Page: 1

Michael Ball...

ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
Michael Ball...#1
Posted: 6/15/07 at 9:43am
Him as Edna in hairspray?!
Really, REALLY can't see that working meself to be honest...
He was good in Chitty Bang Bang, and sounds good on the Les Mis recordings, but as Edna...?
Updated On: 6/15/07 at 09:43 AM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Michael Ball...#2
Posted: 6/15/07 at 9:48am
erm well erm NEXT
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Michael Ball...#2
Posted: 6/15/07 at 9:59am
His Fosco and his Reginald Bunthorne were brilliant. Why not Edna?
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Michael Ball...#3
Posted: 6/15/07 at 10:05am
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Michael Ball...#4
Posted: 6/15/07 at 10:05am
I don't know, I just don't imagine him playing that kind of part. Sure he'll be good though.
Hehe! widgetsparky seems to agree with me.
Updated On: 6/15/07 at 10:05 AM
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Michael Ball...#5
Posted: 6/15/07 at 10:09am
Some thought he wouldn't be able to play Fosco, but, as I said, he was brilliant. His Bunthorne garnered him some of the best reviews of his career. Give him a chance.

Widgetsparky, any chance you can shave a few "oooo"s off that cry?
Marcus2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Michael Ball...#6
Posted: 6/15/07 at 10:29am
I must say I can see him being brilliant at this role. He seems to have got the idea that Edna's supposed to be a women and not just a man in drag and he could sing it for sure! Will be interesting to see it!
sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Michael Ball...#7
Posted: 6/15/07 at 10:34am
YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I think this is a brilliant idea. A singer/actor playing the role instead of just an actor. He has terrific comic timing and should be just great in this role. A novel turn for sure but a very good one.
Lori
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Michael Ball...#8
Posted: 6/15/07 at 10:48am
Well he auditioned for the role and won it so the Producers and Creative Team must be convinced he can pull it off. Personally I think he'll be terrific. As KEC said, people didn't think he could pull off Fosco and he was wonderful. Reginald Bunthorne was a completely over the top character and he got rave reviews for his performance at the NYC Opera.

Great to see him continuing to take on diverse and challenging roles. From "The Poet" in 'Kismet' to "Edna" in 'Hairspray'. I love it!
"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Michael Ball...#9
Posted: 6/15/07 at 11:09am
grrr im not sure about this

I thought he was flat in chitty (i watched it on tour without him and it was much funnier)

I dont think you need a singer in this role so thats not really a plus point , you need someone who has amazing comic timing, Harvey was flawless on broadway, thats one of the reasons that show did so well, they should have gone with someone like Matt Lucas, he has comedy timing down to a T
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Lori
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Michael Ball...#10
Posted: 6/15/07 at 11:33am
Michael does have terrific comic timing. He proved that in "Woman In White" and in "Patience" with the NYC Opera. He does really well with these "over the top" character roles. Give him a chance, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.
"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Michael Ball...#11
Posted: 6/15/07 at 1:17pm
We'll see how it goes. ^_^

My housemate is doubly unimpressed. She hates 'Hairspray', and has been quoted as saying that listening to Michael Ball is like having someone you don't like licking your ear. XD

Whereas I love 'Hairspray' and Michael Ball. Let's be optimistic. It's a nice way to be. :3
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Michael Ball...#12
Posted: 6/15/07 at 2:47pm
He could be great, but it is an unexpected decision. It makes me worry a bit for the show, the fact that he had to audition, and his name has never been linked to the role that they may not have been able to get the 'name' they wanted (eg a well known comedian). So went for the next best. Michael Balls name doesnt sell tickets like it once did, and wouldnt draw a 'non regular theatre goer' audience to it (peter kay without doubt helped make The Producers a sell out in Manchester). With such competition already, plus the reality tv shows about to open im worried that it may get lost. Fingers crossed it wont!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Michael Ball...#13
Posted: 6/15/07 at 3:32pm
for some reasons when I never had him in mind but actually... he would be really gd in this camp role!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Michael Ball...#14
Posted: 6/16/07 at 2:22am
I think it's inspired casting.

The audition thing I think is as much about getting the role on his own merits rather than being cast just for his name. The creative team must have been liked what he did at his audition. I find it refreshing that someone of Michael's standing auditioned, good for him. For all we know on the strength of it Michael was their first choice for this role.

As for not selling tickets as he once did....ask the ENO, who's telephone system crashed under the requests of people trying to book tkts for Kismet last year. :) Michael is one of our best known musical theatre performers. He is known outside the industry in a way many other performers are not. I think some of those people who watch him on tv, buy the albums, go to concerts etc but think theatre is not their bag, will be persuaded to go and see this( in much the same way they did Chitty).

It's great that some people have been suprised and even shocked by this casting. It will make him all the more determined to get it right, to prove them wrong...which can only be a good thing for the show.

Updated On: 6/16/07 at 02:22 AM

Page: 1