Page: 1

Is it possible to watch the Tony Awards while in London?

courtnyj Profile Photocourtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm going to be in London on June 10th (the night of the Tony Awards show). I know it's a stretch but do they broadcast the Tonys over there? Maybe on satellie TV or something? I'm very excited about my first trip to London but I hate to miss my favorite awards show. Is it possible to watch the Tony Awards while in London? Thanks for any info/help!

PS: Can't wait to see a whole bunch of West End shows! Is it possible to watch the Tony Awards while in London?

Updated On: 5/15/07 at 01:02 AM
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, It's not possible. They don't even broadcast the Oliviers in London let alone the Tonys. I don't think that CBS would pay to have them broadcast overseas when there are some local market CBS channels that are dropping the Tonys because no one is watching and they can get more money showing local programing or something els.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They usually webcast some red carpet stuff and the first batch of smaller technical awards, but all the exciting stuff? Nothing. ;_;

I would happily pay real money to watch a webcast of the entire ceremony, and I wish this is something that could happen.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I live in the UK and last year looked for a way to see the Tonys but nothing. I have seen clips on youtube but wanted the real thing.
An option is if you have a slingbox (or similar) set to the right channel at home you can watch it over a broadband connection on a laptop (if your hotel has wifi) but it would be great if they just broadcast it on Sky (on Sky Arts for example)
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm surprised that Sky don't carry it. Murdoch has a controlling interest in Sky ( I believe) he also has a controlling interest in Foxtel (Cable) here in Australia and we get it live.
courtnyj Profile Photocourtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for the responses! So sad that I'll have to miss it! I'm going to set my VCR, but I'll be in the UK until June 24th so I'll have to wait to watch it til then. re: Is it possible to watch the Tony Awards while in London?
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
Last year I followed a live blog - I think on this site.
CohenF
Swing
Swing
And can't you watch it online? I really want to watch this year and I know that there are a few channels that you can watch on internet, but I can't find CBS. =/
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=937885

This thread appears to have the answers to your prayers. It's certainly perked up my day!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to nap until 1am so I'm not completely dead at work tomorrow...