Page: 1

Any Dreams?

DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Any Dreams?#1
Posted: 4/1/07 at 7:39am
So then what did we all think about the first episode of Any Dream will do? Will Greese win the TV rating battle?
Kelizascop
Swing
Swing
re: Any Dreams?#2
Posted: 4/1/07 at 8:36am
Don't know about Grease (I'm in the States), but I just watched Any Dream, and I loved it oh so very much. Throughout Grease: YTOTIW (U.S. version), I kept trying to figure out why Maria was such a better show, and now I'm feeling the same way about Joseph (er, that it's better than Grease, not than Maria).

Maybe it's that, while actually having far more legitimacy (I'm no great Webber fan, but, Andrew Lloyd Webber versus Jim Jacobs? I just keep thinking about what performing for ALW must mean for the Maria/Joseph hopefuls, while the same never crossed my mind for the Sandy/Dannys and their trying out for Jim Jacobs), the British shows are at once more understated and more tongue-in-cheek, while the American one is both the bigger spectacle and less self-aware. It will be interesting to see Grease is the Word (which, yay, is the name I always WANTED G:YTOTIW to have!) to be able to compare the two Grease shows, although I'm not quite sure I can handle that much Grease crap in one season.

But I watched Maria in one awesomely mind-numbing marathon after the series had ended (and I knew the result). Now I'm going to have to watch the Joseph comp unfold in [almost] real time, and the suspense might kill me. Want the rest NOW.

I must admit to kind of loving "The door has been closed to you" as a cast-off line. Any idea what the sing-off song will be?
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#2
Posted: 4/3/07 at 6:28am
I reckon Grease will have the bigger pull over ADWD. I was quite disapointed with saturdays episode for some reason which i have not yet decided but i think will cheer up when it comes to the live shows.
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#3
Posted: 4/7/07 at 7:03am
I pretty much liked it. Bit slow maybe.

But I mostly like the fact that compared to X-Factor and similar stuff no-one on Any Dream is being laughed at, taken the piss out of or put on tele as a joke. The first few weeks of X-Factor are about the public laughing at people who either can't sing, or who are slightly 'damaged', if you know what I mean. Many years ago we put nutters in a place called Bedlam, and the public paid a penny and laughed at them. Now we pay our TV liscence to watch them being taunted on X-factor.

Any Dream seems to have some sensible standards and decency.
Kelizascop
Swing
Swing
re: Any Dreams?#4
Posted: 4/8/07 at 1:13pm
Ugggh, I can't believe they cut Ezra without ever letting us really see what he could do. Maybe he was awful, but all they ever did was show us how charming he was. Perhaps if I'd heard him in any of those auditions, and he sucked, I wouldn't have been shocked, but, given the footage they used, I was sure he was a lock for the finals.

Otherwise, I'm finding I just . . . don't care. Hopefully once we start getting to know them better, I'll care more. But, right now, I can't keep most of the Joes straight.

I'm in the middle of watching Grease right now, and it is almost as much of an abomination as the U.S. version was. How did they two shows do in their match-up, ratings-wise?
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#5
Posted: 4/8/07 at 2:37pm
I sat near Ezra when i saw Little Shop of Horrors a few weeks back (sure it was him) and he was talking about the show, he sang a bit and sounded great.
Jade Profile PhotoJade Profile Photo
Jade
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Any Dreams?#6
Posted: 4/9/07 at 6:53pm
I've finally got round to watching Grease Is The Word and both episodes of Any Dream Will Do, and so far I much prefer Any Dream Will Do as it's much classier. I totally agree about how it's great they don't show any really bad auditions, and I'm pleased they got the boring inital auditions over with in two shows.

I found Grease Is The Word to be really tacky. They did show some auditions just for a cheap laugh, put through 3 people who I thought were totally wrong, and what qualifications does David Gest have to pick someone to star in a musical? They only thing they did right was have dancing and acting sections in the initial auditions, so there won't be any unpleasant surprises on that front when the action moves to boot camp.

Updated On: 4/9/07 at 06:53 PM
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#7
Posted: 4/11/07 at 5:19am
I agree Jade. I thought Grease was really tacky too, especially to put people through as a "joke" in place of people who COULD sing and might have learned something and developed from "Grease school".

How can you say no to someone who can sing and put through people who can't.

Thought that policy was immature, smaked of playground bullying ("lets laugh at the less gifted and put them through so we can laugh more later, or laugh at David Ian being embarrassed by a woman"), tacky, badly made and the quality of judging and open laughter at some contestants was appalingly bad.

