Page: 1

Grease! Any word?

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Grease! Any word?#1
Posted: 7/31/07 at 3:09pm
Anyone been to any previews of Grease yet? Pretty quiet on here about it or has everyone proven they have taste and stayed away from it.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
yankees1253 Profile Photoyankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grease! Any word?#2
Posted: 7/31/07 at 5:49pm
i have been to a preview of grease on broadway.
it was not that good at all. it looks like a high school production. Laura,Max,Joe,Jenny,Robyn were standouts for me.
the dancing was not that good at all and changed numbers(songs) were the numbers(songs) were sung in the movie.
all around terrible.
Legally Blonde and Jersey Boys are tied in first for my favorite musicals.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grease! Any word?#2
Posted: 7/31/07 at 7:43pm
As this is the West End board, I believe we're talking about the West End production of 'Grease'.

I've heard eff all about it to be honest. It seems the internet at least is severely underwhelmed.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grease! Any word?#3
Posted: 7/31/07 at 7:45pm
yea im asking bout the West End production. It doesnt sound too good what im hearing bout the Broadway one tho!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grease! Any word?#4
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:31am
There are some rather dismissive comments on the Whatsonstage board:
http://www.whatsonstage.com/board/index.php?s=4bf6b92a4376bbc6329f3361394de582&showtopic=2005

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grease! Any word?#5
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:38am
Is anyone really surprised ? we knew it would be the same tacky set etc

NEXT
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grease! Any word?#6
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:32pm
LOL Yes, SADM2 Dont call us we'll call you! I know youll kill me for this but its like Fame -done to death!
ooouch! that hurt SADM2 lol
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grease! Any word?#7
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:40pm
No i agree

Fame has been left to rot for at least 5 years and needs to take a good 5 year break(at least fame does change its set once in awhile lol)

Grease is just plain **** now.The same tired old production

Put it to sleep
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grease! Any word?#8
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:46pm
..or go see the great production thats in Barcelona now until Christmas!!! Stunning new, fresh production.
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Grease! Any word?#9
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:01pm
I wonder if it's any different to the revival I saw in 1998. I loved it back then but they should at least put some effort in if they've brought it back. I heard Joseph had a cheap and tacky set as well, seems that's what a reality-based West End casting show leads to!
Everything in life...is only for now.
Pip-boy
Swing
Swing
re: Grease! Any word?#10
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:06pm
I really hated this and this is one of my favourite musicals. Although there was nothing new, as such, the two leads, especially Danny, were insipid. Although Sandy had a nice voice, not once did any of them make a positive impact and sadly the "wow, a star in the making" effect never once came anywhere near to being realised. Now I was looking for that effect, especially given the hype of how they were selected. Most of the time it looked clear to the audience they were trying too hard to get it right. Conversely, with Joseph, although the production itself was fine, Lee Mead made a knockout impression throughout.

Terrific ensemble in Grease, however, who, it seemed, very much gave the impression of "carrying" the two leads. And for me that made things somewhat uncomfortable to watch at times - if that makes any sense!
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Grease! Any word?#11
Posted: 8/6/07 at 4:16am
Did anyone really think the tacky, shoddy and painfully down-market TV show would discover anything other than something in its own image?
showlad
Swing
Swing
re: Grease! Any word?#12
Posted: 8/6/07 at 5:55am
An appalling production of a good musical. It really doesnt deserve success, although it is heavily sold out for ages to come, and I will be interested to see what the critics make of the two leads who really were straight out of the amdram circuit for the lack of stage presence they had.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grease! Any word?#13
Posted: 8/6/07 at 9:21am
Anthony should have won (though im bias hes a mate lol)
Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Grease! Any word?#14
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:05am
hmm Antony was ok and one of the better ones but he was somewhat lacking in vocal strength and charisma. Good looking boy though and he might have pulled in the crowds for people who remember him.
DannyZuko
Swing
Swing
re: Grease! Any word?#15
Posted: 8/9/07 at 7:37pm
Both the West End and Broadway productions are highly entertaining and will delight audiences.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grease! Any word?#16
Posted: 8/9/07 at 8:44pm
DanntZuko the UK one is a cheap old tired re tread which has become a parody of itself.

You are obviously a grease fan and to be honest i have always had a soft spot for grease but no one in there right mind can look at this UK production and think its any good.

They need to close that awful production and come back in a few years with a new interesting production of the show and get it back to what it once were(though that could be impossible since its come so far of track).

Good to see you joined the board though about the time Grease opened lol
Tainted-Delusions
Swing
Swing
re: Grease! Any word?#17
Posted: 8/10/07 at 6:35am
songanddanceman2 , i totally agree with what your saying. There is no way i would have payed to see Grease, it was terrible. But i am not just going to blame it on Susan and Danny- because the production on the whole is awful.

There is a terrible problem with the orchestra trying to out-play the performers, the cheap and tacky sets and it sort of going in the wrong direction.

The ensemble and supporting characters are what saved it for me, particularly Cameron ( Marty) and Siobhan ( Patty)
AngusN
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Grease! Any word?#18
Posted: 8/10/07 at 1:39pm
I can't wait to see Siobhan as Sandy, she will be amazing. She sings like an angel and has the natural duality of plain Jane combined with overt sex appeal.

Look how hot she is in this video:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,11021-2006410749,00.html?channel=Celebs+Exposed&clipID=1347_SUN3076

It's interesting that they show her first.