Page: 1

New Starlight express tour

benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New Starlight express tour#0
Posted: 8/17/06 at 6:04am
Hey Guys, I saw the last starlight tour twice in southampton and loved it. Now it is touring the smaller theatres and also going to some bigger theatres aswell like The mayflower again. Does any1 know if they are changing the set to fit the smaller theatres cos i am seein it in Bournemouth and it is a tiny stage compared to the Mayflower?? Is it gonna do what Miss Saigon did? Tour with the new set to all the theatres??
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Starlight express tour#1
Posted: 8/17/06 at 8:07am
I don't know the answer to your question, but every time this show goes round it seems to get smaller. Frankly, it's not a great show - the entertainment comes from the spectacle of the thing. Without the necessary spectacle, it's just some people on roller skates dressed in junk singing cheesy 80's songs...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New Starlight express tour#2
Posted: 8/17/06 at 9:41am
eastwickian i agree 100 percent

Starlight was an awfull show when it was on in london it was the spectacle that kept it alive.Now they have taken that away it has nothing going for it.
Broadway got smart to this show and closed it quickly ,i cant belive it ran for so long in london as it really is one of the worst musicals.
Updated On: 8/17/06 at 09:41 AM
Unmasked05 Profile PhotoUnmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Starlight express tour#3
Posted: 8/20/06 at 12:49am
So I live in the US and this show came to Birmingham, Alabama and I thought it was going to be a huge show like it was in Las Vegas but NOOOOO, it was a 3D show which was pretty cool.
Facebook...ME !!!
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: New Starlight express tour#4
Posted: 8/20/06 at 3:43pm
The new tour is largely the same as the last one, but it is scaled down in so much as it no longer extends into the audience. This change is the case in all theatres.
princessofpower Profile Photoprincessofpower Profile Photo
princessofpower
Understudy
Understudy
re: New Starlight express tour#5
Posted: 8/20/06 at 3:47pm
Unmasked 05, I saw it in the US too (I live in Vegas) but never saw it here, as I am recent to Vegas. Anyhoo....I saw it in LA and it was OK. I was just so used to the London Show that I was shocked when the girls came out for Call Me Rusty and were all "sexy lady like"....no more "train like" costumes.

However, for that kind of show to tour, they did good with the set and the races....not alot more that could have been done.

I believe the UK tour is the same show, ie, they are using the US Tour set and costumes??? Its worth seing Johnboy, since you are a Starlight fan!!!
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile PhotoCaroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Starlight express tour#6
Posted: 8/20/06 at 5:55pm
the recent US tour with the 3D glasses was awful.

I saw the show before it closed in London and it was a good time with some slightly catchy music... def. doesn't deserve the life it's getting
"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed
Unmasked05 Profile PhotoUnmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Starlight express tour#7
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:41am
I went through a Starlight Express phase...its still my guilty pleasure. I wish I could have seen the show when it was on Broadway with the huge set and all but I was born in 86'
Facebook...ME !!!
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New Starlight express tour#8
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:49pm
I just cant understand how this show did so well over here as its awfull.
You would have prob missed it on broadway even if you were old enough to see it when it opened,the show closed so quite early on(americans got on to the fact it was awfull).
dramatothemax Profile Photodramatothemax Profile Photo
dramatothemax
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Starlight express tour#9
Posted: 8/24/06 at 3:11am
I saw the Starlight tour in Las Vegas....I think I still have my 3D glasses and I gag a little everytime I look at them. Terrible show. At least the roller skating 80's singers didn't whip out "Jellical trains"...
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Starlight express tour#10
Posted: 8/25/06 at 3:29pm
I saw the tour in Dublin last week. No, it doesn't extend into the audience anymore, but the performers themselves were top notch.

I don't agree that it's an awful musical, it's just different. Yes, the spectacle is really the important thing, and I really like the spectacle. i saw it in London and germany (Bochum), and it was great. However, this tour is good but lacks that extra edge the original had. Though I must admit it'll never be the greatest of musicals by anyone's standards, but it's a fun show.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller