Page: 1

Jodie Prenger wins "I'd Do Anything"

nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Jodie Prenger wins "I'd Do Anything"#1
Posted: 5/31/08 at 4:23pm
I'm absolutely thrilled! I really think she will do an amazing job - if you see how far shes come in 10 weeks - just imagine the result of 6 months!! I always preferred her to jessie, largely because she seemed a much nicer person.
andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#2
Posted: 5/31/08 at 4:44pm
Yer, dunno what had gone on between Jessie and Barrowman, but he certainly was a Jodie fan. I think CM and ALW were obviously disappointed, but for the sole reason that Jodie wont be as marketable as Lee and Connie. I think Jessie was ear-marked as a money-maker by ALW from the start.
tigerlily2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#2
Posted: 5/31/08 at 4:51pm
The right woman won. Congratulations Jodie!
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#3
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:04pm
i think that ALW and CM were actually on the verge of being downright rude to Jodie tonight - especially after she had won. Some VERY loaded comments there :S I think that Jodie will be far more profitable than Jessie, because she is obviously so well liked by people, which will put bums in seats. Whereas Connie and Lee had the novelty still on their side (especially Connie) Jodie has (i think) won because she is liked, and because she has earned people's respect. I think her weight-loss thing really shows how committed she will be to the role. I cant see her changing from being the genuine, down-to-earth person she is. Apparently the two other winners have been rather standoffish...
michael2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#4
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:08pm
I'm glad that Jodie won she was consistent all the way through the competition unlike Jessie I don't think I could stand another second of her singing out the side of her mouth or running her hands through her bloody hair. Thought it was great that Jessie thought she had it and Jodie won it and wiped the smug look off Jessie's face. Can't wait to see oliver now in December.
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#5
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:22pm
yes, I think that Jodie will sell better. but with regard to Jessie being more marketable I meant in terms of albums/tours etc that ALW is already exploiting with Lee and Connie.
From the series as a whole, I think that Rachel has showcased herself very well and that Samantha is going to be a sensation in years to come.
FrEp
Swing
Swing
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#6
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:38pm
michael2, when on earth did Jessie have a smug look??? She was on the verge of tears as she waited to hear that result. And as for the public liking Jodie so much, thats certainly the case, but who put Jessie in the final? The public.

That said, I'm happy for Jodie, she'll be a solid Nancy, although not quite the edgy, gritty Nancy they set out to find. As for Jessie, she'll be a sensation, along with Rachel. Two terrific performers.

Well done Jodie. Onwards and upwards for the runners up!
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#7
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:58pm
regarding the gritty, edgy nancy - who knows what direction a good director good steer jodie to? She could well end up the gritty, real nancy they wanted....
FrEp
Swing
Swing
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#8
Posted: 5/31/08 at 7:14pm
You have a very fair point nshreeve, but the judges wanted it "now!". A lot of faults they had with contestants (i.e Jessie and her accent, Samantha and her everything) could easily be dealt with in the six months before the show opens. They didn't mention that. They wanted it there and then. Jodie didn't give it to them.

Anyway, i'm always happy with new talent. Hope this "4 shows a week" thing is only temporary to boost ticket sales on the weaker selling days and Jodie won't be cheated out of the role she worked so hard for.
legally_wicked
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#9
Posted: 5/31/08 at 8:25pm
I'm so glad Jodie won!
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#10
Posted: 6/1/08 at 12:23pm
Having never seen this god damn awful program- is this the girl that Cameron thought was too fat?
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#11
Posted: 6/1/08 at 12:48pm
If she got the votes then clearly Jodie is the "people's choice" but I hated her performances every week. She oversang everything, confusing emotion with melodrama. When she sang As Long As He Needs Me last night I was cringing - it was so over-the-top. Clearly from the voting result it is just me - but I have never once heard any genuine "truth" in her voice.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 6/1/08 at 12:48 PM
jackson992
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#12
Posted: 6/1/08 at 3:40pm
I love the show and am so glad Jodie won. She was the best performer and Jessie was a very close 2nd.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#13
Posted: 6/2/08 at 4:09am
Cameron never said she was too fat. He said her performance was "matronly", which it is. Doesn't mean she's fat at all, just stern, overbearing and dominering. I personally find her hard to watch as she seems to facially overplay everything she does - but her Send in the Clowns was lovely.

My money was on Jessie (who, although inconsistent, could, with a good director, get there in 6 months) or Rachael (who will no doubt be going straight into Chicago!).

I hear a story (T/F?) that Cameron and Andrew had a big row a week or so ago over Andrews choice in one of the sing-offs - anyone else heard this story? Other than just now!

MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#15
Posted: 6/2/08 at 4:41am
I read an article in a paper that interviewed Andrew and 'quoted' him as saying that Cameron had pretty much said that Jodie was too 'hefty' for the part, and that him and Cameron had had a falling out over his decision to save sam over rachel. Andrews arguement was that Rachel was in the bottom 2 on three occassions and so was never going to win.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#16
Posted: 6/2/08 at 6:06am
I stand corrected. I agree with Cameron on Rachael, she'd have been very interesting in the part.

Sam was always going 3rd or 4th.
Jessie could have done something with the part and was better on Saturday night.

Jodi was the "safe" one in terms of performance - as they said on Saturday. But as a director I can imagine nothing worse than rehearsing with a "safe" performer. Where are they going to take the show or audience? Home safely.

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#17
Posted: 6/2/08 at 6:09am
I think she looks great, 90% of Nancys in the past have been buxum ladies and think thats how she should look. I only said the word 'fat' as that is what i read in the press as what Cameron had said himself.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#18
Posted: 6/2/08 at 7:05am
The right girl won.

Yes - she was matronly and that's one of the reasons why I (and obviously the voting public)were supporting her.

And if Cameron doesn't like it he will simply have to show a bit more respect to those who put their disposable income into his pocket.

Whether you call it fat, buxom, bulky or voluptuous Jodie is certainly bigger than the two teenagers she was up against. It was pretty obvious last week that Cameron didn't want Jodie to win. For a gay man to be making such sexist judgements, parrticularly with Hairspray in the West End, is pathetic.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#19
Posted: 6/2/08 at 7:14am
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'

Good job she didn't enter last year! Cameron may have had a point!

MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jodie Prenger wins 'I'd Do Anything'#20
Posted: 6/2/08 at 7:39am
I haven't followed the show properly but what I have seen and heard from her I liked - she is anything but fat these days, she is a real woman with curves, just as I want a Nancy to look like. And there is plenty of time till the show opens to work on her acting.
Updated On: 6/2/08 at 07:39 AM