Page: 1

Thank you, London

luvbrdway
Stand-by
Stand-by
Thank you, London#1
Posted: 5/1/09 at 9:31am
My husband I returned Monday from 6 days in London. Our first time, and loved every minute of it. Didn't hurt the weather was perfect! Went to three shows: Oliver, Hairspray, and Mamma Mia. My husband (who pretty much just tolerates my musical theatre obsession), had a great time at all three shows. We had planned on a matinee of Blood Brothers one day, but couldn't tear ourselves away from St. Pauls. On a scale from 1-10, Londoners were a 9 - very warm and gracious. Love your tube-never waited more than 2 minutes for a train. Oh, and the Haagen Daaz carts at intermission - LOVE IT!!!! I think my only complaint is your streets - do you know what a straight line is?????

Thanks again for the hospitality. I would go back again in a heartbeat.
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Thank you, London#2
Posted: 5/1/09 at 6:54pm
Great to hear you and your hubby had such a good time. :) I know what you mean about the lack of straight lines - I always feel the same after a trip to NYC, but I end up loving it when I visit London, it adds a lot of character and makes you appreciate 'The Knowledge' of cabbies all the more!

Hope you do make it back soon for more hospitality - there's so many more great shows you could drag your other half to!
Seen some shows in my time....
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thank you, London#2
Posted: 5/2/09 at 3:32am
Thank you for your kind and generous comments luvbrdway.

One of the regulars on here will particularly appreciate your comments about the Underground since he helps operate it.

Many of the road plans over here date back to pre-history when they were formed as tracks to get from the place that was useful for growing crops to the place that was useful for pasturing cows avoiding the forest inbetween. The Romans tried to change that by building straight roads but after they left we just went back to our old higgeldy piggeldy ways.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thank you, London#3
Posted: 5/2/09 at 4:16am
there's nothing straight about us re: Thank you, London
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Thank you, London#4
Posted: 5/2/09 at 5:47am
Oh sam re: Thank you, London

Plus straight roads make you look far drunker than you are.

Glad you enjoyed your time here though.
luvbrdway
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Thank you, London#5
Posted: 5/2/09 at 1:34pm
I forgot to ask this question: Do you not use the letter "z"? For instance, organization, you spell it organisation.

Also, does the younger (under 35) average Brit like the monarchy? You all spend a heap of money keeping them in the lifestyle to which they are accustomed. I hoped the subject would be brought up at "Speakers Corner" in Hyde Park, but they were all talking about the 50% tax and Christians vs Muslims. I must say, that was an entertaining group.

Last question: When we go back, we want to see some of England outside of London, and also visit Whales (we both have ancestors from there). Would we be wise or stupid to rent a car? NO WAY would I try to drive in London - my hands are clammy just thinking about it.

Sorry - didn't mean to turn this into a travel thread. I am so anxious to hear how "Sister Act" is received. I also want to come back and see Phantom in that gorgeous theatre.

Updated On: 5/2/09 at 01:34 PM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thank you, London#6
Posted: 5/2/09 at 1:37pm
On drunken roads I get home quicker.
On straight roads I just richocette off the walls and end up back in the bar!
I love our curvy little streets.

I, too, am glad you had a great time in our city.
Get saving and come back soon x

Updated On: 5/2/09 at 01:37 PM
Mazz0626
Understudy
Understudy
re: Thank you, London#7
Posted: 5/2/09 at 5:23pm
I think 'z' got substituted for 's' in American spelling the same time you lost all your 'u's, and for the same reason - to make it simpler and easier. Still bemused as to where you got 'obligated', though. 'Obliged' is the short, easy... correct word.

I think the monarchy are a nice tradition, I like having them around. They're a great tourist attraction. It would be nice if they were a bit more self-sufficient, but I feel better paying for the upkeep of the Royal Family than I do the dodgy expenses claims of crooked(that would be most of them) MPs.

I would not recommend driving in London. I've done it a few times with satnav, the first time I nearly screamed - all I'd told it to do was avoid the M25! Though, from observation only, I'd rather drive in London than New York. At least London junctions have dedicated times in the lights for you to turn. Depending on how rural your Welsh relatives are, Wales might be a LOT easier to drive.

Oh and to be partially on topic, I'm really looking forward to Sister Act too!
Updated On: 5/2/09 at 05:23 PM
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thank you, London#8
Posted: 5/2/09 at 5:29pm
"does the younger (under 35) average Brit like the monarchy?"

I'm above that age range but only by single figures so I'm going to answer re: Thank you, London.

I'm a great believer in the institution of the monarchy because the monarch can over-rule a corrupt but democratically elected government. So what happenned in 1930s Germany or present day Zimbabwe could not happen here. For example, if Gordon Brown refuses to hold a general election next year then the Queen can insist he does and, if necessary, use her status as head of the armed forces to impose her will that the British people elect their government at least every five years.

As for costs, the monarchy costs every UK tax payer 1 per year, which in total would be the equivalent sum needed to build one school. When I see the much larger sums of money politicians waste on poor decision making (as I do in my offline career) it is them that I despair of and not the monarchy.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thank you, London#9
Posted: 5/2/09 at 5:50pm
"Love your tube-never waited more than 2 minutes for a train."

Scripps is right that sentence fills me with such joy, theatre in comparison takes a bit of a backseat, great choice of shows though.

People can rightfully slag off the royal family collectively, but they cannot slate The Queen as she has been a great ambassador for the country and has never but a foot wrong.
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Thank you, London#10
Posted: 5/2/09 at 7:50pm
We use the letter Z in words such as 'zoo' but don't tend to stick it in the middle of other words too much.

As for the monarchy, I am neither younger than 35 nor particularly average, but I know quite a lot of peeps who are(!) and we seem to hold similar views: the Royal Family are a great source of entertainment in the UK and they generate enough tourist income to be worthwhile...(for now) re: Thank you, London

I don't see the point of driving in London, but regional transportation is a bit of a crapshoot, esp in the evenings. (I tried to arrange a night out approx one hour away from home in either Bristol or Birmingham and found I wouldn't be able to get back on public transport much before 6.00-7.00am the next morning)! :O
Seen some shows in my time....
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thank you, London#11
Posted: 5/2/09 at 8:09pm
Tiggosaurus can you not overgeneralise, whoops....... sorry..... I meant overgeneralize!
Updated On: 5/2/09 at 08:09 PM
luvbrdway
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Thank you, London#12
Posted: 5/2/09 at 9:04pm
Scripps, I had no idea the Queen had that much power. I really must learn more about your country. The whole Church of England/Henry VIII stuff fascinates me.

My husband and I laughed each time we took the tube - "Please mind the gap. Please this, please that." So pleasant, unlike the guys in NYC who I can't understand a word they say and are so rude. Oh, and maybe I just was oblivious, but I don't think I heard the "f" bomb more than twice on our trip. Is "bloody" the same as that word?

Back on topic: I'm sorry we arrived after "Zorro" closed, and sad we arrived before "Sister Act". But my very dignified accountant hubby laughed 'til he cried in "Hairspray" and danced and sang along at the end of "Mamma Mia", so I think we saw the right shows!
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thank you, London#13
Posted: 5/3/09 at 6:44am
"I had no idea the Queen had that much power."

In theory yes, but if the constitution is running smoothly then she should never have to use it. The monarch is there as the ultimate guarantor of civil freedoms and liberties and so for that reason I'm happy to pay 1 per year for it.

"maybe I just was oblivious, but I don't think I heard the "f" bomb more than twice on our trip."

I thought the same when I was in Washington DC! On the flight back I was sat next to an English Professor of English Literature at an American University and I mentioned this, and was given the response "But you've got to remember that swearing is part of your cultural heritage."

"Is "bloody" the same as that word?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thank you, London#14
Posted: 5/3/09 at 7:01am
"Bloody" is very mild. I'd use it around my parents and niece, but nothing stronger. The "f" word is the second strongest individual word, and it's taken me quite some years to get used to the idea that my sister doesn't mind me saying it. (For some reason, I find it MUCH easier to swear around friends than family. XD) You either were oblivious, or you were in some very genteel areas; as a country, I'd say we swear a TON. O_O

As for the monarchy, I'm not a fan, but I'm hardly opposed to them. Just leave 'em to it and hope they don't do anything especially dumb. re: Thank you, London

I also like our raggedy roads; while even a tourist can give directions in NYC, it's much more fun to say "go down this road, take the third road off the roundabout, then take the second real road on the right, and don't be misled by that wide alleyway". Since I first started venturing on buses and walking instead of endless tube rides, I've become fascinated with the above-ground geography of London, and it still holds a buttload of awesome surprises. :3
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Thank you, London#15
Posted: 5/3/09 at 7:35am
I hadn't looked at this thread for a while..little did I realise it had become a discussion on the merits of the Royal Family.

It's quite simple..no system based on an accident of birth has any place in the modern world...any arguments based on tourism, cost etc are irrelevant.

(and I'm usually quite reasonable..)

turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Thank you, London#16
Posted: 5/3/09 at 12:28pm
To go back to your want to visit Wales. I would take the train. You can get from London Paddington to Cardiff Central in about 2 hours and just sit and watch the country fly by. You could always rent a car there if you want to go further.

I love London too, luckily I only live 90 minutes away but everything just seems to work. The underground goes everywhere and leaving a club at 3AM I can just flag down a taxi to go to my hotel and the driver will know where it is. You can even get a bus to Waterloo at 4AM (It was azmazing being able to go from my friend's house to Paris with only 1 change!).
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Thank you, London#17
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:07am
I'm 25 and I personally bloody love the monarchy. Not in a political sense (I don't understand any of that), I just think they're lovely. They strike me as a bit ungrateful... if I was a monarch, I'd wear my crown all the time just to let people know it. Also, why go around in that rubbish black car when you have a golden carriage? I'd also make Buckingham Palace a bit more palace-like, with a few turrets and spires. Princess Michael of Kent is my favourite, largely because her and her ridiculous husband are so dogged in their determination to cling to their titles. I'm also a bit of a Prince Andrew fan. I saw him at the polo when I was about six and thought he looked a bit like my dad. Every now and again since then I've fantasised about there being some kind of undiscovered blood connection to the royals. I think the only things my family have in common with the Windsors are a questionable taste in hats, talking to plants and f*cking our cousins.

By the way, if you come back, I'd chuck in a bit of Edinburgh too. It's gorgeous, and the beautiful St Andrews is only about half an hour away on the train. Just the train journey's worth it... it goes right along the coastal rocks and in the summer you can see seals.