Page: 1

What to see in the West End?

RachS
Swing
Swing
What to see in the West End?#1
Posted: 9/23/10 at 4:15am
I'm trying to broaden my experience of the West End (having seen only Wicked, Legally Blonde, Sister Act, The 39 Steps and Chicago-all of which I loved). I'm hoping to get down to London in the next few weeks to see something, any ideas what might be a good starting point? Opinions much appreciated!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to see in the West End?#2
Posted: 9/23/10 at 7:39am
Why not pop out of the West End 5 stops down the Northern Line and see on of the best things you will see this year- 'Closoer Than Ever ' at the Landor Theatre- simply stunning!
Cher
Understudy
Understudy
What to see in the West End?#2
Posted: 9/23/10 at 7:48am

Try to catch Sweet Charity before it closes on Nov 6.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to see in the West End?#3
Posted: 9/23/10 at 8:03am
I know I say it every time a recommendation thread comes up, but WAR HORSE is still one of the best things running in the West End. All My Sons, Ghost Stories, and Deathtrap all have fans as well.

Musicals...nothing's got me excited right now. But see Avenue Q before it closes if you haven't been yet.
RachS
Swing
Swing
What to see in the West End?#4
Posted: 9/23/10 at 11:13am
I've got lots to consider there! Musicals are more my thing, although I'd definately give non-musicals a go. Thanks for the advice!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to see in the West End?#5
Posted: 9/23/10 at 1:50pm
I can't say I find the current state of West End musicals very appealing (next year should be cracking though!), but you MUST see War Horse!

Just see anything and everything you can. You never know what you're going to end up loving. :)
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to see in the West End?#6
Posted: 9/23/10 at 4:50pm
IMO Billy Elliot is the best musical currently playing at a West End theatre so that would be one to see for sure. Avenue Q's a close second, so you should try to see that before it closes at the end of October.

And I would echo what Mama wrote - go see Closer Than Ever if you're in London before its short run ends on October 9th. NO ONE WHO LOVES MUSICAL THEATRE AND CAN GET TO LONDON BEFORE IT CLOSES SHOULD MISS THIS SHOW. I cannot find adequate words to describe how wonderful a production this is.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to see in the West End?#7
Posted: 9/23/10 at 6:53pm
Sweet Charity, Sweet Charity, Sweet Charity.

Or go old school and see Phantom or Les Mis (Great cast currently in Les Mis with the concert stars dropping in)
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to see in the West End?#8
Posted: 9/23/10 at 6:59pm
Phantom and Les Mis are "OLD school"? lmao
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What to see in the West End?#9
Posted: 9/24/10 at 7:02am
Well, let's face it - MIS is 25 years old now. When it originally opened, SOUND OF MUSIC and GYPSY were 25 years old - were they "old school" already by then?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to see in the West End?#10
Posted: 9/24/10 at 8:21am
I just thought it was funny when it said Sweet Charity OR GO OLD SCHOOL to Les Mis & Phantom, when Sweet Charity was written around 20 years before either of them.
Updated On: 9/24/10 at 08:21 AM
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to see in the West End?#11
Posted: 9/24/10 at 12:40pm
I meant in terms of production...
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to see in the West End?#12
Posted: 9/24/10 at 12:46pm
If your not gonna stray outside the West End a little then put War Horse top of your list!
MusicAngel Profile PhotoMusicAngel Profile Photo
MusicAngel
Stand-by
Stand-by
What to see in the West End?#13
Posted: 9/26/10 at 9:01pm
IMO Billy Elliot is the best musical currently playing at a West End theatre so that would be one to see for sure.

Thank goodness I saw this thread because I'm going to Europe in November for the 1st time. I just have to watch a show in the West End. In fact, I'm planning on seeing Billy Elliot. Sorry to piggy back on this thread, but I didn't want to start a whole new one. I just need all your expertise on how to get discounted tix for this show if available.

Are there discounts, discount codes, and/or booths similar for shows on Broadway (TKTS, Playbill, Broadwaybox, etc)? Thanks so much!

exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to see in the West End?#14
Posted: 9/27/10 at 3:31am
Broadwaybox has a London site. Also check out the discounts listed on the fantastic theatremonkey.com (along with the indispensible seating charts) and lastminute.com