Page: 1

Charity Has A Rival

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charity Has A Rival#1
Posted: 9/24/10 at 12:30pm
The Theatre Royal Bath touring production of Richard Brinsley Sheridan's 'The Rivals' will open in the West End this Winter.

Theatre Royal Haymarket, London.
Opening Nov 23rd.
Previews 10th Nov.
Closing 26th Feb 2011.

The production will star Penelope Keith and Peter Bowles.
Directed by Sir Peter Hall.

It’s 1775 and the fashionable world descends on Bath, to take the waters, show off its finery, enjoy the gossip and pursue romance. Among them are some of the most extraordinary comic characters to grace the stage: the verbally misguided Mrs Malaprop, her absurdly romantic niece, Lydia Languish, the blinkered Sir Anthony Absolute, the blustering Irishman Sir Lucius O’Trigger and the bumpkin Bob Acres. Throughout the course of a single day these suitors and schemers and their servants indulge in an assortment of extravagant intrigues before everyone is finally and satisfactorily coupled.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charity Has A Rival#2
Posted: 9/26/10 at 10:36am
I saw it last week out in Richmond. Penelope Keith and Peter Bowles were wonderful as was, especially, Tony Gardner as Faulkland, the truest and most interesting character in the play. I didn't like either of the juve leads however which put a bit of a hole in the production. Enjoyable but not likely to create much of a stir I shouldn't think.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!