In answer to our other friends question about who is winning the battle of the ratings?

Grease averaged 4million. Joseph averaged 6million.

May be the public agree with us about laughing at people who can't sing being demeaning.
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#8
Posted: 4/11/07 at 5:33am
This is taken from a blog I did on my myspace page.

First up, Any Dream Will Do. Just watched the 2nd episode and the final 12 are decided. Im in 2 minds about reality tv, it is a brilliant marketing move, and brings theatre into primetime tv. But its also a bit cheesy and can mean genuine talented people can get overlooked for parts in favour of reality tv stars - so im torn. However im pleased to report that there are at least two musical performers in the final twelve. There may be more but im only aware of 2. One is a guy called Lee Mead who is from Phantom, and the other, and a personal fave is Daniel Boys who is amazingly talented, gorgeous to look at and I think has to be a top contender.

What I love about Any dream Will Do is its as camp as christmas (the opening credits my god! lol) but it knows it. Graham Norton and ALW have a great friendship and bounce of eachother, and all the judges are there on merit (unlike Grease - ill come to that in a bit). Its good entertainment for a saturday night and its also interesting (to a certain extent). Unless the others show to be something amazing Daniel Boys will be getting my vote every week. I encourage others to follow suit! :o)

Now Grease is the Word I had sworn not to watch as it looked tacky as hell from publicity shots and ive seen Grease so many times it never bloody goes away! However hate to say it, tonights show was very entertaining and very funny. This is mainly due to David Gest, who clearly has only been hired from an entertainment point of view. I felt this show does make a slight mockery of theatre, its so clearly a publicity stunt and trying to be like 'Maria' but its failing. Wouldnt surprise me if this show is no different to the last west end revival and subsequent tours. David Ian looks more tango like than ever before (dopes he realise how gay he looks), Sinetta dresses like she did in the 80s, although the american cheoreographer is pretty hot! lol

What was interesting was 90s pop singer Kavana turned up, and god he looked SO different - put on loads of weight. Is he gay anyone know, coz he was so camp, but he was also very good and his clear lack of confidence was endearing.

I will probably watch Grease until it gets down to the public vote, but after that it just doesnt have the sincerity that Joseph does, you can see David Ian with signs in his eyes.'

I also agree with others posts is 'Grease' is very much into the public humiliation of people

DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#9
Posted: 4/11/07 at 10:22am
Hi N.S.

That was a great piece on both - agree all round. And David Guest is very funny!

Love ALW and GN superb fun!

Well said.

D.S.
Jade
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Any Dreams?#10
Posted: 4/11/07 at 2:21pm
Ooh, I didn't realise Daniel Boys was one of the Josephs. I think I saw him in Rent. If it's the same guy, I'll be voting for him as he's really talented.

I'm afraid I found David Gest irritating rather than funny. Although I agree with you, NS, about the choreographer on Grease is the Word being hot :)
EdiSteve Profile PhotoEdiSteve Profile Photo
EdiSteve
Swing
Swing
re: Any Dreams?#11
Posted: 4/14/07 at 8:13am
Having seen both shows, I am sure that ADWD will win out - primarily because of Sir Andrew - also, Grease, as with loads of ITV shows is just going to be a 2nd rate crib of a decent BBC show. Graham Norton is just such a better presenter!
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#12
Posted: 4/15/07 at 9:33am
Thought id share my humble opnions, again taken from my myspace blog

First up Grease. Could this show be any tackier! Its very much about the humiliation of the auditionees. Sinetta dresses liek an 80s hooker at times, David Gest is very funny (love the coffin story) but is only there to entertain, the cheoreographer is hot, and David Ian is sat there and you can slowly see it dawning on him that he may hav emade a huge error!! The problem is the judges dotn really care about the success of the show, they are there for the tv part, not to create new west end stars. also all the auditionees are amatuers, ive yet to see any West End trained people - I could of course be wrong. I have also heard that Kavana (seen last week) and the sister of Brian Mcfaden (we cant hold that against her!) who also had really chubby ankles are through to the final stages - Kavana used to be managed by Simon Cowell, and Simon Cowell used to manage westlife - coinsidence??!!

There was a very awkward moment last night when a guy with a stammer came on, I thought ITV had sunk to new lows. BUT he was good, and the judges were really kind, he deserved to go through, although will he now get a pity vote from the public - I hope not?! He desreved to go through on talent not on the stammer factor. What amazes me is do these people really think they have talent, I was watching it thinking this HAS to be a set up, sometimes its so perfectly staged

Anyways now onto how to should be done - well kind of! Any Dream Will Do and the start of the live shows. first off the camp credits are still there, and star 'dazzler' in my myspace friends list so keep an eye out for him.

