Page: 1

Rent Opening In London

lamigon1992
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Rent Opening In London#1
Posted: 2/12/07 at 11:51am
As you may knowthere have been lots of rumours about Rent opening in London. These are all true, one of my friends cousins has got one of the main parts in the show, so i know it is opening in the summer at the national theatre, and Idina Menzel will NOT be reviving her role as Maureen, as it is my friends cousin who is playing this part! Just thought id let everyone know!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Opening In London#2
Posted: 2/12/07 at 12:31pm
Do you know if it will be open by June 28th? Oh I hope it is. We are going to London for 2/3 nights then and it would be fab to finally get to see Rent! Loved the movie so really hope it will be.
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Rent Opening In London#2
Posted: 2/12/07 at 12:31pm
Woo! Thats good to hear
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Opening In London#3
Posted: 2/12/07 at 12:55pm
any more casting news? And who's ur friend?
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
princessofpower Profile Photoprincessofpower Profile Photo
princessofpower
Understudy
Understudy
re: Rent Opening In London#4
Posted: 2/12/07 at 3:13pm
The National??? That seems like an odd place for rent to run!!
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Rent Opening In London#5
Posted: 2/12/07 at 8:55pm
Guys, this is obviously an untrue posting.

1) The National doesnt have any space in its schedule (easily verifiable if you read their website)

2) The National wouldn't touch Rent with a bargepole- its too new for a revival, not massively popular over here commerical wise and its just not their type of show.

NOT gonna happen (at the National at least).
lamigon1992
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Rent Opening In London#6
Posted: 2/13/07 at 10:22am
Well i didnt hear its actually at the national but it makes sense as its going to a big west end theatre where there is more than 1 theatre in the building, this seemsto me that this is the only possible solution
lamigon1992
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Rent Opening In London#7
Posted: 2/13/07 at 10:29am
one more thing, shows have run up to a year at the national befor and nothing is yet 100% comfirmed to go there this summer so Rent may not open there, but this is where the rehersals are now and they are starting to have set made to fit that stage
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Rent Opening In London#8
Posted: 2/13/07 at 10:43am
And why would lamigon1992's friend lie about something like that?
lamigon1992
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Rent Opening In London#9
Posted: 2/13/07 at 10:46am
i cant actually remeber the actress playing maureen but ill find out her name tonight and tell you staright away!
lamigon1992
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Rent Opening In London#10
Posted: 2/13/07 at 10:54am
Just found out if your interested the actress playing Maureen is called Clare Johnson
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Opening In London#11
Posted: 2/13/07 at 11:00am
ive also heard the same thing
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Opening In London#12
Posted: 2/13/07 at 11:23am
Trafalgar Studios has more than one theatre and was originally intended to house the production (reported months ago), though it's not likely to go there any more.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

*MuSiCaLs_FaN* Profile Photo*MuSiCaLs_FaN* Profile Photo
*MuSiCaLs_FaN*
Understudy
Understudy
re: Rent Opening In London#13
Posted: 2/14/07 at 9:39am
They are still looking for a venue for RENT, but rehearsal start in about 2 weeks time, a friend of mine is playing Joanne, it is DEFINATELY going ahead, but atill no news on where!
dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photodramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Opening In London#14
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:19am
If this is true, I hope it goes on before mid-June, as I'm moving back to the States.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
idinacheese
Swing
Swing
re: Rent Opening In London#15
Posted: 2/14/07 at 12:35pm
On casting... I have a feeling that Iain Watkins (H from Steps, who has just been in Big Brother) is going to be in it. I've had two clues - the first was an interview some time ago where he said he was going to be starting in something new in the West End at the end of March (when Rent was originally going to open). The second is this, which I read in the Gay Times about 10 minutes ago:

Q: So what next for our H?
A: ....*lots of irrelevant stuff*.... "Then he ends up doing rent in the West End. Sorry, I meant doing Rent in the West End."

Sounds to me like he's not actually allowed to say it, since it's not been announced, but he's giving clues to those people who know it's coming! Personally, I think it would be a disaster if he had any part in it. Pop stars turned musical theatre actors are far too up themselves. And this guy was bad enough in Joseph.

Thoughts?
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Opening In London#16
Posted: 2/14/07 at 12:37pm
Well, Jon Lee was pretty decent in 'Les Miserables', Stephen Gateley was brilliant in 'Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat', and I remember actually enjoying both Adam Rickitt and Drew Lachey in 'Rent' so... I prefer not to generalise on the basis of previous career moves. I'd rather watch and judge for myself. :P
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Opening In London#17
Posted: 2/15/07 at 10:09am
Adam Rickett was bloody awful in Rent
algy Profile Photoalgy Profile Photo
algy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Rent Opening In London#18
Posted: 2/15/07 at 10:39am
H can at least sing. He did camp it up a lot in Joseph, but I can't remember him being actively out of tune, and I was in the second row (tkts, don't ask - ex boyfriend).
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Opening In London#19
Posted: 2/16/07 at 8:18am
I remember seeing Adam Rickett in Rent in Bristol. Thankfully, he was only on for the first act.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Opening In London#20
Posted: 2/16/07 at 8:56am
His vocal was average and his acting was awful,

i wish they would stop putting names in to shows like this when it doesnt need them
Jwaa
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Rent Opening In London#21
Posted: 2/17/07 at 5:20pm
i heard sound theatre in leicester square was a rumoured option, an d i know that that the black guy from soapstar superstar is in it, it said so in the programme to a concert he did last sunday
x
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Rent Opening In London#22
Posted: 2/18/07 at 7:55am
isn't the sound theatre being knocked down to make a hotel or something? i remember being really sad when it was announced, i loooved that theatre.
fairygodmother Profile Photofairygodmother Profile Photo
fairygodmother
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Rent Opening In London#23
Posted: 2/18/07 at 6:15pm
yeah i think the Sound is no more

well ian (H) has done a year's musical theatre postgrad since being famous (just before he went off on the jospeh tour), which shows a commitment to getting better at this stuff - ubnlike people like adam rickett, simply threre cos of a supposed name and his abs. and bloody hell he was dreadful.

ian made an excellent Baker in Into The Woods at college, for a start, so it shows that he can do more than Joseph. what he'd be like at more rocky stuff remains to be seen - it would be interesting to hear what he did with Mark.