06 15:08:54

The Albee has a nice ring to it.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2012-11-06 15:17:36

The Wildhorn.

Posted by Quiche2 2012-11-06 15:32:34

Bernadette Peters
Kristin Chenoweth
Angela Lansbury
Patti LuPone
Andrew Lloyd Webber

Just my opinion.

Posted by Jonwo 2012-11-06 15:33:26

Harold Prince I think will get the Broadway or the Winter Garden named after him but I wonder if they'll honour him while he's alive like Roundabout did with Sondheim?

I think Andrew Lloyd Webber will eventually get a theatre named after him but not for a long time, same with Cameron Mackintosh.

Posted by taboo123 2012-11-06 15:40:21

The Channing Theater
The Lupone Theater
The Manuel-Miranda Theater

and of course

The Morgan James Theater

Posted by ACL2006 2012-11-06 15:46:39

in time, I think the Majestic will get renamed the Andrew Lloyd-Webber Theater. Maybe during Phantom's 50th anniversary....

Posted by Quiche2 2012-11-06 15:47:31

^^

True.

Posted by Wynbish 2012-11-06 15:51:18

The Raitt?

Posted by iluvtheatertrash 2012-11-06 15:54:11

Ethel Merman deserves the next one, hands down.

Posted by tazber 2012-11-06 15:54:31

Obviously me. It's a done deal, they're just waiting until right time to make the announcement.

Posted by egghumor 2012-11-06 16:02:16

Morgan James?

Irra Petina?

Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2012-11-06 16:08:47

Ethel Merman
Mary Martin
Julie Harris

Posted by jjackson 2012-11-06 16:17:24

Arthur Miller. Tennessee Williams. Or perhaps Oscar Hammerstein, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter. Without their brilliant imaginations and talent, there would be no American musical theatre. And probably no Ethel Merman and Mary Martin.

Posted by bdn223 2012-11-06 16:19:17

I completly agree that eventually upon the X-anniversary of phantom the Majestic will be renamed the webber, but I also think it will only happen once he's dead, since the Broadway community hates his ego and they most certainly don't want to inflate it anymore. Phantom will likly outlive its creator, but if it doesn't I don't think the majestic will be renamed the Webber.

The Palace will never be renamed due to its historic nature of being the most significant vaudeville theater, as well as nothing sounds better than "Now playing at the Palace".

The next theater to likly be renamed I think will be either the Winter Garden or Broadway, much more likly in my opinion that it will be the Winter Garden, but it won't be changed until Mamma Mia closes.

In who I think will receive the honor though I would go with:

Arthur Laurent's
Arthur Miller
Hammerstein II
Harold Prince
Hamlisch

This is a long way down the road but
Tracy Letts

Actors (extremely rare but these two are legends and have been on broadway for over 50 years and not many can say that):
James Earl Jones
Angela Lansbury

Posted by Playbilly 2012-11-06 16:44:44

I think Merman's time has passed. Probably Martin, too.

Posted by Kad 2012-11-06 16:51:27

I think we'll see corporate names first. Maybe someday we'll get the Frito-Lay's Presents: The Hammerstein Theater.

Posted by JRybka 2012-11-06 16:52:13

I think we should stop renaming them and just build some new ones! We need some NEW theaters. Or else find the ones that have been blocked or boarded up and redo them.

Posted by Quiche2 2012-11-06 16:52:31

Kad, Lol. That made me laugh. Lol.

Posted by JHerman5 2012-11-06 16:54:18

If Second Stage ever moves into the Helen Hayes I bet they'll rename it.

Posted by newintown 2012-11-06 16:58:50

Some truly weird names here, but one that makes me wonder most is - Marvin Hamlisch?

He wrote the music to 5 shows - one huge hit, one modest success, and three flops.

Before a record like that, you'd need to give some credit to Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Kander & Ebb, Stephen Schwartz, Bock & Harnick, Jerry Herman, Charles Strouse, Frank Loesser, Jule Styne, Comden & Green, Leonard Bernstein, and maybe Cy Coleman.

Posted by tazber 2012-11-06 17:17:29

Stephen Schwartz really doesn't deserve to be in that list.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2012-11-06 17:24:57

AFter Eight

Jim Colyer

Posted by Mr Roxy 2012-11-06 19:58:18

Ethel Merman
Mary Martin
That hack Harold Prince

Posted by FindMe12 2012-11-06 20:18:17

Nor would Steven probably allow them to name a theater named after him. He has done a lot for Musical theater though not as much as some but I would prefer a theater to be named after him then some of the people that have been mentioned. I could see the New Amsterdam being renamed the mackintosh seeing that its a Disney theater.

Posted by CapnHook 2012-11-06 20:22:57

Tennessee Williams, Harold Prince and Arthur Miller, first and foremost.

Edward Albee and Ethel Merman, secondly.

Thomas Meehan, Jerry Herman and Stephen Schwartz, eventually.

If they ever name a theatre after Ethel Merman, it'd have to be a large house like the Broadway or Winter Garden. Naming a smaller house the Ethel Merman Theatre would be an insult.

Posted by Phantom of London 2012-11-06 20:23:43

So many worthy names who are worthy of the honor of a Broadway theatre named after them, but not enough theatres?

