Page: 1

Amsterdam

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amsterdam#1
Posted: 7/26/08 at 2:57pm
I am in Amsterdam at the end of next week, I understand they have a mini thetre scene there, anyone no of any good show to go and see please?
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Amsterdam#2
Posted: 7/26/08 at 4:24pm
I think High school musical is on tour in the Nederlands... Haha :)
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amsterdam#2
Posted: 7/27/08 at 5:02pm
Thanks for that, but think I go and top myself instead!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amsterdam#3
Posted: 7/29/08 at 4:57am
Avoid the shows with patio doors that open onto the streets.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amsterdam#4
Posted: 7/29/08 at 5:00am
and the shops that look like they sell potted plants by the sign outside but there's not a flower insight inside- just coffee tables and tasty cakes!!!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
BrassBandBoy
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Amsterdam#5
Posted: 7/29/08 at 5:27am
Hi,

Don't know how long you are willing to travel to see a show over here, but Tarzan is playing in Scheveningen (near The Hague), Les Miserables in Rotterdam and Dirty Dancing in Utrecht.

If you want to see more of what's going on in Amsterdam at the time, I suggest you visit www.iamsterdam.com and try the "Entertainment and Events" section.

We are kind of in between theatre seasons at the moment, with all the new tours/shows still in rehearsal, so not much going on in that area.

Hope this helps.
We have to burn our past behind us - and YOU are the first one I'm going to burn!
Skywalker3
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Amsterdam#6
Posted: 7/29/08 at 7:12am
BrassBandBoy is right, there's not mutch going on right now.

HSM stars in January, so don't worry about that.

The biggest theater in Amsterdam is Carre, right now 'The Great Flying Circus Noord-Korea' is playing there
http://www.theatercarre.nl/programma.php?m=1&taal=en
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amsterdam#7
Posted: 7/29/08 at 7:36am
BBB and Skywalker! -how about you two guys posting here for us a bit more often to let us know what's going on in your part of the world!!! We hear interesting things about productions over there but not very often. x
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amsterdam#8
Posted: 7/29/08 at 9:53am
I agree with Wicked boy, you guys should post on here more often as it is interesting what happens in Holland. Both Skywalker 3 and BrassBand Boy thank you for the tips.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amsterdam#9
Posted: 7/29/08 at 10:28am
I am definitely interested in the Great Flying Circus Noord-Korea.

I am toying on seeing Les Miserables in Rotterdam, which is not to far from Amsterdam. it would be interesting to see Tarzan, only if it is not like the New York production though. Is the Hague near Amsterdam? how would I go about buying tickets? Are both shows dialogue are in Dutch?
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Amsterdam#10
Posted: 7/29/08 at 12:08pm
Both Tarzan and Les Mis are in Dutch.
They both look great, I'd love to see Tarzan. It's been on for over a year, maybe 2, so I assume it's been improved, although I never saw the Bradway production.
BrassBandBoy
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Amsterdam#11
Posted: 7/29/08 at 12:43pm
Sure, I can try to post every once in a while... re: Amsterdam

I've seen both current productions of Tarzan (twice) and Les Mis (going for the second time on August 6th) and both are in excellent shape. Of course, you can't compare the two production-wise, but the performances are great in both shows (I especially liked the new orchestrations in Les Mis, even though they make use of a smaller orchestra).

Unfortunately, most productions over here get translated into Dutch. I'd rather have them just putting it on in the original language, but then again: it has to be open to 'the masses' I guess.

Anyway, Tarzan is playing in Scheveningen and that's a little over 1 hour by train (to The Hague) and tram (from The Hague Central Station to the Circustheater).
Only thing is that you have to hurry to catch the last tram back to the station after the show, or you will miss the train back to Amsterdam. re: Amsterdam

Tickets can be bought online, through http://webshop.topticketline.nl
If you need some help, let me know (here or via PM)!

Next season we will have (among others) the following shows playing the country: Sunset Boulevard (finally, I have been waiting for that show to open here forever, or so it seems), Joseph (for which the lead will be cast through a TV-show, like "Any Dream Will Do"), Fiddler on the Roof (once more with Henk Poort, who also played Tevye in the previous production some ten years ago), Chicago, Lippa's The Wild Party (very limited run, only two weeks or so, in a small venue in Amsterdam) and a whole lot more.

We also have a new Evita production touring the country until November. I've seen it twice now and although it's VERY different from both the original version (which they put on somewhere in 1995 or so, with Pia Douwes as Eva) and the new London show (which I absolutely loved, mostly because of the dancing and Elena Roger), it's very interesting as well.

