MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#1
Posted: 3/3/11 at 11:13am
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!
Which one is Ann?

Ann Widdecombe has signed up for a pantomime role, despite once famously declaring she had “no desire to launch a showbiz career”.
Now it seems the 'Strictly Come Dancing' star has had a change of heart.
The former Tory MP will now be reunited with sharp-tongued judge Craig Revel Horwood on stage.

The pair, who were on tour with Strictly Come Dancing' together, have been signed up to appear in 'Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs' at the Orchard Theatre in Dartford, Kent, next Christmas.
Revel Horwood will play the Wicked Queen as he has done for the last 3 Christams seasons.
Ann will play his evil faithful servant, Widdy In Waiting.

Ann, 63, said: “I can hardly believe all the wonderful opportunities which have opened up. Craig and I have enormous fun and we can make that infectious.”
Michael Harrison, of panto company Qdos, said: “I am sure the audiences will love her.”

Updated On: 3/3/11 at 11:13 AM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#2
Posted: 3/3/11 at 11:22am

Her sights must surely be on a West End debut soon.

Updated On: 3/3/11 at 11:22 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#2
Posted: 3/3/11 at 3:16pm
Can we please remember her political record?

A loveable, dotty old aunt she ain't!
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#3
Posted: 3/3/11 at 3:39pm
Yep, can't say I've got a lot of time for Ann "homosexual acts are wrongful" Widdecombe, personally. Horrendous woman, and the thought of her becoming some kind of national treasure is sickening.

*gets off soapbox*
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#4
Posted: 3/3/11 at 5:37pm
Do we need another pointless thread of panto, where the majority don't give a damn about?
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#5
Posted: 3/3/11 at 6:04pm
OH YES WE DO!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#6
Posted: 3/3/11 at 6:38pm
Do we need threads where you pull apart professional people with no regard to there talent! NO WE DONT!
I think enough people have commented on your recent posts, Weez put it perfectly, for you to consider maybe just taking your childish, and offensive, remarks to the Broadway board where you'll be much more appreciated.

You were once a great poster on this board but we now see you as nothing more than someone who just incites trouble just like the kids on the 'other' board.

POL, i did PM you two weeks ago asking you to maybe explain why you have suddenly turned so nasty in ypur posts and so negative to most peoples posting but you have chosen not to answer. After us speaking many times via PMs on different subjects, even me arranging free theatre tickets for a trip to Madrid you did, you have just chosen to continue on this route.
Baffling but there you go.

Updated On: 3/3/11 at 06:38 PM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#7
Posted: 3/3/11 at 7:01pm
POL, what we don't need is you acting as the thread police. Some of us want to discuss this topic on the discussion board, so try to cope with it.

At the moment, there are threads on Elaine Paige's concerts, Steph Fearon's album and the Shoes CD, none of which interest me. The solution: I don't read them.

Why don't you try that strategy, and let those of us who want to discuss this topic get on with it without pointless carping?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#8
Posted: 3/4/11 at 6:33pm
Thank you for your considered and thoughtful reply and the compliment that "I was a great poster" and so are you, sometimes, your threads rely on quantity over quality and tend to overwhelm the 'West End' board like it is a competition who can post the most threads which again could be viewed as "childish", however your threads have some brilliant thread titles which I am very envious of and enjoy reading most of your threads.

I am kind of mystified by your comment where I have "pull apart professional people" please clarify?

You did send me a 'personal message', a couple of weeks ago, with the title 'what's up with you lately?', But with no message, I don't understand why you sent me that, I thought it was very offensive, but if you put a sentence in it, I would of viewed it differently. We did send each other the occasional message and used to have a good laugh, but somewhere in the last year, I have offended you, I don't know what I said, but you have posted a couple of nasty comments over the year aimed at me, which threads escape me? So I just meet fire with fire!

As you used Weez's comments as a example, which is a very bad example IMO, Weez completely misread and misconstrued my thread and unfortunately put a personal comment on it, where she ended up with 'egg on her face' the thread (Phantom mourns) turned out with healthy debate on it, what this board is for and what I enjoy as for your original comment on it '!?' I am still scratching my head what that actually means?

You did arrange free tickets for me for 'Grease' in Madrid a couple of years back, which I was and still am very grateful for, not so much for the tickets, but more for the gesture.

As for the Broadway board, I do from time to time stray over there, normally under my alias as 'Kyle4' but my real home is the West End board, where I do enjoy posting and reading like minded peoples views.

devonian,t I am not the web police and do not consider myself so, perhaps if you are on the look out for web police, then you should be more consistent and commented on "Mama's" very nasty comment aimed at Mallardo on the 'Wizard preview thread', I have a lot of time for Mallardo and it is very nice for a American drops in on the West End Board from time to time.

http://westend.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?page=2&thread=1027831&boardid=3

However devonian I always enjoy reading your views on other threads and have a lot of respect for you otherwise.

