Page: 1

Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call#1
Posted: 2/21/10 at 3:38am
Driving into work this morning, I was listening to 'in conversation with Steve Allen' on LBC, he did a hour long interview with Shelia Hancock.

They normally repeat this show at 9pm tonight, so recommend you listen, I cannot confirm if it is on at 9pm tonight as I am at work, they do not allow the LBC website through their filters, so cannot confirm unfortunately, can some one be a darling and look on the LBC website and confirm if the interview will be on again please?

If it is on, you can receive LBC in London on 97.3FM or on DAB which you can get in other parts of the country or Sky channel 1024 or internet.

I will be grateful if someone can get back with the answer, enjoy your listening.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call#2
Posted: 2/21/10 at 3:50pm
Yep - the schedule says it's on again PoL so I'll give it a listen.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call#2
Posted: 2/21/10 at 4:56pm
You are a star.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call#3
Posted: 2/22/10 at 6:30am
Did anyone here the interview?
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call#4
Posted: 2/22/10 at 6:39am
One of the first theatre things I saw on TV was a south bank show special on the rehearsal process of the London Sweeney Todd. I never hear anyone talking about how she was in the show. Did anyone see it with her?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call#5
Posted: 2/22/10 at 9:26am
I saw it three times in its very short run. We have, in many different threads on here, spoken about Ms Hancock in the role especially since she was announced to open in 'Sister Act'
It was a stunning performance and if I was give the choice who I would like to see do it right now it wold be Ms Hancock over Ms Lansbury -no problem.
The critics hated the physical production and the audiences stayed away night after night. At one performance I saw on a Friday night there no more than 100 in the entire theatre.
A musical theatre highlight of my life.

The South Bank Show you mention is on YouTube!
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call#6
Posted: 2/23/10 at 1:36pm
Totally agree with Mama about this being a theatrical highlight. I saw 'Sweeney Todd' in preview and from the ear-piercing whistle at the start, it totally blew me away. Quilley and Hancock were a revelation, others in the cast included Michael Staniforth as Tobias, Andrew C Wadsworth as Anthony, Austin Kent as Judge Turpin, Mandy More as Johanna and David Wheldon-Williams as Beadle.

It was a Saturday and the men's final at Wimbledon (possibly the greatest)was being played and the final went to a 5 setter between Borg and McEnroe. The late finish of this meant a very tight deadline to reach the theatre on time, I did and this show made the game insignificant in comparison!

It received mixed reviews but still won he Olivier Award for Best Musical and rightly so. For me, this is the finest musical written.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call#7
Posted: 2/23/10 at 1:51pm
No one will ever forget that whistle! lol
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call#8
Posted: 2/24/10 at 2:34am
I watched the (10 part!) South Bank Show last night. Apart from being extraordiarily interesting (did eveveryone have a cigarette attached to their right hand all the time?), it shows how even the best of the few arts programmes we have today assume a lack of attention span...
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shelia Hancock - How I Got The Call#9
Posted: 2/28/10 at 5:20pm
I saw her in it too. My parents took me to see it and we were the only three people in the first seven rows of the theatre. She sang By The Sea straight to me and she was hilarious.