Page: 1

Betwixt!

mcalpine84 Profile Photomcalpine84 Profile Photo
mcalpine84
Understudy
Understudy
Betwixt!#1
Posted: 10/18/08 at 1:29pm
So, did anyone else catch this at the Ambassadors? I have to saynit was SUCH a great night in the theatre, so so funny, and i think the show has great potential... I did notice it was being filmed so fingers crossed I can get hold of a copy!! :) Anyone else's thoughts?!
legally_wicked
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Betwixt!#2
Posted: 10/18/08 at 5:59pm
I saw it and loved it! Still as funny as I remember from the King's Head :)
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Betwixt!#2
Posted: 10/19/08 at 6:08pm
Having missed it at The Kings Head (I was away) I was delighted to be able to catch it at The Ambassadors last Tuesday. Great songs, great performances but I must say I found the book rather confusing - presumably the KH production, complete with sets and props, was easier to follow. As an added extra I was surprised to see my friends from London Gay Men's Chorus camping it up in the first act - they kept that quiet from me!

p.s. If you were there, I was the bloke in the bright red suit in the front row
joleslie
Understudy
Understudy
re: Betwixt!#3
Posted: 10/20/08 at 3:29am
I'd never seen the show version before, and utterly loved it. It was hilarious!

The only disappointing thing, for me, was that Sheridan Smith didn't get to sing (well, except for joining in with everyone at the end.) I missed Little Shop Of Horrors and have been dying to see her sing in something. It was the entire reason I booked for Betwixt, although now they've won me over and I'll absolutely go and see it in the future.

Fantastic production. Contrats to everyone involved.
Misplaced Profile PhotoMisplaced Profile Photo
Misplaced
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Betwixt!#4
Posted: 10/21/08 at 8:17am
^^"Great songs, great performances but I must say I found the book rather confusing - presumably the KH production, complete with sets and props, was easier to follow."

Much, much easier to follow in the King's Head production. I saw Betwixt! in that incarnation and even knowing the plot I found it rather difficult to follow. I do hope it returns as a proper production. (This one was terrific, though.)

^^"p.s. If you were there, I was the bloke in the bright red suit in the front row."

You were, indeed, difficult to miss! (I was two rows behind.)
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Betwixt!#5
Posted: 10/21/08 at 8:27am
Was this a future showcase performance or just a simple one off presentation?
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Betwixt!#6
Posted: 10/21/08 at 8:44am
This was a one-off for TheatreMAD, though there were people in from New York scouting out the show - word is that the next stop is Off Broadway.

It makes you wonder where all those out of use 250 seat studio venues are and why small shows like this can't take them for extended runs. The Kings Head production managed to find its audience, but it took most of the run for word of mouth to really spread. I definitely saw familiar faces from the KH audience at the concert along with first timers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Under the current circumstances, new musical theatre talent in the UK just can't get the exposure and refinement it needs without anywhere to go after being crammed into a 3-6 week block of a pub theatre's larger season.