Page: 1

Favourite Composer

CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Favourite Composer#1
Posted: 5/30/10 at 6:52am
Inspired by the ALW and Sondheim thread, but these are two topics specifically for ALW and Sondheim fans, so let's open it up abit, who is you all time favourite composer, whether it's for there repeat success, or one show by them that completely stole your Theatre heart!

I'll Start:
This may seem abit odd, and hypocritical as I try to make it well known that I am not a fan of traditional or "typical" musicals, and I prefer my "off the wall" and bizarre shows, but my favourite composer, HAS to be Jerry Herman. I love everyone one of his shows, from Milk and Honey to Mame. With Jerry's Girls being my ALL TIME favourite review show, and La Cage probably ranking top of my Musical favourites.

So, what does everyone else think??
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Favourite Composer#2
Posted: 5/30/10 at 6:56am
Alan Menken (I loved The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Sister Act)
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Favourite Composer#2
Posted: 5/30/10 at 8:46am
Leonard Bernstein.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Favourite Composer#3
Posted: 5/30/10 at 9:36am
William Finn.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
soundofnuns Profile Photosoundofnuns Profile Photo
soundofnuns
Understudy
Understudy
Favourite Composer#4
Posted: 5/30/10 at 9:53am
Alistair McGuckian
Hulmeman Profile PhotoHulmeman Profile Photo
Hulmeman
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Favourite Composer#5
Posted: 5/30/10 at 6:56pm
As a "general" composer, I love the work of John Barry. His scores for Born Free, Dances with Wolves and of course James Bond are beyond brilliant. He also wrote a pretty decent musical in "Billy" and his song for Shirley Bassey cd "The performance" is wonderfully atmospheric.

Pure MT? Has to be Jerry Herman and Stephen Sondheim for me, oh, and Rogers and Hammerstein and David Heneker and ALW and Boubil and Shernthingy and Cole Porter and oh I don't know, ask me a simple question to start with.............
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Favourite Composer#6
Posted: 5/30/10 at 8:28pm
Stephen Sondheim; but also huge fan of Andrew Lippa, Jason Robert Brown and really loving Jason Howland right now. Oh and Maury Yeston! What kind of mean-almost-impossible-to-answer-with-one-name-for-the-majority-of-us question is this anyway? :P
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II