Well, ehm... anything else you guys would like to know?
We have to burn our past behind us - and YOU are the first one I'm going to burn!
Skywalker3
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Amsterdam#12
Posted: 7/29/08 at 4:36pm
You're right, but you made one little mistake, Chicago isn't comming until next year (2009)! re: Amsterdam

And you forgot to tell about Dirty Dancing, but my guess that's on purpose, please don't go and see it. It sucks!

The say that there are a lot of changes in Tarzan. Well the producer tells it in almost every interview. But the important part is that the Circustheater is a mutch better theatre for the show. Tarzan and the monkeys fly over the auditorium all the time! It's not a great show, but it look's beautifully!
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Amsterdam#13
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:31am
"The say that there are a lot of changes in Tarzan. Well the producer tells it in almost every interview."
There ARE lot of changes (seen both productions), the show has definitely improved a lot in the Netherlands. It is worth seeing it once.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amsterdam#14
Posted: 8/4/08 at 12:30pm
Back from Amsterdam, thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

I did not get to see Les Miserable in the end, even though it is sung in Dutch, I know every word off by hard, I would have followed the show no problems.

I wanted to see the Great Flying Circus on the Saturday but the Carrie Theatre was impossible to get to, as the gay pride parade was on, when I attempted to get tickets.

I see the culture in Amsterdam is different to London/New York, where we and New York have a big theatre scene (luckily), where Amsterdam is trying to establish a mini scene.

I did note that the brilliant circus d soleil, now I would definitely gone to that.

TLKfan Profile PhotoTLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Amsterdam#15
Posted: 8/4/08 at 6:51pm
I love Holland and their musicals. :) I didn't seen your post until after you came back, but I would tell everyone that Holland knows how to put on musicals. Loved Tarzan (huge improvement from NYC) and Les Mis as well.

For future reference I always www.musicals.nl
2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amsterdam#16
Posted: 8/5/08 at 1:59pm
"I see the culture in Amsterdam is different to London/New York, where we and New York have a big theatre scene (luckily), where Amsterdam is trying to establish a mini scene."

The population over there is about 15 million, which isn't enough to support the size of theatre scene we have, but they are very intelligent and cultured people (on average more so than us I would have thought).
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amsterdam#17
Posted: 8/5/08 at 3:06pm
I agree with you, the Dutch are very intelligent and cultured, most spesk English fluently.

I was in Paris a few weeks ago and like Amsterdam, both do not have a theatre scene, ok Paris has The Lion King and a touring production of Mama Mia, but cannot understand why theatre has not taken off in these counties?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amsterdam#18
Posted: 8/5/08 at 3:06pm
I agree with you, the Dutch are very intelligent and cultured, most spesk English fluently.

I was in Paris a few weeks ago and like Amsterdam, both do not have a theatre scene, ok Paris has The Lion King and a touring production of Mama Mia, but cannot understand why theatre has not taken off in these counties?
TLKfan Profile PhotoTLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Amsterdam#19
Posted: 8/5/08 at 11:50pm
I know! I lived in France for half of the year and I love musicals yet there's hardly anything...I did see The Lion King and was very impressed with the production and was glad to see a fresh production of it. I also saw Cabaret which I believe did well in Paris and it was great...minus a few cast members.

However, France is starting to see more musicals. Hopefully there will be more.

Oh and a side note...I'm not fluent in French but speak a bit, but I still went to the stage door and asked if the performer spoke English (didn't feel like being an idiot trying to say theatre lingo I didn't know in French) and they all did. I was surprised, even if their English wasn't perfect, we still had a good conversation.
2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis
BrassBandBoy
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Amsterdam#20
Posted: 8/6/08 at 2:54am
The French musicals (like Cabaret and Le Roi de Lion) are also produced by Stage Entertainment, the Dutch company founded by Joop van den Ende.
Guess he wants to spread the musical culture across Europe (the continent) as much as possible (I believe they also own theatres in Spain and on the West End, next to the Netherlands, Germany and France)...
I have to admit I do like the original French musicals like "Notre Dame de Paris" and "Roméo et Juliette" a lot as well.

Anyway, the theatre scene over here in the Netherlands has grown quite a lot over the last decade, especially musical-wise.
It all started with productions of Cats and Les Miserables back in 1987/1988, followed by The Phantom of the Opera (the first big show in the Circustheater in Scheveningen).
The number of musicals on stage every year has grown extensively ever since and I have to say I'm quite picky about what I see now (where I simply went to most of the shows in those years...) - anyway, we will finally have a Sunset Blvd production this season! re: Amsterdam

On a side note: the reason why most Dutch people speak English rather well is that at least one foreign language is mandatory at school. Most people choose English, since they find it easier than French or German.
Still, I sometimes cringe at the sound of people from the northern provinces ("Holland") speaking English - horrid pronounciation! :-p

Going to see the new Les Mis production for the second time tonight and next week I will be seeing the new Evita production for the third time...