Page: 1

Love Never Dies - Logo NOT designed by Dewynters

mikeysussex
Understudy
Understudy
I notice that the credit for the 'Love Never Dies' logo is credited to 'OutsideLine'. Is this the first time that Really Useful have not used Dewynters for their poster, or is there another reason?
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dewynters designs to me are kind of, well sterile. Surely they aren't the only designers in town, so why not spread the work around a bit?
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Historically Really Useful and Cameron Mackintosh shows have always had their print, design and marketing managed by dewynters...This has all seemed to changed.

Dewynters have lost many accounts recently and a lot of Broadway transfers etc. Their main revivals, aka, have got loads of work and the majority of new shows recently seem to go with them rather than with dewynters who once seen as the prime theatre marketing agency.

Unfortunatly recently their ways of marketing have not been updated and they tend to do the same old thing and got very snooty - this has now fallen flat on their faces as they have few new shows their books. They are doing marketing services for Love Never Dies- but certainly not all of it.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Predictable is a word i would use for Dewynters designs for at least the last 15 years or so.
Updated On: 2/12/10 at 07:31 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dewynters seem to have really not picked up on modern ways of marketing (eg: the web), whereas aka really seem to understand that and have been head and shoulders above Dewynters in developing that.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They still pander to the ticketing agencies and spend fortunes with them not realising its web and social media now.

aka and emg have kept far more up to date.

Have to stay, however, dewynters are generally the best for design work though.

Marketing agencies should go back to simply being print, design, marketing and advertising - they tried to muscle in to much on the ticketing, sales and control of a show which has caused many casulties for a shows recently.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What goes around comes around...

DeWynters were so imaginative and creative back in the late 70s and early 80s and now they're old hat.

To see how innovative they once were check out their design for the poster of BarMitzvah Boy (teenage boy's noticeboard) as opposed to what ended up on the recording cover (Annie-style boy doing a cartwheel). I can't help but think the noticeboard poster was considered way too radical for a 1970s musical (can I see a female boob on that noticeboard!).
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The cartwheel boy was on the back of the original flier which I have in front me right now!
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They couldn't make their minds up could they?!

It's like the music is very traditional and catchy, whilst the lyrics are rather more knowing:

Thou shalt not be cruel to baby brothers.
Thou shalt leave thine bathroom fit for others.

Thou shalt not be planning with teachers when thou's taking exams,
Or thou may soon be buying prams.

The show obviously had a schism right down its centre and yet I still love the score and wish I'd seen it.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The closest I can think of in recent years to 'Bar Mitzvah Boy' was 'Spend Spend Spend'. It really was a gorgeous show- what I remember!
Do you have the recording Scripps? I love the overture!
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've got BarMitzvah Boy and Spend, Spend, Spend. Love them both but I did at least see the latter (in the West End and at its out-of-town tryout at the West Yorkshire Playhouse).
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember the first time seeing the very first posters for 'Aspects' and Miss Saigon' around town- they were mind blowing.
It took me days to notice that the 'Miss Saigon' artwork was more than a helicopter!
It took some time for many people to see the entwined lovers in the 'Aspects' logo?

I have 4 of the very first print of the 'Miss Saigon poster- only 250 were printed by Dewynters.
I also have 7 of the original posters for 'Aspects with Roger Moore's name above that of Ann crumb and Michael Ball. They are not numbered because the public never got to see them before they were destroyed!
Offers welcome!
Updated On: 2/12/10 at 05:47 PM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Aspect of Love logo is an interesting one because I only just noticed it is two lovers when I assumed it was just a face. The Miss Saigon one is a great one although I knew it was a helicopter and a face.

Cats and Phantom are great ones as they can sell the show without using the name, Les Miserables I like but the image of Cosette is taken from the original novel. The 1994 and 2009 productions of Oliver! with Fagin's face is very good as was the 1991 Production of Joseph's logo with the title of show done like a coat.

There are so many posters which Dewynters have done which are memorable.
mikeysussex
Understudy
Understudy
Your points about DeW are interesting. A number of key staff have left over recent years (including MD Robert and creative head Russ) and I think that the agency, which started off with a small number of staff, has now been swallowed up by a conglomerate (for around 15m). It used to be a great place to work so your point about it being "snooty" is very poignant.
Updated On: 2/14/10 at 04:31 AM
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All my favourite West End posters have been designed by Dewynters. Aspects, Saigon, Cats, Phantom, Follies, Sunset, Oliver (1994), My Fair Lady (2003) are simply delicious. However, they are still living off that reputation. Their design is still second to none as they have so much experience behind them - however they just haven't modernised at all. And given the fact that very few new shows come out now - it means shows will go elsewhere (dewynters still consider themselves as the premier choice, and their fees still show that!) If the shows have the design work (and the majority do now as they either are revivals, from a tour or from broadway) they will go to aka, emg etc ...

Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My Fair Lady 2001 poster is alright if a bit bland and not as clever as say Oliver! or Aspects of Love.

Did Dewynters do the artwork for Wicked and Avenue Q when they first opened because they were slightly redesigned from the original posters especially Wicked which has a more solid look although they reverted it to the orginal logo but kept the artwork the same.

keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Dewynters my have run out of good ideas but the logo for Love Never Dies doesn't seem that interesting or innovative.
mikeysussex
Understudy
Understudy
They certainly did the printing for both 'Wicked' and 'Avenue Q'. I think that their first big loss was when 'Mamma Mia' went to another agency. 'Chess' was originally a biggy for them so it must have been a bit of a surprise when they didn't get the next one. However, this might have been be because of different writers/producers on 'MM' (rather than Benny/Bjorg).