Anyway people calling that the Broadway or Winter Garden should be named after x, need to think again, the Shubert organization don't name their theatres after Broadway celebrities.

Posted by CapnHook 2012-11-06 20:32:07

It is insulting to use "celebrity" as the one and only adjective to describe a lot of those mentioned who deserve to have theatres named after them.

For instance, Tennessee Williams was a celebrity in his day. Now several years after his passing, his work continues to be heavily produced around the world, especially on Broadway. Yes, he was a celebrity, but he is also now a legend. He has a lasting and appreciated legacy. His work in theatre has heavily contributed to the success of theatre as an art form.

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2012-11-06 22:46:45

I'd like to see Kander and Ebb have a theatre named after them, sometime in the future. The Kander-Ebb Theatre has a nice ring to it.

I do second Tennessee Williams receiving this honor. When I was younger I did not appreciate the brilliance of his works; now I'm going through his theatrical catalogue, reading his plays when possible (and his short stories are fantastic too.) This just proves the saying "with age comes wisdom." :-p

Posted by Citygirl.grace 2012-11-06 23:42:50

I say Marvin Hamlisch or Hammerstein.

Posted by Phantom of London 2012-11-07 12:41:24

"It is insulting to use "celebrity" as the one and only adjective to describe a lot of those mentioned who deserve to have theatres named after them.

For instance, Tennessee Williams was a celebrity in his day. Now several years after his passing, his work continues to be heavily produced around the world, especially on Broadway. Yes, he was a celebrity, but he is also now a legend. He has a lasting and appreciated legacy. His work in theatre has heavily contributed to the success of theatre as an art form."

I agree at the time of writing the post I thought 'theatre celebrity' was a badly worded term, but my mind run a blank at the time and I do think legends is a mre generous term.

However that doesn't get away from the point that The Shubert Organization doesn't name their theaters after legends.

Posted by JoeKv99 2012-11-07 12:46:05

I hear they are announcing today the "Mitt Romney Theater." It will exclusively house shows that no one actually likes but stick around forever.

Posted by Playbilly 2012-11-07 13:00:08

Mamma Mia!, Joe. That joke was Scandalous. And a little Wicked.

Posted by amoni 2012-11-07 13:34:19

"I completly agree that eventually upon the X-anniversary of phantom the Majestic will be renamed the webber, but I also think it will only happen once he's dead, since the Broadway community hates his ego and they most certainly don't want to inflate it anymore. Phantom will likly outlive its creator, but if it doesn't I don't think the majestic will be renamed the Webber."

Who are you to speak for the Broadway Community? And I hope you're not talking about some anonymous theater board posters as anywhere near the theater community. Webber deserves The Majestic without question as he also kept the Winter Garden filled for twenty years. However, it's obvious The Shubert Organization is more interested in fluffing their own egos than honoring those who actually put asses in the seats.

Posted by bobs3 2012-11-07 14:21:13

The Anneliese van der Pol Theatre!

Posted by Wilmingtom 2012-11-07 14:34:42

Music Box = Irving Berlin

Posted by sundayclothes2 2012-11-07 15:46:38

The Merrick

Posted by zamedy 2012-11-09 22:43:36

According to what I've read, at one time (in the late 70s or early 80s) they (and I really don't remember who 'they' were) were close to naming a theatre after Merman. Apparently when she heard WHAT theatre it was, she was insulted because it was a very worn down piece of crap. Her assessment was spot on because it was demolished a short time later.

In my opinion, she is deserving of one based on the number of iconic Broadway hits alone she introduced. Opening night at 'The Merm' has a nice ring to it.

Posted by Scarywarhol 2012-11-10 00:33:47

Webber is an insufferable idiot savant, appropriately disdained in the Broadway community, and he will never have a Broadway theatre named after him.

Posted by jnb9872 2012-11-10 10:19:10

I'm surprised it hasn't mentioned yet, but to me the most likely next naming would the 25th Anniversary of Phantom, and the Majestic being re-named for Hal Prince. "The Prince Theatre" is pretty objectively the most natural sounding name of all the names mentioned, no?

Posted by Playbilly 2012-11-10 10:45:00

Anybody for Bob Fosse?

Gower and Marge Champion? I like saying, "Headed off to the Gower this evening."

Posted by amoni 2012-11-10 17:54:22

Well, we have the The Lunt-Fontanne, why not the Fosse-Verdon?

Posted by Wishing Only Wounds 2012-11-10 19:19:51

Jerry Herman

Posted by Dollypop 2012-11-10 20:20:25

The Swit

Posted by TheGirlUpstairs 2012-11-10 21:36:06

Hammerstein already has a street named after him, so I think it's unlikely that he would get a theater as well.

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2012-11-10 21:39:40

The Keenan-Bolgers

Posted by Bettyboy72 2012-11-10 23:40:26

I prefer when theatres aren't named after people.

Posted by mybigsplash 2012-11-10 23:47:08

I'm sure the next theatre will be renamed the Delta Airlines American Express Diet Pepsi theatre.

Posted by justoldbill 2012-11-11 15:42:59

The Agnes de Mille Theatre sounds nice.