Im praying we dont have to hear 'Any Dream Will Do' in full every week, and the opening was quite demeaning I thought to the guys. Shame as on the whole I love the show, but the way they were all stood there seemed a bit humiliating. And they all have nice 'tasteful (cough 'not' cough) coats to wear in different colours! Now I know shows like this are looked down on within the industry and I can understand why, but if your dream is to be a performer then you do whatever is neccessary, its the same in any career. Whats important this time round is that they find a true leading man, not just 'Joseph' as last year Connie won - yeah brilliant Maria I admit, but cant see her in many other roles. also from my point of view I look to see who I would spend 50 to see, I want to see the show as I love Joseph anyway, but there are a few in there im wouldnt pay money to see, so until they are out i wont be parting with my cash!

Graham Norton and ALW were on top form, these two shine in this programme. John Barrowmans 'Martine comment' was brilliant, very funny, and true to be honest! Now for the Josephs!

Anthony - He surprised me, I didnt really remember him from the early rounds, but he showed great potential.

Ben - Weak, he was drowned out quite a few times by the band, good for cabaret or cruise ship.

Chris B - His 'Walking In Memphis' was very good and very controlled, but didnt see a sparkle of star quality. Theres something quite plastic about him, and find his look a bit .... scary to be honest! Those blinding teeth!

Chrsi C - I felt for him when DVO made comments about his body. As if he wasnt nervous enough she had to bring that up, and its not like he is the only one with that issue. However he was very weak and it was right that he went.

Craig - Clearly trying in looks to be a David Beckham, he wasnt as bad as I imagined he would be, and didnt come accross as as arrogant as I was expecting. Ok, but not great.

John Deep - Ok yes was very nice to see his family there, and its a nice story, but I hope he doesnt get the pity vote from the public. He is a good singer but based on last night he isnt west end standard.

Keith - Didnt think id like him, but he has a certain charm and charisma about him. he was better than I expected, but again got drowned out at times. Not sure he is Joseph id pay 50 to see, but there is something about him.

Lee - Bad choice of song I thought, but he performed it well. He is a handsome guy and would make a great Marius/Chris in Miss Saigon, Rhaol in Phantom etc but im not convinced he is a Joseph.

Lewis - or as I call him Mr Plastic. David Beckham? more like John Lee from S club. He may be blond but and a nice enough vice but there was no oomph in his performance, he is also in my view too girly looking for Joseph.

Rob - The underdog. Nice guy, but come on, is he really Joseph!? He is way too macho and mature looking, maybe a Billy flynn in Chicago, but no way is he a Joseph. His performance was good, but again not West End standard and a bit amatuer and showy. My worry is the public will vote for the underdog.

Seamus - I have a really issue with this guy, basically I.......HATE HIM!!! He is an arrogant know it all, who sang well but was dead in the eyes, I was so surprised they liked him as much as they did!

Daniel - ahhh I think im in love. He has so much charm and unassuming personality, his VT was the best. But im trying to not be biased. He does have one of, if not THE best voice in the competition and he did actually try and tell a story with his song (which considerign its early days is very good), and he took control of the stage. Im torn as to whether I see him as a Joseph, in a way I hope he doesnt so he can go onto something better and use this as a spring board. But he is, and im not being biased i swear, the best in the competition and im not sure anyone can beat him! Go Go Go Daniel!

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any Dreams?#13
Posted: 4/15/07 at 9:55am
I agree about Daniel, he has my backing to win at the moment. He was a class above all the other I think.

Reading his bio it says one of his dream roles would be Princeton in Avenue Q and I can't help but notice this similarity between him and Jon Robyns

re: Any Dreams?
re: Any Dreams?
Updated On: 4/15/07 at 09:55 AM
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#14
Posted: 4/15/07 at 11:47am
yeah, although dan has the edge in my view. actually id rather see Daniel in ave Q than Joseph, if he gets kicked out of Joseph I hope Cameron Mack has the sense to bring him into Ave Q as Princeton.
Jade
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Any Dreams?#15
Posted: 4/15/07 at 1:49pm
More thoughts on Grease Is The Word and Any Dream Will Do:

Grease Is The Word

- David Ian is supposed to be the head judge, is he not? So why does David Gest do all the talking?

- Totally agree that the judges (apart from David Ian) don't care that the people who win will have to perform in the West End for eight performances a week, and are putting some people through just for entertainment value. I've seen very few people who really stood out for me.

