Page: 1

Carrie Workshop - I guess not?

elvisitis1302 Profile Photoelvisitis1302 Profile Photo
elvisitis1302
Stand-by
Stand-by
Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#1
Posted: 11/8/06 at 6:16pm
So did this never happen? I know there was so much talk of it a few months ago, but I guess it was a misleading rumor? If anyone can, PLEASE correct me!
rockfenris2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#1
Posted: 11/9/06 at 9:51am
Yes, I second this. What's the news on this??

Or is it just a stupid rumour?
TheaterBoy7777 Profile PhotoTheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#2
Posted: 11/21/06 at 7:05pm
Checkout my Broadway Marquee Store http://www.zazzle.com/broadwayflasher
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#3
Posted: 11/21/06 at 7:43pm
The small workshop was due to take place months ago under a different name but i dont know if it did.
Dean Pitchford issn't standing in the way anymore so i wouldn't be supprised if it played again in new york soon.

It was supposed to be opening in New York a few years ago and was even listed on some ticket websites but it never went ahead.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#4
Posted: 11/21/06 at 8:00pm
Do we really want to let this car crash rear its ugly head again?
LuPonatic Profile PhotoLuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#5
Posted: 11/23/06 at 5:35pm
This is a LEGENDARY car crash. however bad it is, I bet you it will SELL OUT if it was brought back. Everybody would want to see it!
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#6
Posted: 11/24/06 at 2:39am
umm i very much doubt that.

I think the problem doesent really start with the score or even the cast, its teh source material. Why the hell would anyone want to make a musical out of Carrie. A stripped down version may work slightly better than the full blown Broadway catastrophe, but i for one am still not convinced.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#7
Posted: 11/24/06 at 2:49pm
But you could say just the same of Sweeney Todd- how could that ever work as a musical?

It's all in the treatment.

I am convinced that Carrie COULD work, but it would take a director of vision, impeccable judgement and nerve to do it.
TheEnchantedHunter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#8
Posted: 11/25/06 at 1:18am

Stupid rumor for a stupid show. Leave it to theater people to try to revive a stillborn show. Idiots.

Regina Giddens
Hiding The Medicine
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#9
Posted: 11/25/06 at 2:09pm
Though not on the scale of 'Carrie', neiher 'Chicago' nor 'Sweeney Todd' were sucesses in London first time round. Successful revivals have followed however.

'Merrily We Roll Along' died on its ass on Broadway, yet the Donmar revival gained great acclaim!

Shows can be ahead of their time, or suffer a poor initial production. It doesn't mean we can't try again.
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#10
Posted: 11/26/06 at 11:44am
i'm all up for trying again, and Chicago and Sweeney Todd have indeed had better success second time round, but it's the source material for Carrie that i find disturbing for a musical, but I'd be happy to eat my words if i'm proved wrong.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#11
Posted: 11/26/06 at 7:33pm
Paulyd

Im gonna take a wild guess and say you never saw carrie.

Ive got an amazing dvd cds etc of carrie and the show itself was very intresting.
The music between carrie and her mother was jaw dropping even the critics had to say(inc the author of the book Not since Carrie) that it was well written.
The problem's came with the teen scenes and the bloody awfull stageing by Terry hands who tried to turn the story in to a greek morality tale using simple images and color to represent good and bad.
Carrie needed to be set agains a real life american high school to do justice to the story.

The thing what amazes me about Carrie is that if you take away the telekenises it's just a simple story what nearly every broadway musical and opera use as a pallet for there story's(this would not be out of place as an opera).

What people say was heartbreaking about Carrie was its many high points been over looked by it's low points.The show was also never dull(like so many of todays shows).

Carrie managed to hit the heights that had critics praising it whilst at the same time falling so low it left other critics bashing it.

As Ken Mandelbaum said the score could easily be saved,and with the right team behind it Carrie could be a great show.

I for one hope it returns soon.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#12
Posted: 11/27/06 at 12:51am
Songanddanceman2

Well i'm sorry to disapoint you, but i saw a bootleg verison of the show and heard the score a couple of years ago, and nothing is going to change my mind. Indeed the staging is poor, and is unfairly stuck in that dodgy 80's vortex, but it is just an appaling show.

Like most monumental flops it has a dedicated following which is fine in my opinion, but i even dont think that a stripped down version is really gonna save it.

Gore wrote some great stuff for 'Fame' but none of that is repeated here.

I'll tell you what though, if it ever does see the light of day over here i'll buy a couple of tickets just so you can prove me wrong
Jwaa
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#13
Posted: 12/15/06 at 8:36pm
i think carrie is awesome, seriously spine-tingling overwhelming power can be found within it, even the clips that were on youtube, i think look so epic,
i mean they did it, they made a musical out of carrie and they did it so well!

its just never gonna be widely popular, it just cant at the moment, there will be a time for it though, that i do belive.

xxxx
PaigeByPaige
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#14
Posted: 12/16/06 at 4:53am
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?

I think the score was superb. Ok, I only know three songs but I really like them ("When There's No One" on Betty Buckley's album, "Carrie" on Linzi Hateley's album 'Sooner or later' and the great duet "Unsuspecting Hearts" from the album with the same name by Emily Skinner and Alice Ripley).

I would buy a ticket for a revival!

All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists. - Stephen Sondheim
Nycboi23
Understudy
Understudy
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#15
Posted: 1/19/07 at 11:19am
Carrie Forever!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#16
Posted: 1/19/07 at 2:22pm
I would love to produce the show in an intimate off-West End venue! It could be scary as...

Having heard the whole score, it wipes the floor with almost everything that has openend in the last couple of years!
Disneyland Magic Man
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Carrie Workshop - I guess not?#17
Posted: 2/24/07 at 6:07pm
I really hope this workshop happened. Certain things lead me to believe that it didn't. In an email I recieved from Dean Pitchford a couple weeks ago, he stated,

"As for "Carrie," I'm also happy that you might want to put our show back up on its feet. Unfortunately, we have never put the materials into any shape for rental, i.e., there are no script or score parts printed that can be loaned out. Getting this material into proper shape would require a massive effort -- and an extensive rehearsal/production period with hands-on participation by my collaborators and myself. That may happen one day, but, for now, there is no "show" to share."

This was in response to my Carrie petition on the internet (the release the rights to the show one).

I'm friends with one the conductors on the original production of Annie in New York (and many other broadway projects) who also has spoken with Pitchford about the show being produced again as a concert here in Los Angeles. Aparently after creative control of the show went to Terry Hands and Debbie Allen, the authors had little say as to how the show was represented (i.e. Director and Choreographer told them what changes to make, what to cut, etc). After the negative reviews in Stratford, the authors were suposedly locked out of rehearsals and the only creative input given to them was the writting of the song It Hurts to Be Strong for Sue to sing.

Because of that, Dean Pitchford doesn't feel what opened in either Stratford or on Broadway was a representation of what he, Michael Gore, and Lawrence D Cohen wrote. Which explains why he told me that there was no "show" to let out, ha.

Bobby.