72arodney
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#9
Posted: 3/4/11 at 7:11pm
POL, did you study self-defence with Richard Keys?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#10
Posted: 3/4/11 at 7:19pm

Updated On: 3/4/11 at 07:19 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#11
Posted: 3/4/11 at 7:35pm
I feel the Phantom needs someone in his corner here and I am more than happy to take up position there. First of all, I don't see anything particularly wrong or offensive in anything he has posted. I don't always agree with his views but that's nothing - hardly anyone ever agrees with me lol.

I think POL has a very individual, dry and perhaps overly subtle sense of humour and often I believe people misconstrue or fail to "get" it. I am 100% positive there is never even a hint of malice in anything he says.

I have had the pleasure of sharing POL's company a number of times in London and in New York and I can personally vouch that he is a top rate guy with a heart of gold. So, give him some slack, guys. The board would be a poorer place without him.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#12
Posted: 3/5/11 at 4:11am
Loving the Dorothy picture. Toofunny.com lol. I totally agree with MariusPontmercy and encourage to get back on his soap box and start handing out leaflets. She seems pretty brave to me though... comments like that and taking part in panto. Brave... or silly!
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#13
Posted: 3/5/11 at 6:50am
Care to tell me what 'nasty' comment I made to Malladro? on the WOZ thread? (take a look at your reply to Clap Yo Hands on that very thread f you want to point out rude/nasty comments!)
What a ridiculous comment to say that I try to post more than anyone else and its like a competition. I post things that I find interesting, funny & that I think most people would be pleased to read. Some subjects are obscure, yes, but those kind of threads usually attract comments like 'thanks for the info' etc from a number of readers!
Sorry that I'm in a position where I get sent scores of emails daily with info that I want to share with people on here,
Sorry that I have I have the knowledge from 40 years in the business I do have that I want to share with people on here- your the only one who has commented in a negative way!
This worlds is far too serious and will always find a way to lighten things up and that is how how I am as a person and everyone who knows that. I will bring that to this board as I have done the last 5 years. I am famed for my sense of humour. I find it strange that just suddenly you have decided to hit out at my posts and others in such a non POL way!
Your comment about how musicians have it easy and just sit in an orchestra pit for 2 hrs is far more nasty a comment than any I have paid on these boards.
Again the thread 'Phantom Mourns again belittles the industry that you seem to try and show you enjoy but don't respect.
I am more than happy to bring up past threads that you have shown your sudden change of thought to towards this board but I dont want to as I feel this has already gone to far.

Updated On: 3/5/11 at 06:50 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#14
Posted: 3/5/11 at 7:22am
Revel Horwood? I can remember when he was just Craig Horwood, nickname "lavish" (on account of his eyelashes).
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#15
Posted: 3/5/11 at 1:31pm
And yes, back to the point of this thread, what is she actually going to be able to do?

It reminds of the Bristol panto with Mickey Rooney, where all he could do was come on and sit on a chair!

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#16
Posted: 3/5/11 at 2:11pm
Thanks for the nice reference Bob, you too are a nice bloke and a walking ‘wikipedia’ when it comes to theatre, especially musicals.

Just to answer the points you raised Mama;

"Care to tell me what 'nasty' comment I made to Malladro?"

Where Mallardo posted, then you commented on his question, then Musicalboy posted.

"On the WOZ thread? (take a look at your reply to Clap Yo Hands on that very thread f you want to point out rude/nasty comments!)"

My retort to 'Clapyourhands' after calling me a "dick again"after objectively answering your question.

"What a ridiculous comment to say that I try to post more than anyone else and its like a competition. I post things that I find interesting, funny & that I think most people would be pleased to read. Some subjects are obscure, yes, but those kind of threads usually attract comments like 'thanks for the info' etc from a number of readers!"

Yes, I have been one who in the past have said to you thanks for the info, where it warrants it, I even remember a thread you done with incredible information and said in the very thread it should be published.

But I stand by my point, you sometimes 'swarm' the board with obscure threads, but that is my opinion and others might enjoy those threads.

“Sorry that I'm in a position where I get sent scores of emails daily with info that I want to share with people on here,
Sorry that I have I have the knowledge from 40 years in the business I do have that I want to share with people on here- your the only one who has commented in a negative way!”

That can be subjective, due to a thread you done about a year ago.