- Is it just me, or did you seem to have more chance of getting through if you dressed up as Sandy/Danny?

Any Dream Will Do:

- I don't think we'll hear 'Any Dream Will Do' in full every week: The audience will get bored. I think it'll be like Maria in that there'll be a group number from the show every week, though. NS, why did you think it was demeaning? I thought it was quite a good performance. What I do think is demeaning is making the person who was knocked out sing at the end of the show.

- Yes, the coats are pretty awful but better than the hideous Maria dresses!

- I agree with you, NS, about Chris B's scary blinding teeth, but would like to know who his dentist is...

- Chris C: Perhaps it wasn't the right moment for Denise to make those comments about his body, but she was right. He is too skinny. He also had the weakest voice, and ALW made the right decision sending him home. I actually thought he was at his best when singing 'Close Every Door To Me' at the end of the show, but of course by then it was too late...

- Daniel: Didn't disappoint, and had my vote.
Updated On: 4/15/07 at 01:49 PM
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#16
Posted: 4/17/07 at 7:05am
Love "Builder Joesph" - or maybe he's plumber Joseph?

Either way I thought he opened the show in a superb way. Bold, brave, bright and full of attack. Not sure yet if he is a Joseph. But I think at the very least he should be an Elvis-Pharaoh. Looks like he'd love that part.

Vote Builder! (Sorry too early days to remember real names yet)
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#17
Posted: 4/17/07 at 7:11am
I wonder, does anyone else think Grease may not be cast from the current TV show?

Several people have suggested that not much talent has appeared. I haven't seen much.

Will the TV show even make it to the final with the current viewing figures?

Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any Dreams?#18
Posted: 4/17/07 at 8:35am
Scheduling it opposite the rating behemoth that is Doctor Who was a very . . . courageous move re: Any Dreams?

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#19
Posted: 5/2/07 at 4:53am
So Seamus has gone. Thank the Lord for all good things. and what a bad tempered, bitter, "up his own arse" exit. Quite pathetic really.

He was just a poor mans Leo Sayer, only Leo Sayer is about twice his age and wears it better!

I couldn't be happier that Ben won the sing-off, he rose to the occasion, really pushed it hard and won hands down.

So, now that the smug git has gone - who do we think will take the role and open at the Adelphi on July 6th?
Jade
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Any Dreams?#20
Posted: 5/3/07 at 2:48pm
DeathStar, I am afraid I have to totally disagree with you about Seamus: I thought it was really unfair he went. He's consistently given good performances, while Ben's performances have been patchy (to the point where this was his second time in the bottom two), and pulling it out of the bag once in the sing-off doesn't make up for that. In the hour-long show, ALW got rid of Antony as he was concerned he wouldn't be able to perform eight shows a week. What happened to this concern when deciding between Ben and Seamus?

And I don't blame Seamus for getting angry in the end - I think he's been given a rough ride throughout the show, with all the negative VTs.

As for who will win... I reckon it's between Lee and Daniel. Put it this way: If either of them get it, I'll see the show. If not, I won't bother.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any Dreams?#21
Posted: 5/4/07 at 6:47am
I agree that they took the chance to get rid of Seamus as soon as they could (perhaps understandably as he was undeniably very . . . 'sure of himself') and choosing Ben over him made that perfectly obvious. Not quite sure what he meant by 'conspiracy theory' though - surely it was just that they didn't like him...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any Dreams?#22
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:50am
I'm not sure what he meant by conspiracy either... madness? paranoia? Who knows?

I agree he was consistantm, but he did bore me.

Having said that I watched it the this Saturday just gone, and I was shocked at how bad some of the lads actually are - lifeless, tedious, wooden.

There are maybe only 2 people there who could be in the show.
Jade
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Any Dreams?#23
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:01pm
I think what he meant by "conspiracy theory" was that the show's producers/ALW/panel/whoever decided they didn't want him to be Joseph right from the start, and accordingly he was portrayed in a very negatively in all his VTs. And then he was kicked off in favour of Ben, who was clearly the weaker contestant and who in all likelihood won't win. To be honest, I'm somewhat inclined to agree with him... And I still think it's a shame he didn't get further, as he was one of only 3 people who could realistically do the job.

Last week's show was pretty poor overall. The only ones who sang well were Keith and Daniel, and I couldn't understand why Daniel got such bad comments. I really hope Lee improves next week as he started off so well but his performances have been deteriorating...
Updated On: 5/8/07 at 04:01 PM