'Priscilla-The Musical' Plays Last Performance 28th March 2009

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
....thats what we'll be reading soon if the new law that our ridiculous govenment want to bring in soon gets the green light that will stop all references to homophobic behaviour and references in the theatre, in cinemas and on TV.
'Priscilla' contains some the West Ends best bitchyness and camp asides ever seen, that alone will close it down!
Any scripts with derogitory references to gays and lesbians wil be heavily edited.
There is now a large campaign building up that is lead by Rowan Atkinson.
The British sense of humour is loved world wide but this new law could see the end of such famed names as Mr Humphries from 'Are You Being Served?' and his cry of Í'm Free!', 'Little Britain' and its 'I'm the only gay in the village' catchphrase and 1000s of others old and new.
Panto dames will be a thing of the past!
Etc, etc, etc. The list is endless.
Political correctness gone totaly over the top!
What next?
Updated On: 3/23/09 at 06:09 PM
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This somehow reminds me of Big Brother. If this show were on Broadway then this would never happen. Hell, if this show were on Broadway the core group of people who might be offended by such things might end up being the demographic that would be buying the most tickets to this show.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is censorship gone horribly wrong! Next we'll have a Ministry of Truth, only 25 years later than Orwell predicted.

To quote the genius that is Lopez and Marx:
"If everyone stopped being so PC, maybe we could live in (cute head dips) harmony"
Updated On: 3/24/09 at 07:32 PM
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Government gone mad...there's no point in generalising a ban, you have to look at this from a situational point of view. Priscilla is such a good thing for the gay community and by banning things like it because of homophobic jokes would cause more harm than good.

I don't understand why people don't research what they're going to see. Look up the basic plot points and then you won't be offended when you go, simple as. And if on reading up on the show, you are offended, don't book and don't complain.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
LotteTBS138 Profile PhotoLotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
legallysam, I don't think it's about offending the gay community as dumbass straight homophobes thinking that someone will be magically turned gay with exposure... like catching the flu or some crap.

That is pretty pathetic! And I'm sure Hairspray will close unless they get MB to play Link or something!

But I think this started a while ago, especially when I saw a male playing Gary in Avenue Q. Oh gosh, that means Ave Q will have to be re-written too with this lame law!!! EEEeeeeeek!!!!
I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But, surely the difference with Priscilla is that, even though there are SOME homophobic jokes, in general the whole show is about celebrating Homosexuals, transgenders, drag queen's etc.
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
This law can't possibly be passed and I'm fairly confident it won't. I can't think of a single example of a theatrical production showing homophobia in a favourable light. If there are any, they'd probably be torn apart by the public and critics alike and would never reach a wide audience. This law would be too insulting to theatregoers in its assumption that 'F*ck off faggots' or whatever is sprayed onto Priscilla will incite audiences to go an vandalise the homes and vehicles of gay people. As a show, Priscilla has very little depth, but much of the depth the characters have is their dignity in the face of adversity. In order for this to be conveyed, the adveristy has to be addressed, making ignorance and homophobia necessary to the show. There are too many examples of shows, plays, movies and TV shows with strong and proud gay heroes. It is an insult to disregard the animosity that these people too often find themselves up against. Would they ever ban racism or bullying from the telly? F*cking ridiculous.
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
Does anyone have a link to a copy of this proposed law, or an article detailing it? I doubt that anything as stupid as banning any homophobic references would get passed or even suggested, as in lots of pieces, the vilification of homophobia relies on presenting it beforehand, as it the case, I'm assuming from your description, in Priscilla. Banning any homophobic reference at all sounds too far, even for a 'PC' crazy government, maybe some people have just misinterpreted the contents of the law?
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its not a new law, it's the suggestion of the removal of the "free speech" clause in the current anti-homophobia legislation, which would make it a "serious crime to use any language which could be construed as offensive to gay men and women".

Here's an opinion by Christopher Biggins from the Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1164043/CHRISTOPHER-BIGGINS-Will-lock-playing-Widow-Twankey.html

And another from the Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/5028652/Comedic-gay-bashing-isnt-funny-but-it-shouldnt-be-banned.html

abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
With due respect to Mama, I read pretty much the same thing in the Sun (it was on the table in the kitchen at work, honest!) in one of their angry rant columns......which tend not to come from the let's all live together and celebrate difference angle, more look what all these perverts are doing....so I really think this is a bit of a red herring and is going to have no effect whatsover on theatre....(although the idea that Dick Emery could have been banned does appeal, bearing in mind the trauma he caused me as a youth!)
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Camping is uncomfortable and boring.
Camp humour is inoffensive and funny.

After reading this I need a straight drink!!!!

hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I couldn't agree with you more, Phantom. I'm about to have a stiff one myself.

(Government Inspectors please note: The above reference to "stiff one" was, in no way, referring to a penis but rather a drink.)
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lollllllllllllll
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Does that mean Billy is going?

Community looks down upon boy because he wants to dance, he is discouraged of doing so because "he is not a puff."
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I certainly didn't read it in the The Sun! Its been in most newspaers and on TV and radio.
The only time I read The Sun was when they did 'Page 4 Men'. lol
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the world would be a better place if everybody was equally free to be offended and then learn to tolerate the fact that other people have different opinions and lifestyles. You can't legislate for the way people think. You can possibly educate them to think differently maybe, but anything else is a mess.

And Mama, they were Page 7 fellas, as if you didn't remember!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol
I only saw them as i looked over peoples shoulders on the tube!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SADM2 told me you were Mr 16th January 1987. Is that not true?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
[raises eyebrow] really?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I beleive I was the only 2 page spread! (well, maybe jsut half of page re: 'Priscilla-The Musical' Plays Last Performance 28th March 2009
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I once streaked at a Daniel O'Donnell concert. Does that count for anything?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Pray expain!
First why your were there in the first place for gods sake?
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am confused about this. I was under the impression that the UK has free speech similar to what we have in the States.

In the states if people hear someone or some group say something that they don't like, then they would either bitch and moan about it or fight and loose to make it against the law for them to say such things. I say loose because the way the law works is that a group of people have just as much a right to say something that you may find offensive just as much as you have the right to bitch about it.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well we do, at the momnent, Winston.
For now.