Page: 1

Don Johnson in Guys and Dolls

MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don Johnson in Guys and Dolls#1
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:22pm
Anyone seen him in the show? How is he? I've been looking for some professional reviews, but I haven't found any yet.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
holden Profile Photoholden Profile Photo
holden
Understudy
Understudy
re: Don Johnson in Guys and Dolls#2
Posted: 1/21/07 at 4:49pm
I saw Don Johnson (and the show) on Friday the 19th. He was my first famous person crush, when I was 13, so I felt a "need" to go.

I thought he did a very good job. It was strange seeing him in the middle of a big, fairly traditional musical -- I am used to seeing him in more edgy stuff, making use of his notoriously (in the 80s at least) expressive eyes -- but he had real stage presence, and was charming. He seemed to be enjoying himself. He is a competent singer. His delivery isn't always totally "musical theatre", but it was solid, and sometimes great.

The audience was a bit obnoxious, but many would say that that's better than a disinterested or silent audience. Don Johnson got entrance squeals.

It should be said, too, that the rest of the cast was great too. I was impressed.

MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Don Johnson in Guys and Dolls#2
Posted: 1/25/07 at 12:19pm
Thanks for letting me know what you thought of the show. Glad to hear you had a good time.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Jeanien
Swing
Swing
aaaaaa#3
Posted: 2/8/07 at 3:23pm

Updated On: 5/6/07 at 03:23 PM
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Don Johnson in Guys and Dolls#4
Posted: 2/22/07 at 2:02pm
Some of my best friends went to see it, and believe me when I say they know what they're talking about. They said he was complete rubbish.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
ILoveMyDictionary Profile PhotoILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Don Johnson in Guys and Dolls#5
Posted: 2/24/07 at 6:45pm
He wasn't terrible, but IMO he was one of the weaker ones in the cast.