This worlds is far too serious and will always find a way to lighten things up and that is how how I am as a person and everyone who knows that. I will bring that to this board as I have done the last 5 years. I am famed for my sense of humour. I find it strange that just suddenly you have decided to hit out at my posts and others in such a non POL way!

My apologies if I have offended anyone, but I cannot see where I have offended anyone in a ‘non POL’ way.

I am sure you have got a famed sense of humour, in fact I have seen it on this board, I also have a good sense of humour, which can be zany at times, long may your sense of humour continue on here and that you keep up your healthy posting.

"Your coment about how musicians have it easy and just sit in an orchestra pit for 2 hrs is far more nasty a comment than any I have paid on these boards."

The reference you are referring to, is on the 'Les Miserable thread upgrade' the thread you created and these were my actual comments were;

‘Muscicians do a terrific job for musicals, but they must have the easiest job in the whole world, they don't have to learn their music, it is scored in front of them? They only have to warm up 5 minutes before the show and gone before the final cutain comes down? what a doss?’

Bit of a tongue in cheek comment by me, then I tried to give my comment a bit more clarity.

‘My comments aren't a critism of the orchestra profession, they do an extremely good job which is often thankless, to reach their high standard must take years of practice. My comment was more of a observation, no need of them to turn up early for the show as nothing for them to do and after the play out, they are done.

If they can do there job well and turn up 15 minutes before a performance and gone 5 minutes after the show, well good luck to them.’

No way what I was saying about musicians is/was disrespectful, the point I was trying to make is that musicians have it a lot easier job than actors.

Musicians do not have to learn their lines like actors, it is scored in front of them and the tempo is dictated by a conductor, where actors have to spend days learning their lines to perfection, I honestly do not know how the acting profession remember it all!

Musicians do not have to go and have make up or costumes fitted before every performance, they do not have to warm up when none of the paying public are in the auditorium, you often here musicians warm up just before the performance, so I made the point they could wing it, this could be viewed as being disrespectful depends on the context it is taken, but ultimately the comment I made is true.

As I said to become a musician takes years of learning to get to the top of their profession and their wouldn't be a show without them, they do a terrific job.

Then a bit later in the thread, you go and attack tube drivers?

http://westend.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?page=1&thread=1028266&boardid=0

"Again the thread 'Phantom Mourns again belittles the industry that you seem to try and show you enjoy but don't respect."

Sorry I don't see how this thread has become 'disrespectful', everyone makes disrespectful comments about the theatre personnel and industry when they make any criticism, you done it yourself with comments on 'Rock of Ages' and Million Dollar Quartet', I view your comment as fair, but not disrespectful, even though it is in the negative context.

The actual thread was done in pictures to merely point out how many jukebox/tribute shows are taking over the West End, which I think is a very valid point and a point most people received well, which carried over to a healthy debate. I agree the West End is swamped with these shows, but it is market forces that dictate what is shown in a theatre.

Still please show me how I have been ‘disrespectful’ against the theatre profession, more disproportionately than others?

I am more than happy for you to bring up past threads and would be intrigued at your examples you choose to show.

Updated On: 3/5/11 at 02:11 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#17
Posted: 3/5/11 at 2:41pm
...and so you go on and on.
Funny its only you that has taken such care to go on and and on about my postings. Not one other person has comment in such a way, mostly they join in and you yourself have done so to.
So maybe you need to explain to me why you are now making this very personal.
Maybe I'll take some time out and find a few of your gems!

Dont try and cover yourself about the insult you paid to musicians as other posters comments are there to be seen and nobody saw it as tongue in cheek.

What a sad way youve sent this whole thing, shame on you.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#18
Posted: 3/5/11 at 6:30pm
Phantom of London, I am both a musician and an actor. I find what you are saying both utterly offensive and entirely untrue.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ann In Panto? Oh Yes She Is!#19
Posted: 3/6/11 at 1:37pm
Whatever I say about the musician, you are going to have the opinion that I was trying to insult them, I am not coming on here to justify myself as I just want to move on and comment on theatre related issues, I am sure you do too?
Also I don't like doing my dirty laundry in public, where this thread is starting to turn into a kind of tit for tat freak show.
As you point out you are famed for your good sense of humour a bit like me there and I believe you are a genuine nice and kind chap, hence the comp tickets you got me for Grease in Madrid and kind of knowing you on here for 3-4 years.
What I like to do before things get 'plain silly' is draw a line in the sand and start a new, I apoligise about my flippant comment, near the beginning of this thread, now lets put this behind us, I hope you except this olive branch?
As I said in this thread earlier on, whatever I have done over this year to upset you or offend you, if I have can you PM me?
Same sentiment goes to you ClapYo'Hands?

Updated On: 3/6/11 at 01:37 PM